News:

PD.com: "a rather irritating form of hermetic terrorism".

Main Menu

Open Bar: Drinks are on the Supreme Court

Started by Cain, October 02, 2018, 12:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

altered

It went from "you seem perfect!" And fighting to get me interested to calling my supervisor on the carpet for letting me do that and telling me to leave. I guess a customer complained to a client about it. Good thing I didn't say shit about being trans.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Frontside Back

Oh well, stuff that begins like that could end MUCH worse... Sorry to hear anyway.
"I want to be the Borg but I want to do it alone."

Bruno

Honestly, I suspect the whole thing was an act to get a couple of days of free work out of you.
Formerly something else...

altered

Quote from: Emo Howard on July 23, 2019, 06:40:07 PM
Honestly, I suspect the whole thing was an act to get a couple of days of free work out of you.

If that's the case, they got one day. Just one. And one sale that I won't get paid for because they didn't teach me Meridian before I got canned. Plus two phone calls and three warm leads. So it is a pretty believable suggestion.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

altered

Great news: work is so goddamned easy to find these days that I just went and put out 20 applications all over again, and this time eyeballed the job requirements for "polished/professional appearance". Cut those ones right out and still have a massive selection.

I'll never be a suit. I'm not built for it on any level — for one thing, customers tend not to fucking hate me on principle. And if I end up somewhere else that expects you in a monkey suit with a buzz cut and no piercings or tattoos, I expect I'll repeat this whole mess.

I got a debt collections agency that wants me and just applied to ten tech support jobs on top of that. Even got some interest for a nice paying secretary job. Part time, but still good pay. These last jokers just lost out, and I condemn them to huddle fearfully in a ditch downwind of the eternal tire fire. Such is my power.

Trivial

I'm wondering why we continue to employ our sales people.  "Hey, station needs thing, sell them thing"  "I'll put it in their next contract."  "They need it now or they can't do thing on air" 

"Fine I'll write something up."

Could just replace them with a web page.  WTF is wrong with them.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

altered

Up sales and convincing the uncertain.

You can sell anything via webpage, but it's a lot harder to create a problem that only you can solve, and which conveniently you can solve right now for the low low price of your dignity, a cost that will only come due years and years from now when you realize how badly you let yourself be manipulated.

From the customer end, it opens an opportunity to wrangle deals and price cuts out of the seller. Everyone gains from having human sales people in the loop, so long as they're verifiably sociopathic.

Trivial

I'm not saying any salesperson, just ours, they don't seem to like it when support gives them leads.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

altered

Ah, my mistake. Yeah, they're defective. It sounds like you should return them to the manufacturer.

Magpie

Your salespeople would get on well with our purchasers, they hate ordering anything out of schedule. I learnt to avoid talking to them about parts after spending 45mins arguing that the part shown in the parts list, and on the production drawing was the correct part. I had to get a statement from the manufacturer that it was the right part number before he'd order it.

Cain

The bots are hammering this place hard today. Must have turned down near to 10 of them.

Faust

Yep, I have banned a few russian domains because they all seem to be coming from there
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

Yeah, I had three try to activate at once, all from the same IP. Hopefully that'll slow things down.

altered

Not ready to have my meltdown (good kind) yet but watch this space.

Short story: life is weird and I might be working a dream job for more money than I ever could have hoped for from any place I applied for. Might. I don't want to get out of hand here.* There's hype to be had, I must admit...but...

Note: I didn't say "any other place". I didn't apply to this one. They didn't have open applications on the sites I was trawling.

Also note: This is historically how I've gotten every job I've ever had: I've never applied to and then gotten a job.

* I will get out of hand on request, but recontainment may be impossible. Choose wisely.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on July 25, 2019, 02:54:21 PM
Yeah, I had three try to activate at once, all from the same IP. Hopefully that'll slow things down.

I've got a couple of dodgy looking ones in queue right now and I don't know enough to know if they're bots.  You mind taking a look?
Molon Lube