News:

I hate both of you because your conversation is both navel-gazing and puerile

Main Menu

Open Bar: Drinks are on the Supreme Court

Started by Cain, October 02, 2018, 12:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Johnny

QuoteCarl Friedrich "Totalitarian dictatorship and autocracy"

"To envisage what this technological advance means in terms of political control, one has only to think of the weapons field.

The Constitution of the United States guarantees to every citizen the right to bear arms (fourth amendment). In the days of the Minutemen, this was a very important right, and the freedom of the citizen was indeed symbolized by the gun over the hearth, as it is in Switzerland to this day.

But who can "bear" such arms as a tank, a bomber, or a flamethrower, let alone an atom bomb? The citizen as an individual, and indeed in larger groups, is simply defenseless against the overwhelming technological superiority of those who can centralize in their hands the means with which to wield modern weapons and thereby physically to coerce the mass of the citizenry."
(p. 24)

Shout out to the person that recommended this author
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Cain

Whoever that was sounds like a giant nerd who hates FREEDOM

Don Coyote

Quote from: Cain on August 30, 2019, 10:25:20 AM
Whoever that was sounds like a giant nerd who hates FREEDOM

I can't hear you over the BRRRRRRRTTTTT of based Warthog.

Q. G. Pennyworth

The Wizard Joseph

You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

chaotic neutral observer

Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hoopla! on September 03, 2019, 11:16:10 PM
I'm in Rome.

Anyone need anything?

Yeah, we could use a half-dozen Brutuses.  (Brutii?)
Molon Lube

Cain

I'm in Rome.

Anyone need anything?

If you could bring back the Trevi Fountain, that'd be great.

chaotic neutral observer

I'm in Rome.

Anyone need anything?

If you pass near the Vatican, I could use some fresh holy relics.  Most of the holy has worn off my current set.  No femurs, please.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

altered

Bring me one Roman legionnaire. I need it for a friend.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

LMNO

Real olive oil, thanks. Some Colatura or Garam would be great.

LMNO

Hey, which one of youse wrote the psychohistory of New Bedford, again?

Weirdly enough, I think it's relevant to something on FB.

Cain

Just FYI, for all spambots I'm now putting sitewide bans on their email provider if they're not using a legit one.

So obviously gmail, yahoo etc are fine, but if someone signs up with say, an @seogreatspam.dprk address, everyone signing up with that address will get banned. Yes, I google them before I approve, so I know if the email is from a legit provider or not.

altered

Good to know. I'll make sure my spambots are all using stolen Gmail addresses from now on.

More seriously, thanks for keeping the shit out of here, every forum I know is packed with trash and spam now, if it's even alive.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.