News:

The only BEARFORCE1 slashfic forum on the Internet.  Fortunately.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Drinks are on the Supreme Court

Started by Cain, October 02, 2018, 12:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mangrove

Quote from: Cramulus on August 21, 2019, 01:48:26 PM
What did your house do to piss off that tree?? ye probably deserved it.

It's always great to see you around here, Mangrove. What kinda stuff have you been reading?

It's funny how this place feels calm and quiet in comparison to facebook. Like, facebook is the crowded night club, this place is a dive bar where you can hear each other talk.

Well, the rather hefty White Oak that poked holes in our living room and partially squished our car had a couple of things not in it's favor. Connecticut was ravaged by Gypsy Moths for about 3 summers and we had to get hooked up to the town sewer system. The grinder pump (I know, sounds like something else) was placed near to the tree and a number of people have suggested that the root system was probably compromised from that. Add in crap loads of rain, soft ground and strong winds and presto, it's 1:30am and it sounds like the whole fucking neighborhood went boom. Tree down, no power and water is running down the walls in the living room. Did we deserve it? Possibly?

That was Oct 30th 2017. We got the roof fixed before Xmas but the inside living room damage was on hold til 2 weeks ago after an expensive and protracted slug fest with State Farm. Currently Mrs & Mang and I are living out of the kitchen and one of the downstairs bedrooms while the living room is gutted and re-done.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Cain

Quote from: Mangrove on August 22, 2019, 03:59:38 AM
Quote from: nullified on August 21, 2019, 05:32:28 AM
Oh dear.

If you don't already know the whole story on Trump, become educated on it. It is worse than the tabloids could come up with. It makes the most rabid, feverish ideas surrounding political figures you've ever heard of sound positively mild.

Also, there are literal no shit neo-Nazis running in gangs from city to city, holding "free speech rallies" that are a thinly veiled excuse to be publicly racist; beat up leftists, women, lgbt folks and non-whites; and occasionally kill people. They end up outnumbered and humiliated most times.

You're out there missing the end of the world, Mang!

Trump? Shit. I was hoping it was Bob Barker from the Price Is Right.

Ok, so I might have exaggerated my media blackout.... :lol: But I am keeping a low intake. Right after the election I put a ban on political discussion in the house. I was upstairs noodling around on my saxophone and all I could hear from downstairs was the 'Charlie Brown cartoon teacher's voices' only more aggressive. It was wrecking my ability to focus on my practice. Anyway,  it's Mrs Mang' and her Fox addicted ex yammering on about the election. So I walked downstairs and yelled "EVERYBODY SHUT THE FUCK UP. I AM NOT GOING TO LISTEN TO THIS SHIT IN MY HOUSE FOR FOUR YEARS, ESPECIALLY OVER MY FOOD!!!!. Because no one was expecting me to stroll downstairs and flip out, it had the desired effect. Thus minimal Trump mentions and Mrs Mang' gave up watching the news because it was making her anxious and nauseous. She feels better and I don't have to listen to the microscopic analysis of every last molecule of McDonald's grease he happens to deposit onto his phone. I hope it's McDonald's grease....

Hamberder grease is best grease

Al Qədic

Quote from: Mangrove on August 22, 2019, 04:12:03 AM
That was Oct 30th 2017. We got the roof fixed before Xmas but the inside living room damage was on hold til 2 weeks ago after an expensive and protracted slug fest with State Farm. Currently Mrs & Mang and I are living out of the kitchen and one of the downstairs bedrooms while the living room is gutted and re-done.

Probably a weird time for me to butt in--howdy stranger whose name I vaguely recall from looking at old threads!--but I can't not comment on the fact that the day a tree goes whump in your house is the same day my Marine-serving cancer-surviving grandfather died.

In any case, glad to see another old face pop up again. Hope your summer's been good!
Coincidences are weird like that, ain't they? :horrormirth:
There is no reason to,
Be ashamed of poetry. It,
Is natural. But you should,
Still do it in private,
And wash your hands afterward.

Mangrove

Quote from: Cain on August 22, 2019, 12:59:46 PM
Oh dear.

If you don't already know the whole story on Trump, become educated on it. It is worse than the tabloids could come up with. It makes the most rabid, feverish ideas surrounding political figures you've ever heard of sound positively mild.

Also, there are literal no shit neo-Nazis running in gangs from city to city, holding "free speech rallies" that are a thinly veiled excuse to be publicly racist; beat up leftists, women, lgbt folks and non-whites; and occasionally kill people. They end up outnumbered and humiliated most times.

