News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "At least Satanists HAVE a worldview. After reading this thread, I'm convinced that discordians not only don't, but will actively mock anyone who does."

Main Menu

Open Bar: Drinks are on the Supreme Court

Started by Cain, October 02, 2018, 12:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on March 14, 2019, 01:12:31 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 12, 2019, 07:37:36 PM
Quote from: Cain on March 12, 2019, 06:27:30 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 12, 2019, 05:42:53 PM
Quote from: Cain on March 12, 2019, 12:32:04 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 12, 2019, 12:14:56 AM
I thought I had the worst job in the world, only it's the second-worst job in the world.  I know this because I was just offered a job that makes my current job look morally okay.

But you're not a lawyer?

"Industrial intelligence analyst."

Close enough.  Doing a discovery is just legal spying.

Most of it's not even that cool, really.  It's mostly watching markets and seeing what goes plonk and why.

Speaking of which...guess what our company's long term strategy is intended to be?

I'm not sure if they have realised that providing market intelligence of areas of interest to law firms means having accurate market intelligence on everything that makes money.

The tail is going to end up wagging the dog.

:lulz:

We are all collaborating with the armies of the world, Cain.  :lulz:
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

What kind of SICK FUCK plays smooth jazz for their hold music?  :crankey:
Molon Lube

Cain

Quote from: LMNO on March 14, 2019, 02:50:04 PM
Well, it's good to be the one holding the leash then, I guess?

I don't think anyone can.  Don't get me wrong, we definitely have the datasets to identify trends (incidentally, I found an old interview with Donald Trump in our archives a couple of months back).  But the analysis would require a literal army, even with the investments being made into the latest digital visualisation and integration tools that we are apparently purchasing.  It would require hundreds upon hundreds of experts to have a handle on that data.

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 14, 2019, 04:42:42 PM
:lulz:

We are all collaborating with the armies of the world, Cain.  :lulz:

Hey now, lawyers are quite strict about keeping the blood to a minimum. Other bodily fluids too, come to think of it.

But yes.  All I can hope is that my membership in every single Posadist group on Facebook will save me when the revolution comes.

Telarus

:magick:

I'm currently doing some crazy stuff with a javascript wiki, and I managed to import a 3rd party UI plugin that lets you design forms with text schemas. I've been banging my head against javascript and this particular wiki setup for a year now. This feels really good.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled quantum static.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Trivial

Old classmate of mine got an MRI and when asked what for had the best possible typo:

Dick Extrusion
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Chelagoras The Boulder

Hey guys, back on the forum after making some major shakeups in my life. Decided the entire mental health field could do well without me, decided to start driving Lyft unironically (like seriously, they're starting a union and shit) while i pursue more fun and fulfilling things, namely stand up comedy, voice-acting, and making a podcast with a friend of mine about nerd shit.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

The Wizard Joseph

Welcome back! I hope your enterprises prove fruitful.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cain

Alright, so, I can listen to headphones at work.  This is ideal, because I hate social interaction and it has allowed me to listen to a lot of the audiobooks of The Malazan Books of the Fallen while writing reports.

However...I'm running out of things to listen to.  Fortunately, work allows me to also use Youtube and Spotify.  So, in short, I need podcast suggestions.

altered

Quote from: Cain on March 18, 2019, 08:16:10 PM
Alright, so, I can listen to headphones at work.  This is ideal, because I hate social interaction and it has allowed me to listen to a lot of the audiobooks of The Malazan Books of the Fallen while writing reports.

However...I'm running out of things to listen to.  Fortunately, work allows me to also use Youtube and Spotify.  So, in short, I need podcast suggestions.

I like Sayer for a fiction podcast. Nonfiction High Weirdness, I think Astonishing Legends and Unexplained are pretty good. Beyond that, I'm not well versed in podcasts, but all of those have massive back catalogs.

ETA: I'd be interested if knowing if Telarus has any suggestions for a good ancient religion/cultures podcast. I have yet to find one that isn't clear Nazi-feed.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

The Johnny

Quote from: Cain on March 18, 2019, 08:16:10 PM

You should listen to the "Red Scare" podcast.

