News:

PD.com: Better than a xylophone made out of live kittens that you play with a tazer.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Drinks are on the Supreme Court

Started by Cain, October 02, 2018, 12:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Don Coyote on April 22, 2019, 02:53:54 AM
One of my friends doing some weird shitting on millenials for doing things shit reminds me of other reasons to leave FB. Like. I don't even know if she's oblivious to being a millenial or if she's doing some kind of weird 'witness my eruditness as I shit upon my peers and their behavior when we were kids' shit?

EDIT

My high school friends are such insufferable 'smart-people.'

I believe the proper tag group for that is "Imagine being such a pick me ass bitch."
Molon Lube

altered

If anyone likes death metal, I was shown something interesting. Mostly of interest to fans of 90s brutal death, tech death, and early slam, or people interested in this early stage of weak pseudo-AI replacing humans in the making of art.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CNNmBtNcccE&feature=youtu.be

As an actual band, it's overly chaotic trash, combining the worst attributes of slam death, high schoolers trying to be Demilich, and early Kataklysm. As something generated from here to eternity by a neural network, it's quite interesting.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Con-troll

Is it healthy to try to make sense of the lyrics?
I get trauma from stuff most don't even notice.

Al Qədic

TIL that Joan of Arc is kinda sorta a Confederate Flag among the French far-right; she symbolizes national pride to a people who are deeply xenophobic, and her actual xenophobia in history (cause, y'know, she was a farmer peasant child who didn't know better about how politics works) just emboldens them. Go figure. :kingmeh:
There is no reason to,
Be ashamed of poetry. It,
Is natural. But you should,
Still do it in private,
And wash your hands afterward.

altered

"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Fujikoma

I always thought Joan of Arc was pretty cool, shame she's become a flag for a bunch of shitty incels.

Trivial

Work had massive computer purge.  Very fun dumpster dive.

Sad all the monitors are actually dead though.

Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Cain

Watching the travesty that was the Battle of Winterfell has me convinced that about 500 Malazan marines could probably knock over all of Westeros even without Moranth munitions or a High Mage backing them.

I seriously cannot get over how bad the battle tactics for that episode were.

"OK, so first, we all set up in front of our trenches, right.  And then, we put the trebuchets as close as we can to the front line, so that the enemy can capture them and turn them on Winterfell without having to risk their dragon.  And then we initiate battle with a charge by the Dothraki who, when I last checked were light calvalry. Support?  No, they won't need it.  Then we will undertake a disorganized retreat to the gates without preparing a rearguard and take sanctuary. In the crypt. When fighting a necromancer."

This is about the point someone should have slit both Dany and Jon Snow's throats and taken command. But alas...

The Johnny

Quote from: Cain on May 01, 2019, 09:28:49 PM
Watching the travesty that was the Battle of Winterfell has me convinced that about 500 Malazan marines could probably knock over all of Westeros even without Moranth munitions or a High Mage backing them.

"OK, so first, we all set up in front of our trenches, right.  And then, we put the trebuchets as close as we can to the front line, so that the enemy can capture them and turn them on Winterfell without having to risk their dragon.  And then we initiate battle with a charge by the Dothraki who, when I last checked were light calvalry. Support?  No, they won't need it.  Then we will undertake a disorganized retreat to the gates without preparing a rearguard and take sanctuary. In the crypt. When fighting a necromancer."

This is about the point someone should have slit both Dany and Jon Snow's throats and taken command. But alas...

Maybe its the producer's and writers notion of humour?

Or a spit to the face and a kick to the nuts to GRR Martin?

Like sure, i can get down with a suspension of disbelief for dragons and popsicle zombies but this is too much
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Johnny

On second consideration, this whole situation was driven to happen due to plot neccessities of the future.

Ill let people deduce them by themselves as not to predict-spoil.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Faust

This is the same army that is led by the woman who gave the wights a dragon to save her boyfriend?
The wall was the perfect defense, the walkers approach, the wall hardens because of the cold.
In fact, there is no indication that the Night King ever even considered going south, until someone handed him a dragon.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cramulus

It's pretty well established that Westeronis are huge morons when it comes to fighting anything other than dudes on foot.

Like, how is this war the first time in history somebody thought "what would kill big dragon? oh! *slaps forehead* big arrow"

Cain

Quote from: The Johnny on May 01, 2019, 10:22:19 PM

On second consideration, this whole situation was driven to happen due to plot neccessities of the future.

Ill let people deduce them by themselves as not to predict-spoil.

Probably. But still...

Quote from: Faust on May 01, 2019, 11:01:47 PM
This is the same army that is led by the woman who gave the wights a dragon to save her boyfriend?
The wall was the perfect defense, the walkers approach, the wall hardens because of the cold.
In fact, there is no indication that the Night King ever even considered going south, until someone handed him a dragon.

I believe it was always established that they were heading south, but you're right about the wall being the perfect defence. Clearly it wasn't a Westerosi commander who came up with that idea, because it was smart.

Quote from: Cramulus on May 01, 2019, 11:07:45 PM
It's pretty well established that Westeronis are huge morons when it comes to fighting anything other than dudes on foot.

Like, how is this war the first time in history somebody thought "what would kill big dragon? oh! *slaps forehead* big arrow"

I'm not even sure they're good at fighting dudes on foot.  They had some significant heavy infantry...if the Dothraki had been converted to heavy cavalry and properly supported their charge might have broken the front line, which would have allowed the heavies to rush in. If they used wedge formations they could keep the wights separated long enough for skirmishers and wildlings to rush through the gaps, looking for the White Walkers to kill and dropping the army.

Or they could have remembered that Tyrion once hired an alchemist who set the entire of the bay outside King's Landings on fire and burned a majority of Stannis' navy and hired him to rig up something nasty.  They could have utilized hit and run tactics and whittled down the Night King's army while taking minimal casualties and turned his strategy of attrition against him.

But nope. Give someone a dragon and the brain apparently falls out of the back of their head.

LMNO

In the first minute of the attack, I giggled, "zerg rush!"

I will say, once I suspended disbelief, they did a really good job of conveying the feeling of "everyone is fucked".  Which made the end of the episode more powerful for me (though I have to admit, I'm an Arya stan).

The Wizard Joseph

Well I finally got some good work. I'll be assembling commercial grade heaters. The commute isn't bad. The pay is acceptable. I'll be working second shift. It's not everything I want but it's something.

Going to keep hitting the job search in the meantime. But for now this job is what I need when I need it. Only problem is it's long-term temporary. The contract might only last until January or February during their busy season. I'm told sometimes they hire people in through the temp agencies, but for now I really need to see about getting some kind of health insurance. Still I'm excited to have some kind of work and an income again.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl