News:

You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for PD.com.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Drinks are on the Supreme Court

Started by Cain, October 02, 2018, 12:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Happy spagday, Telarus.  Congratulations on not dying for however many years it is in a row.

Chelagoras The Boulder

Congrats on another jog around the sun!
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Cain

So I applied for some part-time thing at another dodgy private intelligence outfit.  Differences from previous ones: 1) this one has actualy clients, and so b) this one pays. A very little bit.

Anyway I haven't actually gotten a position yet but they're making me jump through some pretty significant hoops for the chance.  I'm currently at the third stage and it's like "argh, you've seen my CV and background, three sample pieces of writing, an improptu analysis from a slow news week and now you want two more articles? Make a decision already".

Trivial

Today I learned racial slurs used with their original intent are not considered hate speech on Facebook.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

LMNO

So, if I use the N-word as a way to denigrate, dehumanize, and Other descendants of slaves, that's OK to Facebook?

Don Coyote

Some little shit ass indie rpg designer deleted his whole fucking account including his storefront because I reported him for harassing me.

hooplala

Quote from: Don Coyote on March 25, 2019, 03:04:28 PM
Some little shit ass indie rpg designer deleted his whole fucking account including his storefront because I reported him for harassing me.

Details, please.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Don Coyote

Quote from: Hoopla! on March 25, 2019, 03:05:21 PM
Quote from: Don Coyote on March 25, 2019, 03:04:28 PM

Details, please.

Alright

So, someone started up some noise about making itch.io the place for folks to set-up and selling rpg shit because drive-thru rpg takes a stupid big cut. We get a forum specif to table-top games.

There is a discussion on how games in general need more tools for narrative guidance. Sure, some do. Then op goes into why DnD NEEDS them. Shit like 'explaining what a dragon can mean metaphorically' and 'how to use violence to tell a narrative explicitly.' So I start asking questions. And I get misunderstood. And insulted. And misunderstood. Repeatedly. So I finally say, 'look I know what a fucking metaphor is. I have a fucking degree related to this.'

So THIS ASSHOLE doesn't even get into this thread, even through two of friends, were two different degrees of hostile to mean, who I both reported and nothing happened to them. This asshole white cis man makes a thread in the same subforum passive-aggressively saying white (cis) men need to  shut-up and not "explain and keep explaining and cite our qualifications and rephrase ourselves,' because I guess me being in ONE thread was dominating the forum.

So sure, he sort of had a point. I had no idea what I was doing a pattern of behavior that has a chilling effect on marginalized creators. But he ended with a  "ps if you think I am indirectly talking about you, I might be." At first I was, sure, maybe he has a point, kind of a rude shit with his childish ps.

Then I notice that him, and two of folks who were aggressive, and two of the mods, and another person who was 'reasonable' are all part of a small gaming cohort. And I start thinking, 'wait. I recognize this. This is a trolling tactic.'

So I called him out for calling me out, telling him to shut up because why the fuck should I listen to a white cis man telling me wut. And reported him for indirectly harassing me.

Another mod stepped in and gently reminded us to adhere to the code of conduct, which at a the time was in an inaccessible sub-forum.
Another mod locked and archived the thread after I reported the OP citing the breaking of the site code of conduct.

Then I find out this piece of shit was vague tweeting me on twitter crying about how I won an argument because I kept talking in the powers that be step in to support me.

Like no?

BTW

The forum, while still new, is kind of dead except for a bunch of theory wank. All of the game specific dev forums have minimal activity, and ostensibly this was supposed to be a place for trad and indie/story gamers to start talking to each other again. But all I see is mostly indie gamers wanking about theory.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 25, 2019, 04:42:59 PM
Welcome to Howl's World.

For real. I restrained myself full on shitting him because i am an adult and I actually do shut up and listen, when folks are talking other games I am not interested or about the intersection if racism and the like.

But the instant some punkasses start trying to say what dnd OUGHT to do, I just have to say 'why.' DND is always at worst the 3rd best game at doing any one thing. Like if the thrust of someone's arguement is 'shut up white boy get fucked.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Don Coyote on March 25, 2019, 04:53:20 PM
Welcome to Howl's World.

For real. I restrained myself full on shitting him because i am an adult and I actually do shut up and listen, when folks are talking other games I am not interested or about the intersection if racism and the like.

But the instant some punkasses start trying to say what dnd OUGHT to do, I just have to say 'why.' DND is always at worst the 3rd best game at doing any one thing. Like if the thrust of someone's arguement is 'shut up white boy get fucked.

When they follow you home with stupid grins and their pants full of shit, you are a Doktor.
Molon Lube

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 25, 2019, 05:01:13 PM
Quote from: Don Coyote on March 25, 2019, 04:53:20 PM
Welcome to Howl's World.

When they follow you home with stupid grins and their pants full of shit, you are a Doktor.

The best part is only the white cis man got moderated and then flounced. But it's the Man coming on him that is such a travesty.

altered

This kind of BS is why I dropped out of tabletop communities. I had a tabletop system I was working on focused on politics, social combat and heist sort of gameplay, and the communities soured me on ever fleshing it out beyond running, max, one campaign with some friends some day.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Don Coyote

Well it did basically sour me on participating in this grand new forum. Like I have a game-conceot I'd really like non-dnd grogs to look at, but like fuck most indie gamers.

altered

Quote from: Don Coyote on March 25, 2019, 09:35:36 PM
Well it did basically sour me on participating in this grand new forum. Like I have a game-conceot I'd really like non-dnd grogs to look at, but like fuck most indie gamers.

It's all so /cliquey/. Everywhere I go. I hate it. And so I left it; they don't need me and I don't want them.

If you need some feedback, I make no promises on speed, but I am obsessive about mechanical design and wouldn't mind doing some consultancy.

I'll even give you a 50% off deal from my usual price of 0USD/hr and waive my flat fee entirely (normally ten cents).
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.