Ok, so I might have exaggerated my media blackout.... :lol: But I am keeping a low intake. Right after the election I put a ban on political discussion in the house. I was upstairs noodling around on my saxophone and all I could hear from downstairs was the 'Charlie Brown cartoon teacher's voices' only more aggressive. It was wrecking my ability to focus on my practice. Anyway,  it's Mrs Mang' and her Fox addicted ex yammering on about the election. So I walked downstairs and yelled "EVERYBODY SHUT THE FUCK UP. I AM NOT GOING TO LISTEN TO THIS SHIT IN MY HOUSE FOR FOUR YEARS, ESPECIALLY OVER MY FOOD!!!!. Because no one was expecting me to stroll downstairs and flip out, it had the desired effect. Thus minimal Trump mentions and Mrs Mang' gave up watching the news because it was making her anxious and nauseous. She feels better and I don't have to listen to the microscopic analysis of every last molecule of McDonald's grease he happens to deposit onto his phone. I hope it's McDonald's grease....

Grease is the word, is the word, is the word that you heard
It's got a groove, it's got a meaning
Grease is the time, is the place, is the motion
Grease is the way we are feeling

Mangrove

Quote from: Al Qədic on August 22, 2019, 10:14:51 PM
Quote from: Mangrove on August 22, 2019, 04:12:03 AM

Probably a weird time for me to butt in--howdy stranger whose name I vaguely recall from looking at old threads!--but I can't not comment on the fact that the day a tree goes whump in your house is the same day my Marine-serving cancer-surviving grandfather died.

In any case, glad to see another old face pop up again. Hope your summer's been good!
Coincidences are weird like that, ain't they? :horrormirth:

Sorry for your loss.  :sad:

All our tree damage was fixable and no one got hurt, so we tended to focus on that. Plus, when the house got hit, it was around the time of all the crazy storms in Texas and Puerto Rico. Our town was without power for a few days. Whenever white privilege rage sprang up (it is small town, Connecticut after all) we were like "Well it's not Texas or P.Rico so, stop yer bitchin'". We didn't lose anything important like people or livelihoods or safety etc.

hooplala

Quote from: Mangrove on August 23, 2019, 04:18:13 AM
Quote from: Cain on August 22, 2019, 12:59:46 PM
Oh dear.

Grease is the word, is the word, is the word that you heard
It's got a groove, it's got a meaning
Grease is the time, is the place, is the motion
Grease is the way we are feeling

best song from that movie

not even in the original play
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

hooplala

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 23, 2019, 08:45:23 PM
You try to warn people of the obvious, but they do not listen.

https://www.apnews.com/a5f4c5fac71f42438a0228dee7c93b45

"But they insisted. They went ahead," she said.

I like that the first hikers needed help an hour after they started.

Who starts a hike at the hottest time of the day?

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hoopla! on August 23, 2019, 09:39:17 PM

People who also don't bring enough water.

That area is among the most dangerous in Arizona, alongside maybe the Catalina mountains.
Molon Lube

hooplala

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 23, 2019, 09:40:43 PM
Quote from: Hoopla! on August 23, 2019, 09:39:17 PM

People who also don't bring enough water.

That area is among the most dangerous in Arizona, alongside maybe the Catalina mountains.

I hope it was fucking Blood Meridian for them.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

altered

A lesson I learned: if you think you have enough water for whatever you're doing, BRING MORE.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

The Johnny

So, I was in my kitchen and i saw a group of 10 disenfranchised ants aimlessly running around, and it made me think of the Amazon forests burning with all the species dying out, and it made me really sad.

So i made a small house for them out of some cardboard packaging.

Now they're my tenants.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Johnny on August 24, 2019, 01:38:08 AM
So, I was in my kitchen and i saw a group of 10 disenfranchised ants aimlessly running around, and it made me think of the Amazon forests burning with all the species dying out, and it made me really sad.

So i made a small house for them out of some cardboard packaging.

Now they're my tenants.

Ants just wanna clean up your mess.  So we poison them.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: nullified on August 23, 2019, 11:54:51 PM
A lesson I learned: if you think you have enough water for whatever you're doing, BRING MORE.

I tell people who need to drive through this region (The Sonoran Desert) to bring no less than 5 gallons per person, in the trunk.  And some pedialite pixie sticks.
Molon Lube

altered

I have done airsoft in Florida, and that was with a 5L Camelbak in my backpack. I still nearly collapsed by the end. Yeah, sure, I was lugging the 10lb LMG and a 4lb light rifle in an infiltration game, but I had to be dragged off the field, the water carrier totally empty, after three hours. This was a Florida spring.

I sit in a Boston office all day taking calls and go through 3 liters a day, immobile.

You never have enough water. You're made of the shit and your body is very efficient at cycling the old water out for the new.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.