News:

I just don't understand any kind of absolute egalitarianism philosophy. Whether it's branded as anarcho-capitalism or straight anarchism or sockfucking libertarianism, it always misses the same point.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Drinks are on the Supreme Court

Started by Cain, October 02, 2018, 12:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

I'm pretty sure it was yesterday (the 31st)

Fujikoma

Quote from: Cain on April 01, 2019, 10:51:05 AM
Quote from: Fujikoma on April 01, 2019, 03:02:57 AMWhy can't we all be ninja?

Because only real Gs move in silence, like lasagna.

I swear we all went over this in 2016...

I wasn't here in 2016, apologies, I was still going over WHY I got my ass roasted here, and I'm slow so it took a bit.

EDIT: Granted, that little punk ass that used to be me deserved it.

Cain

I meant the entire planet kinda discussed it.

But it was 2011, apparently.

Fujikoma

I was stuck in the middle of nowhere tending to various animals and plants... I missed a lot.

EDIT:When your primary source of information consists almost exclusively of "The Blue Cliff Record" and giggling your ass off at Alex Jones while your boss tries to tell you to take it seriously, everything sort of loses focus.

Al Qədic

Well, today was interesting: first day of the new quarter. One class is identical in its beginnings to when I tried and failed to take it last quarter, yet somehow seems more interesting this time. Maybe because the teach isn't that "likely plucked from a high school and so understands teaching as demeaning teenagers" type. Another class (world relations politics of all things) has a pretty funny guy for a prof; he opened class with something I'll paraphrase below for brevity's sake. Third class ended a half hour early, and I'm kinda torn about it, cause it's the "I'm enrolled in this because I need the units but I don't necessarily plan on taking it" kinda class for me right now, but other than the annoyingness of watching movies as homework (boy don't I sound fun at parties? :kingmeh:), it seems really chill and interesting. We'll see what pans out. Also, left the Cult of The Upright Citizens Cabal (if those spags see this; hey Doc Rev, good luck with your shit), so yeah. EDIT: Also learned today that the graffiti that is my icon is still in its normal spot, untouched, much to my surprise. The TV lives!

Now for that story from the Poli Sci prof:
He started with this: You know, we live in a very bureaucratic world, especially here on campus. But what's bureaucracy?

So, I live pretty close to campus. For a while, I just walked to work. But eventually I thought "Hey, you know that whole parking pass system thing the school has? Maybe I should use that."

And it's funny that I thought that, really, cause the thing about that system is, you get access to parking in exchange for basically agreeing not to take a carpool to work. Weird, right? But whatever.

So I go to the parking office, wait in line forever--you know how it is--and I get up to the front desk, tell them I want to get myself a pass to access certain parking spots, and the lady goes:

"Well...where's your bike?"

"My...my what?"

"Your bike."

"I...don't use one. I walk to work."

She went on from there about how "that's just not going to cut it." So fine; I'll get a bike. Went into my garage--I have 3 kids--and I looked at the bikes, just sitting there lined up. Now, I didn't wanna inconvenience them, and I didn't want to inconvenience myself too much by going through with all this, so I grab the smallest one.

Next day, I go to this place on campus where they do bike repairs and rentals and such, and they can register your bikes with the state. So I go up to them, they ask what bike I want to register, and I plonk down this tiny little tricycle. Naturally, they look at me with confusion, but they nod, and accept it, and in due time it's done.

So I go back to the parking office, get to the front of the line, put my kid's now-registered bike on the desk and say, "Here's my bike." The lady just blinks, looks totally unfazed, and we start the paperwork to get me that parking pass.

He just smiled, walked back to his laptop to continue the lecture slides, and said, "That's bureaucracy."
There is no reason to,
Be ashamed of poetry. It,
Is natural. But you should,
Still do it in private,
And wash your hands afterward.

Fujikoma

Ok I didn't read most of your post because I promptly became convinced you were a crytaline being, and not like, germy mutant apes like the rest of us.

EDIT: I do like you, just, teasing?

Al Qədic

Quote from: Fujikoma on April 02, 2019, 06:01:41 AM
I promptly became convinced you were a crytaline being, and not like, germy mutant apes like the rest of us.
I'll gladly take either of those as compliments. :lulz:
There is no reason to,
Still do it in private,

Fujikoma

That is not a very good thing, but ok, send pics.

Al Qədic

Quote from: Fujikoma on April 02, 2019, 06:39:56 AM
That is not a very good thing, but ok, send pics.
Of what? Myself? The graffiti? If you want the latter, you're looking at it right now. If you want the former, then...no. :kingmeh:
There is no reason to,
Still do it in private,

The Wizard Joseph

So I've applied for work at a local Foundry. It'll be very hot and dirty, but the pay is excellent with a lot of potential for overtime. I have an interview next Tuesday. Here's to hoping because the benefits package is excellent and I very much need good insurance. I'll probably be grinding burrs off metal Parts at first, but I wouldn't mind one day moving up to working with molten metal. If I can stick it out there for another 30 years I'd be able to retire sitting very nice indeed. I'm really hopeful that I'll get the job. Working as a temp and day labor is lame.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

altered

Good luck!

And if you get the job, throw me some of whatever luck you have left over, I could use an income instead of begging friends to keep me alive.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: nullified on April 02, 2019, 10:45:02 PM
Good luck!

And if you get the job, throw me some of whatever luck you have left over, I could use an income instead of begging friends to keep me alive.

Thanks!

If I knew of a way to transfer you some good fortune I would. I know how it feels to be leaning on friends just to get by. Unless they're Saints or suckers eventually they'll stop and things can get bitter.

Have you considered signing up with a staffing agency or something?
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

altered

I appreciate the thought, but staffing and similar options are not good ones for me due to a whole shitload of medical and mental issues. There is no point going into extreme detail, suffice to say I need a stable job that fits a whole bunch of unusual parameters or a stable enough living situation to leech off of that I can get SSI again, which is not a short term stay.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: nullified on April 03, 2019, 12:45:52 AM
I appreciate the thought, but staffing and similar options are not good ones for me due to a whole shitload of medical and mental issues. There is no point going into extreme detail, suffice to say I need a stable job that fits a whole bunch of unusual parameters or a stable enough living situation to leech off of that I can get SSI again, which is not a short term stay.

Fair enough. My sincere best wishes. I hope you find somthing that works!

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

altered

Working on that SSI now. I have my fingers crossed.