News:

PD.com: can increase your susceptibility to cancer, dementia, heart disease, diabetes, influenza, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus - even the common cold.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Drinks are on the Supreme Court

Started by Cain, October 02, 2018, 12:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: nullified on August 09, 2019, 08:52:55 PM
Working interview over. Paycheck acquired.

Job: acquired. Today's training and Monday will continue it it seems!

Excellent!  Good luck!
Molon Lube

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

altered

Second call I listened in on today I ended up helping out. Basics like "how airplane mode works" and "standard WiFi network setup and nomenclature" are mystical powers to some of our reps. Fun stuff though.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: nullified on August 10, 2019, 04:02:04 AM
Second call I listened in on today I ended up helping out. Basics like "how airplane mode works" and "standard WiFi network setup and nomenclature" are mystical powers to some of our reps. Fun stuff though.

I have the same thing at work with industrial controls.  To everyone around me, they are a weird black box powered by voodoo.

I'm like "Come on, this is obvious."  Then they look at me funny and call me a damned wizard.
Molon Lube

altered

To be fair, this was a man in the middle of nowhere, using an enterprise class modem-router-switch-WAP combo (who the fuck uses a Ubiquity for their fucking house come on) and these were people who had no idea what an Access Point was and were mystified when he said "VLAN".
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: nullified on August 10, 2019, 05:36:00 AM
To be fair, this was a man in the middle of nowhere, using an enterprise class modem-router-switch-WAP combo (who the fuck uses a Ubiquity for their fucking house come on) and these were people who had no idea what an Access Point was and were mystified when he said "VLAN".

Half of what you said made no sense at all.

WIZARD!
Molon Lube

altered

Oh and I should say, the customer had no fucking clue how to use his fancy expensive setup.

Don Coyote

My ankle is a potato, so I might not start running again.
I've made something like $30 over the weekend off a game supplement. I MIGHT have solid leads on getting some wider distro. Just need to get past the anxiet that money causes.
I might have arthritis in my ankle, so I should be trying to up my disability with the VA  :lulz:

altered

Dumb shit time:

With my fancy new paycheck in hand, I went to Target today and found olive green cargo pants.

Everyone who knows me knows my fashion sense tends to waver between "whatever I got on sale" and "rotting log in an old forest." I mean, I always prefer stuff that covers my entire body and has a billion pockets, but the colors are ... variable.

But. Finally, I have a complete set of "pile of pond slime" colored clothes. Eventually I will finish this most holy color collection with "rancid meat", that dark faded red that signifies bacon flavoring in the grocery store; and "dog poo and dead trees", all mustard browns and dark grey-browns.

I'm extremely, pointlessly pleased, and I am gonna take that small win and run with it.

The Johnny

Suicide watch: An act analogous to bird-watching, in which one watches someone commit suicide.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

altered

This week is just fucking surreal. All the little things good in life, all the large things good in life. Good things in life, in general. I have the feeling I need to just start going out and meeting people every chance I get, every single time without fail I meet an interesting and useful contact.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: nullified on August 12, 2019, 05:49:19 AM
This week is just fucking surreal. All the little things good in life, all the large things good in life. Good things in life, in general. I have the feeling I need to just start going out and meeting people every chance I get, every single time without fail I meet an interesting and useful contact.

Story of my life.

I am broke more often than I would like to think about, but the world remains interesting. 
Molon Lube

altered

So it does. I suppose some areas are better suited to some people: meeting people has the desired effect in Massachusetts, elsewhere it's a crapshoot.

altered

So I may have introduced an HR rep to Holy Nonsense :lulz:

Mangrove

Holy fuck! Facebook killed every Yahoo discussion group and yet, the Open Bar persists.

VICTORY!!!!!!!! :pax:

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.