News:

What the fuck is a homonym?  It's something that sounds gay.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Drinks are on the Supreme Court

Started by Cain, October 02, 2018, 12:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fujikoma

Agh, my fucking brain wants to explode, but it does that from time to time.

Don Coyote

The bullshit RPG forum is still mostly theory wanking, indie/storygame discussions, and one person telling folks why they don't like the OSR or DnD.  :lulz:

altered

I mean I'm not a huge D&D fan but ... like, you could be playing Rifts or some shit. And it's hard to convince any random group to play anything but D&D or Pathfinder, d20 isn't an innately terrible system, and simplicity has its value?

And although some OSR systems definitely go too far, mistaking genuine stupidity for a good thing lost over time, the ones I've seen tend to be on the good side of that line. They aren't for me, but I'm sure they'll end up inspiring things that are indeed for me.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Don Coyote

Yeah, but the bulk of any critque of any DnD I see from THOSE PEOPLE is, DnD is imperialistic/colonialist/racist/white male power fantasy, only about combat, needs to have MOAR storytelling tools (or tools it already has but like reading it hard), or isn't a RPG because PCs can die (easily in OSR) so there is no real character development or growth.

And I'm all...ok some of those are valid points, but...like shut up unless you got some shit better than "I took A creative writing, women/gender/race studies course in college" level takes.

AND dnd etal are a pretty good lingua franca. A lot of THOSE PEOPLE just seem really bitter than no one wants to play their hipster game at their local shop.

Also RIFTS is literally heavily and baroquely house-ruled AD&D.

Cain

altered

That's all true, but Rifts is also bar none the most irritating system I ever smashed my head into in the wild. I'd rather play Shadowrun 4e, no house rules, with someone who only knows how to run old White Wolf games, than spend ten minutes in Rifts ever again.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Cain

Sounds like you need to play more FATAL

altered

You can't just say that sort of shit, dude, it makes everyone unhappy. I had /forgotten/. Forgotten, do you understand? You ruined it! You've ruined everything! Now I need to go back to therapy and be chased by wildebeests again.

Don Coyote

Quote from: nullified on April 04, 2019, 09:30:37 PM
You can't just say that sort of shit, dude, it makes everyone unhappy. I had /forgotten/. Forgotten, do you understand? You ruined it! You've ruined everything! Now I need to go back to therapy and be chased by wildebeests again.

But have you tried

GURPS: FATAL                                                   :horrormirth:

altered

That can't be a real thing. I'm not even going to look, i just will pretend you're making it the fuck up to /poison/ my soul

Don Coyote

Quote from: Cain on April 04, 2019, 09:25:48 PM
"die easily"

GURPs says hi.

Or Rolemaster. Although tbh it's not that hard because you have crossreference like 20 charts before you find out if you died or not.

Telarus

My daughter and her crew at vocational-school tried playing a session of Human Occupied Landfill last month. Yeah, that game never lasts more than 1 session. They went back to their weird oD&D+3.5+4+Pathfinder2.0 thing they play between other games...

If you want a game that takes this kind of this 'seriously/humorously' (instead of juvinile-humorously), I recommend Tales from the Floating Vagabond.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/TabletopGame/TalesFromTheFloatingVagabond
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/2010/Tales-From-The-Floating-Vagabond

Also, I seemed to have designed something that can create character sheets for any system as part of another javascript-wiki I use. It helps if you know HTML a bit, and 'common wiki-syntax', to get started, so I'm trying to design a more user-friendly package. But it does need testing if anyone is curious.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

altered

How interested are you in mobile testing? I have a computer too, but I barely have time for it lately.

Fujikoma

OMFG someone dropped the F bomb... shit.

Pergamos

Quote from: Don Coyote on April 04, 2019, 08:54:31 PM
The bullshit RPG forum is still mostly theory wanking, indie/storygame discussions, and one person telling folks why they don't like the OSR or DnD.  :lulz:

Could you post a link?  I could use some RPG discussion.