News:

It's a bad decade to be bipedal, soft and unarmed.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Drinks are on the Supreme Court

Started by Cain, October 02, 2018, 12:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 30, 2018, 04:53:10 PM
DEAR LMNO:

QuoteRadium Radium Arsenic Arsenic Arsenic
Radon Molybdenum Radon Molybdenum Molybdenum
Gallium Gallium Oxygen Lanthanum Lanthanum

That is all.

That's not just a bad romance, it's downright HORRIBLE.

Cain

Quote from: LMNO on October 30, 2018, 06:39:01 PM
DEAR LMNO:

That is all.

Still a better love story than Twilight?

LMNO

Honestly,  in the years since, KStew and JPats have been pretty cool about the whole thing, and are better human beings than I gave them credit for.

But, yes.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on October 30, 2018, 06:39:01 PM
DEAR LMNO:

That is all.

It is the only thing I love that loves me back.  Shut your horrible face.  :crankey:
Molon Lube

axod

So, my search for a new laptop within bounds of practical reason keeps returning zero. from this I deduce the proximity of some kind of tectonic shift... isnt having like 9 (nine) cpu's an oxymoron or something?
just this

minuspace

for fucks sake, pls. understand nature of your appointment

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hoopla! on October 31, 2018, 12:28:05 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 30, 2018, 04:56:52 PM
Also, Whitey Bulger just croaked.

I believe the phrase is "got croaked".

In his line of work, that's natural causes.
Molon Lube

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cramulus

Quote from: Cain on October 30, 2018, 06:21:53 PM
I did some open source intelligence training today.  It was fun.  Turns out you can get a lot from Facebook profiles with the right search strings.

interesting! is there google-indexed info that isn't public?

Cain

Quote from: Cramulus on November 01, 2018, 01:06:29 PM
I did some open source intelligence training today.  It was fun.  Turns out you can get a lot from Facebook profiles with the right search strings.

Not that I'm aware of.  But with some fairly simple Facebook-domain URL functions and the ID number of the person you're interested in, you can get a lot of information, depending on how strictly they've put their privacy settings.

Cain

Quote from: Cain on November 01, 2018, 05:22:46 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on November 01, 2018, 01:06:29 PM

Not that I'm aware of.  But with some fairly simple Facebook-domain URL functions and the ID number of the person you're interested in, you can get a lot of information, depending on how strictly they've put their privacy settings.

So, I should maybe give an example here, from the exercises we did on the training day.

We were given a list of information to find on a target.  Favourite cafe, country of origin...stuff that would be fairly easy to find.  But then it's things like where he was on a specific date, his favourite kind of exercise and where he does it, what kind of car does he drive.

What's especially nasty is that if people tag you on public posts, you can get that information from them.  In the case of the car, we found out the make because a friend said it looked just like the target's.  Comments on public groups or pages of public figures are also not protected by your privacy settings.  It's tedious work sometimes, but you can get a LOT, very easily.

minuspace

Hey guys, new (2 yo., via xorg) Linux BSD bug gives you root with one simple command:
CVE-2018-14665

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: LuciferX on November 01, 2018, 10:17:11 PM
Hey guys, new (2 yo., via xorg) Linux BSD bug gives you root with one simple command:
CVE-2018-14665

I don't worry too much about exploits that require console access.  Unless the admin is paranoid, physical access is enough to hack most linux boxes with no more than a reboot.  Just set init=/bin/bash in the bootloader, and you're in.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

axod

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on November 01, 2018, 11:04:08 PM
Quote from: LuciferX on November 01, 2018, 10:17:11 PM
CVE-2018-14665

I don't worry too much about exploits that require console access.  Unless the admin is paranoid, physical access is enough to hack most linux boxes with no more than a reboot.  Just set init=/bin/bash in the bootloader, and you're in.
you could remotely ssh and escalate any user to root without physical access or reboot privs. or, is ssh considered physical access?
just this