News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Drinks are on the Supreme Court

Started by Cain, October 02, 2018, 12:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cain

First day at the new office was OK.  Probably would have been better if I had more than 3 hours sleep and wasn't learning how to use an obtuse database that is getting discarded in 3 months.  On the plus side, apart from "following basic instructions" and "not drooling like an idiot", the day wasn't too hard.  Office is nice and cheery and modern and, unlike the poor saps on the floor below, I don't have to call random people and interrogate them about law firms all day.

I also see the country went insane in my temporary absence.

chaotic neutral observer

Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Cain on December 10, 2018, 06:44:38 PM
First day at the new office was OK.  Probably would have been better if I had more than 3 hours sleep and wasn't learning how to use an obtuse database that is getting discarded in 3 months.  On the plus side, apart from "following basic instructions" and "not drooling like an idiot", the day wasn't too hard.  Office is nice and cheery and modern and, unlike the poor saps on the floor below, I don't have to call random people and interrogate them about law firms all day.

I also see the country went insane in my temporary absence.

I had to do something like this for my new job. One of the online training modules for our database was "click on the News & Updates list and submit the top release as your assignment." The top story was that the database was being replaced.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Trivial

Had a meteorologist that called in to support often because their station was full of old ass machines.  Station kept changing between huge news corps which kept tech contracts from doing hardware replacement.  Anyway, station manager tells him he's got to go now because "we need a set of boobs on camera." 

He learned his replacement is getting paid minimum wage.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

LMNO

That's horribly depressing.  Both for the woman taking over, and the guy who summed her up as "a set of boobs."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Trivial on December 11, 2018, 05:35:27 PM
Had a meteorologist that called in to support often because their station was full of old ass machines.  Station kept changing between huge news corps which kept tech contracts from doing hardware replacement.  Anyway, station manager tells him he's got to go now because "we need a set of boobs on camera." 

This is why you have a voice recorder on your cellphone, and run/dump it at all times at work.
Molon Lube

Trivial

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 11, 2018, 07:30:54 PM
Quote from: Trivial on December 11, 2018, 05:35:27 PM

This is why you have a voice recorder on your cellphone, and run/dump it at all times at work.

He is suing for breach of contract stuff, expecting harassment suits from new people, hoping they have guts.  But yeah he said they've always been horrible people, but now they're not even using corporate speak anymore.  Said the whole team just got replaced.  All contracts are talent contracts, no journalists or meteorologists.

Ratings so far have tanked.

Bonus is some of the local businesses have sponsored his facebook and web page.  He might come out ahead.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Trivial on December 11, 2018, 08:24:06 PM
Said the whole team just got replaced.  All contracts are talent contracts, no journalists or meteorologists.

Ratings so far have tanked.

The natural progression is to replace the weather report with reality TV.  Have a bunch of untrained people go outside, look at the sky, get rained on, etc.  The one with the best forecasts at the end of ten weeks wins $5000.  Imagine how much money the station will save!

chaotic neutral observer

I went somewhere I don't belong
                 I don't belong (here)

I don't know what I wanted
                  I wanted (to find people like me)

I learned something I mustn't forget
                    I mustn't forget (if you take away the rules I'm not a nice person)

The more I study people, the more I realize everyone is just like me
                                            everyone is just like me (and that is horrifying)

The more I study people, the more I realize nobody is anything like me
                                            nobody is anything like me (and that is terrifying)

I'm trying too hard to appear clever, which is genuinely stupid.
you can't help me, you're part of the problem

Q. G. Pennyworth

Cain

Urgh.  Problems with the new flat are becoming apparent.  Not least that flat-mates, who all seem decent lads, work late shift.  I can be flexible to an extent with mine, but the realities of the central line mean working anything but 0730-1600 is insanity.  But if the lads are getting back at midnight...  Also problems getting things fixed in a timely manner, some clearly broken things that shouldn't be etc. 

I am tied into a contract, but I do have the option to move to another building (leased by the same firm).  May not be a long-term solution, but I can try and pick somewhere more sturdy, with older and more professional people living there.  But with Xmas coming up sorting it out is gonna be tricky.  Might have to wait for the new year.  And then moving again, urgh...

Cramulus

what's the central line? noisy train, I'm guessing?

do you mean that the flat mates bother you up when they come home at midnight?

Faust

The central train line, if you go anything later then the times Cain mentions you'll be lucky if you can get enough space to move your arms or breath.
Sleepless nights at the chateau