Well, not really should, but their whole discourse is this parroting freightrain of cognitive dissonances which im sure is giving Derrida a boner from the grave and beyond.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Telarus

It was announced today that all MySpace media content uploaded before 2016 is GONE. Supposedly due to a "server migration error", some notable internet-spags speculate a cost-dumping scheme to no longer pay hosting for 53 million songs from 14.2 million artists.

There are no backups. There is no requesting to download your data. GONE. Electronic static. Entropy spitting in the face of "The internet means forever" and flicking its balls. Apparently this happened LAST YEAR and it has taken this long for pressure from users to force the truth out.

Think about that a second.  Did you have a MySpace account at one distant time? Did you just forget the password and abandon it?

YOU DON'T ANYMORE

In 2016 all text content (including all wall posts between users) older than a certain date was also deleted "accidentally". This "reboot" caused every musician on the site to have to manually rebuild their communities from (I suppose) old distribution lists.

The internet archivists interviewed by the Loyal Order of Floating Librarions of Mu are PISSED. I mean, these are the guys that recovered GeoCities! And they can do noting. If you've been watching the Magicians tv series, you hve some idea how dangerous a librarian with nothing to loose is.

End of an era. Give me a drink.
-----
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/03/myspace-apparently-lost-12-years-worth-of-music-and-almost-no-one-noticed/
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Cain

Thanks for the suggestions.  So far all I had was Dan Carlin, Last Podcast on the Left and that weird one with Ed Miliband (whom I unironically like as UK politicians go), so anything with a backlog fills it out nicely. 

Bruno

You could listen to PatriotNurse on Youtube.

...or you could just punch yourself in the balls; the effect is basically the same.

For some reason, I chose the former, and then read the comments.

Punching myself in the balls wouldn't have come with comments.

I chose poorly.  :sad:
Formerly something else...

Cain

Do they fight infections with belief in free enterprise and the American way?

Cramulus

Quote from: Telarus on March 19, 2019, 01:52:20 AM
It was announced today that all MySpace media content uploaded before 2016 is GONE. Supposedly due to a "server migration error", some notable internet-spags speculate a cost-dumping scheme to no longer pay hosting for 53 million songs from 14.2 million artists.

There are no backups. There is no requesting to download your data. GONE. Electronic static. Entropy spitting in the face of "The internet means forever" and flicking its balls. Apparently this happened LAST YEAR and it has taken this long for pressure from users to force the truth out.

Think about that a second.  Did you have a MySpace account at one distant time? Did you just forget the password and abandon it?

YOU DON'T ANYMORE

In 2016 all text content (including all wall posts between users) older than a certain date was also deleted "accidentally". This "reboot" caused every musician on the site to have to manually rebuild their communities from (I suppose) old distribution lists.

The internet archivists interviewed by the Loyal Order of Floating Librarions of Mu are PISSED. I mean, these are the guys that recovered GeoCities! And they can do noting. If you've been watching the Magicians tv series, you hve some idea how dangerous a librarian with nothing to loose is.

End of an era. Give me a drink.
-----
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/03/myspace-apparently-lost-12-years-worth-of-music-and-almost-no-one-noticed/

Myspace has been popping up here and there on my feed for the last few weeks. I recently tried to log in using my old info (thinking: wouldn't it be great to just migrate back to a 17 year old feed and pick it up where I left off?) and found that none of it worked, despite some copy on the website saying all your old content is still there.

And I already tried shitposting on linkedin... it's just not the same. I once made a fake profile for a surgeon, added a bunch of fake credentials and friended other doctors, then posted status updates about getting fuckin fratboy style plastered every weekend. But literally nothing happened, so it was kind of a wash.

I also enjoyed Ello for a brief moment, because nobody was there except me and Cainad and Roko's Basilisk, saying "No, I will be the last one to post on Ello" (Cainad won when my phone wouldn't update the app and I couldn't log in anymore)

What's left? Friendster? no. Goddamn it.