News:

Goddammit.  Another truckload of bees.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Drinks are on the Supreme Court

Started by Cain, October 02, 2018, 12:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q. G. Pennyworth

Mild bruised rib from the protest yesterday. Some dumb fuck decided his commute was more important than the march and proceeded to ride his bike through. I was blocking traffic, and don't fucking play around.

You know, just in case you thought yelling at buildings was over or something.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on July 03, 2019, 06:32:56 PM
Mild bruised rib from the protest yesterday. Some dumb fuck decided his commute was more important than the march and proceeded to ride his bike through. I was blocking traffic, and don't fucking play around.

Oof. Glad you're okayish
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: TastyCle on July 01, 2019, 01:01:26 PM
So, where is everyone? Legends tell that once the place was thriving and filled with actual people. For some reason i keep refreshing the page like this was some social  media. Does anything happen like, ever?

My participation declining here coincides with me going back to school to finish my bachelor's. I'm not saying that's the only reason, of course, but it is a significant one. I'm still in school--I only have my Master's thesis left, as well as applying to PhD programs and slogging through a few more years. I found that I had less to contribute. The last major thing I remember doing is illustrations on demand because I felt like drawing

Anna Mae Bollocks

Damn.
Speedy recovery, and I hope his ass was jailed (and very late for work.) Surely there was police presence and they made themselves useful for once, rather than committing their usual gross abuses? Or an I being a hopeless idealist?
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Pergamos

Quote from: TastyCle on July 02, 2019, 07:38:53 AM
I've seen people shitpost in facebook. They are not fun at all.
Quote from: Faust on July 01, 2019, 11:30:44 PM
So, how are things? (you, yes you reading this)
I decided that university is for nerds, mainly because they didn't let me in. So now I'm gonna get a real job from trade school. How does one convince to itself and ones around it that it's actually unhealthy to be intellectual. Do I need  become an unronical Pol Pot fangirl or something to save my ego?

You could always cultivate an attitude of disdain toward the institutions of indoctrination, while still pursuing your own intellectual improvement independently.

TastyCle

Quote from: Pergamos on July 03, 2019, 09:41:09 PM
I decided that university is for nerds, mainly because they didn't let me in. So now I'm gonna get a real job from trade school. How does one convince to itself and ones around it that it's actually unhealthy to be intellectual. Do I need  become an unronical Pol Pot fangirl or something to save my ego?

You could always cultivate an attitude of disdain toward the institutions of indoctrination, while still pursuing your own intellectual improvement independently.
My motivation has been lacking since I blew my brains with various chemicals. That's totally on the institution though.
Very painful to get rid of, why even bother.

Doktor Howl

I feel your pain.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: kiss my axe on July 03, 2019, 11:51:58 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 03, 2019, 02:36:51 AM
I have not had a broken rib for decades.  I forgot how Goddamn annoying it is.  Every time you move, God puts a cigarette out on you.

How did that happen? (Hopefully putting the fear of "Bob" into some nazis.)

We had a little problem with aluminum at work.  Fire may have been involved.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Nothing wrong with the trades, but there is nothing more dismal and banal than a tradesman griping about college kids.
Molon Lube

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: kiss my axe on July 03, 2019, 08:23:20 PM

Damn.
Speedy recovery, and I hope his ass was jailed (and very late for work.) Surely there was police presence and they made themselves useful for once, rather than committing their usual gross abuses? Or an I being a hopeless idealist?

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: no

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 04, 2019, 12:51:31 AM

Nothing wrong with the trades, but there is nothing more dismal and banal than a tradesman griping about college kids.

Yep. Aside from the fact that college give you formal education in the basics of a range of subjects before you specialize, it makes you defend your ideas. It's not the only way to get those skills but if your GPA is on the line it's going to motivate you to do it. It also hopefully makes one realize that you're scratching the surface of subjects and respect expertise.

Society needs both tradespeople and academics.

Nephew Twiddleton

On the front of how I'm doing, i have 8 more shifts at my second job, and I'm very much looking forward to getting my weekends back, being able to do make progress on my research, getting my weekends back and spending more time with my wife. Also not taking the train home at night, missing the last bus and having to weigh the options of paying for a rideshare or walking for 90 minutes home

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on July 04, 2019, 03:33:46 AM
Quote from: kiss my axe on July 03, 2019, 08:23:20 PM

Damn.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: no

:horrormirth: :horrormirth: :horrormirth: :horrormirth:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

TastyCle

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on July 04, 2019, 06:27:40 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 04, 2019, 12:51:31 AM

Yep. Aside from the fact that college give you formal education in the basics of a range of subjects before you specialize, it makes you defend your ideas. It's not the only way to get those skills but if your GPA is on the line it's going to motivate you to do it. It also hopefully makes one realize that you're scratching the surface of subjects and respect expertise.

Society needs both tradespeople and academics.
I'm thinking about going to uni after getting a trade. Then I could shout at people for being detached from the reality.
Very painful to get rid of, why even bother.

Cain

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 04, 2019, 12:49:29 AM

I feel your pain.

Ribs are one thing I've never had. Which is weird, given Tae Kwon Do is at least 50% kicking people in the ribs (when you can't get the head).

But everything I've heard suggests I'm not missing out on a great experience.