News:

Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate the fact that you're at least putting effort into sincerely arguing your points. It's an argument I've enjoyed having. It's just that your points are wrong and your reasons for thinking they're right are stupid.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Drinks are on the Supreme Court

Started by Cain, October 02, 2018, 12:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 05, 2018, 04:50:35 PM
Quote from: LMNO on October 05, 2018, 04:14:16 PM
51-49 yea votes, confirmation votes starts tomorrow.

Fucking knew it.

In a 'shocking' twist, one Republican voted no, and one Democrat voted yes.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on October 05, 2018, 04:54:05 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 05, 2018, 04:50:35 PM
Quote from: LMNO on October 05, 2018, 04:14:16 PM
51-49 yea votes, confirmation votes starts tomorrow.

Fucking knew it.

In a 'shocking' twist, one Republican voted no, and one Democrat voted yes.

I saw that.  Which democrat?  This requires life-long shaming.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Joe Manchin of West Virginia.  The 'yes' Republican was Lisa Murkowski of Alaska.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on October 05, 2018, 04:59:24 PM
Joe Manchin of West Virginia.  The 'yes' Republican was Lisa Murkowski of Alaska.

She was no.

But she will roll over in the full session.  Bank on it.

Manchin needs some sweet, sweet FB & Snailmail lovin'.
Molon Lube

LMNO

axod

Faust:
Ty for the specs. For the commercial OS, I'm prolly still gonna have to do a hackintosh, because I dont see being able to migrate back to windows anytime soon. cant even think about /usr/local.

Cain/E.O.C:
Yeah, I still dont understand GPU's very well. when I'm doing neural nets tho, I know I need about 4Gigs, at least thats what works on the desktop.

---

So, instead, today I bought some chains at the hardware store, to which I can still somewhat relate. Oh, and now I need broadband or Mr. Thiel is gonna pull me over.
just this

Trivial

Dumpster dove some Quadro k6000.  Dunno if any work because my damn power supply is short a cable  :argh!:

My luck though is they're actually fried.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

chaotic neutral observer

I was trying to teach myself to deglaze a pan, and accidentally made a small quantity of what I can only describe as "teriyaki caramel".
I don't know how to repeat this, and suspect it would be unwise to try.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Cain

Quote from: axod on October 06, 2018, 02:33:04 AM
Cain/E.O.C:
Yeah, I still dont understand GPU's very well. when I'm doing neural nets tho, I know I need about 4Gigs, at least thats what works on the desktop.

I did a quick and dirty price comparison, and a GTX 680 4GB only costs around $40 less than a GTX 1060, which is listed as 3GB but is effectively 16GB of virtual RAM.  Given the difference, I would go for the latter as the price difference is negligible but having more VRAM is always nice - it will allow you to do other things while the neural nets work away.

axod

Quote from: Cain on October 06, 2018, 06:40:18 AM
Cain/E.O.C:

I did a quick and dirty price comparison, and a GTX 680 4GB only costs around $40 less than a GTX 1060, which is listed as 3GB but is effectively 16GB of virtual RAM.  Given the difference, I would go for the latter as the price difference is negligible but having more VRAM is always nice - it will allow you to do other things while the neural nets work away.
Current Status: Well, at least 1080 is divisible by pi. Thar goes my future in IT and liberal democracy.
just this

minuspace

Sidebar: that rocket thing was cool, again.

minuspace

Quote from: axod on October 08, 2018, 01:08:48 AM
Quote from: Cain on October 06, 2018, 06:40:18 AM
Cain/E.O.C:

Current Status: Well, at least 1080 is divisible by pi. Thar goes my future in IT and liberal democracy.

That number after the three letter acronym, I think it's related to the clock rate. Not sure you need that to be big if you're doing nets/demoscene art instead of full texture scene rendering at 60 fps for hyper-responsive high-end gameplay. If you were looking for a laptop, one of those GPU's may require breakout via thunderbolt. Just my 2 cent.

Cain

Oh yeah, for sure it would be overkill and then some.  But for such a small price difference, I thought I'd mention the option.

axod

Quote from: Trivial on October 06, 2018, 03:44:05 AM
Dumpster dove some Quadro k6000.  Dunno if any work because my damn power supply is short a cable  :argh!:

My luck though is they're actually fried.

Could just be an ity bity resistor? Give us a ring next time, we have all diving certifications.

Quote from: Cain on October 08, 2018, 07:00:46 PM
Oh yeah, for sure it would be overkill and then some.  But for such a small price difference, I thought I'd mention the option.
I for one appreciate knowing that that might be overkill— at least now I know which way is up. its frankly disorienting, this technology is.
just this

minuspace

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on October 06, 2018, 04:42:51 AM
I was trying to teach myself to deglaze a pan, and accidentally made a small quantity of what I can only describe as "teriyaki caramel".
I don't know how to repeat this, and suspect it would be unwise to try.
It kept on whispering, "put that in your pipe and smoke it."