News:

Not just a bunch of "Trotskyist, car-hating, Hugo Chavez idolising, newt-fancying hypocrites and bendy bus fetishists."

Main Menu

Open Bar: Drinks are on the Supreme Court

Started by Cain, October 02, 2018, 12:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Looks like it is working again, sorry to disappoint.

On the plus side, this down time likely interrupted no less than 200 new Nazi/incel/Qanon videos from being uploaded.

minuspace

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on October 17, 2018, 03:36:01 AM
Sometimes, when a major internet service goes down, I imagine that the United States has been annihilated in a major nuclear attack.

But I always end up disappointed.

Me, I've been pleasantly surprised for like 75 years and counting.

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on October 17, 2018, 03:45:43 AM
Looks like it is working again, sorry to disappoint.

On the plus side, this down time likely interrupted no less than 200 new Nazi/incel/Qanon videos from being uploaded.

Hey, remember when we thought ISIS was our biggest threat?

(well, not you Cain, I meant people who don't pay attention)

Cain

Quote from: Brother Mythos on October 17, 2018, 01:09:09 AM
Thanks for the advice.

I had to look up "DSA," as I had never heard of them. Then, I remembered having accidentally met some members of the Philadelphia Chapter of the CPUSA, back in the late seventies. They were in pretty bad shape back then, as their leader was clearly suffering from what is now commonly diagnosed as dementia. It wouldn't surprise me if those people morphed into today's DSA, as no one took them seriously as Communists.

The DSA is more of an attempt to create a social democratic wing in the Democrats.  Communists hate it, because Social Democrats are insufficiently committed to Sparkle Motion the Revolution.

That said, the CPUSA is probably also still a joke.  Just not as much of a joke as the Revolutionary Communist Party, I think Bob Avakian may be actually crazy.

hooplala

Canada is collectively hitting the bong today. It's THE LAW.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Ziegejunge on October 15, 2018, 08:49:19 PM
Glad to hear from you, WizJo!

WizJo... I like that. Lately I've been thinking of myself as Joebot, the multifunctional love robot. Joebot can do most anything for hours on end if properly fueled and maintained.

For writing purposes I go with T.W. Joseph.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Hoopla! on October 17, 2018, 02:48:48 PM
Canada is collectively hitting the bong today. It's THE LAW.

HR released a new policy, "F-1: Fit for Duty".  It blabbled on for a bit about addiction, mental illness, alcohol, cannabis, and responsibility, but the import was:

1.  Don't come to work high.
2.  If taking alcohol or drugs harms your job performance, you will face the Discipline Weasel.

I'd rather they had trimmed the verbiage a bit, because I think that the policy could be read as saying that one is not supposed to come to work under the effects of antidepressants*.  A pity.  The illusion of mental health was nice while it lasted.

*Or caffeine, for that matter.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

chaotic neutral observer

Yesterday, they posted notices on the employee entrance doors, with stock art balloons, and the caption "Something new is coming!"

Today, there was a new "Please swipe your badge" notice on the doors.  Semi-transparent, nicely lettered, cut-to-fit, and a definite improvement over the piece of paper they used to have stuck on there with tape.  It was also completely pointless, since you can't actually get in or out without your badge, because of the electromagnetic door locks.

If someone thought that new signage was worth getting excited about, I wonder how they would react to free doughnuts.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

minuspace

Suddenly, the bank just charged for bill on cash deposit account, after they had automatically moved that sum to savings. My, today's gonna be a romp.

Faust

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on October 20, 2018, 05:06:51 AM
Yesterday, they posted notices on the employee entrance doors, with stock art balloons, and the caption "Something new is coming!"

Today, there was a new "Please swipe your badge" notice on the doors.  Semi-transparent, nicely lettered, cut-to-fit, and a definite improvement over the piece of paper they used to have stuck on there with tape.  It was also completely pointless, since you can't actually get in or out without your badge, because of the electromagnetic door locks.

If someone thought that new signage was worth getting excited about, I wonder how they would react to free doughnuts.

You need to start putting balloons on everything. When the cleaner comes out of the bathroom you run in and put up "fresh and clean!" balloons.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

Aha, Christmas must be just around the corner.  I know because the local supermarket is stocking it's turkey and cranberry and sausages and stuffing and bacon sandwiches.

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on October 25, 2018, 01:37:15 PM
stuffing and bacon sandwiches.

As it turns out, there is something interesting about British food.

Cain

It's not as good as it sounds.  The cranberry sauce seems like it was mailed in, and the sausage with bacon halfway across the sandwich from it is not a pig in blanket.

Still, it beats egg and cress or suspicious looking ham.

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman