News:

The End of the World is Coming, and YOU MAY DIE

Main Menu

Open Bar: Drinks are on the Supreme Court

Started by Cain, October 02, 2018, 12:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q. G. Pennyworth

Campaign is eating most of my everything, and being behind on work-work is eating the rest.

Working with the local street medic trainer to improve their mental health first aid resources, some holy nonsense material may end up getting rolled up in that (pope card format but without the pope card part). Anti-nazi project is moving along well. Hope all these new faces don't get chewed off before November when I can be around more.

Congrats to the folks making progress on legal transitions and Fujikoma's smitten ass

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on September 23, 2019, 01:56:21 PM
Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on September 19, 2019, 12:24:54 AM

[...]

TL;DR:  I took the road less traveled by, and almost fell off.

Yoink?
Yoink at will.

Aftermath: My shin didn't turn purple after all, just yellowish.  Still hurts a little under load.  Bone bruise, maybe?

I'm going to see if I can work up the nerve to retrace my steps, assuming I can find that path again.  I've been having a bad month, brain-wise, and feel like I should be doing something to fight back.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Fujikoma

The road less traveled is always more dangerous... it also has fewer cigarette butts littered about if you need to stop for a smoke break and don't have any because you're poor... but for all of what it lacks it makes up ten-fold in novelty, and this is irreplaceable, though sometimes unpleasant and on occasion, deadly.

That sense of the new that takes the routine, the hum-drum, and reshapes it into something exciting, that stretches the perception of time, splashes cold water on the face of the soul and screams "WAKE UP! IT'S HAPPENING, RIGHT NOW!!!"

Still, knowing what I do now, I'd view it with skepticism, novelty for the sake of novelty has led me to some really bad places. I'd much rather seek these unconventional experiences by either necessity, or if there's a potential payoff beyond simply experiencing the unconventional.

Juana

Quote from: Fujikoma on September 23, 2019, 03:35:17 PM
The road less traveled is always more dangerous... it also has fewer cigarette butts littered about if you need to stop for a smoke break and don't have any because you're poor... but for all of what it lacks it makes up ten-fold in novelty, and this is irreplaceable, though sometimes unpleasant and on occasion, deadly.

That sense of the new that takes the routine, the hum-drum, and reshapes it into something exciting, that stretches the perception of time, splashes cold water on the face of the soul and screams "WAKE UP! IT'S HAPPENING, RIGHT NOW!!!"

Still, knowing what I do now, I'd view it with skepticism, novelty for the sake of novelty has led me to some really bad places. I'd much rather seek these unconventional experiences by either necessity, or if there's a potential payoff beyond simply experiencing the unconventional.
I would always know more but yes, sometimes the road less traveled isn't worth it. No need to re-invent the wheel.

On a different and more life-y note, I'm due to start a long term subbing gig on Monday teaching English and history at a magnet middle school, and I'm excited. This is going to be a much better time than the last time I took a long term gig and is a major opportunity for growth, I think. Also, I met the lead teacher for the department and I think I charmed her, which is good bc a position might be opening up here next year and I will be applying.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

altered

I had the realization today that when big things happen to me, good or bad, I change as a person. The personality I present shifts, often dramatically.

For most people, this is a "duh" thing, but I have the kind of damage that leads to multiple people living in your brainmeat. Big change in people with that sort of issue tends to manifest in splitting, their own personalities (as opposed to their personae) change much more slowly as a general rule.

So it is surprising to me to realize that I don't recognize myself in my past. Even my recent past. I've come further, faster, than had seemed possible. That's not to say I think my past self was unsalvageable, but rather that my past self was fucked. Age 40, maybe start keeping my shit together a little kind of fucked. Progress possible... eventually.

All of this is to note that I'm out of my probationary period at my company and expectations have been set. I was told that if I want a position, I can and will get it, when rather than if. They will bend over backwards to make time for me. And that I'm the highest performing new hire in over four years, and one of the top performing employees in the entire company.

It's weird to realize that I, the most blatantly self-critical person I personally know the self-critique habits of, took that news not with an attempt to downplay my ability but with a "yeah, I know" sort of confidence, and an eagerness to get down to business on climbing my way through the company. Hence this whole thing. I am not who I was, and that is both particularly weird for me and apparently a good thing.

Some day I intend to write up an exhaustive list of changes I've made, not for a post here but as a sort of reminder that despite my damage, I can be functional, I can improve.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Juana

I'm excited for you, null! that sounds awesome on both fronts!  :monkeydance:
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Doktor Howl

I was gonna get my flu shot this Wednesday.

Instead, I got the flu on Saturday. 

Pour some out for your homie.   :cry:
Molon Lube

hooplala

Quote from: LMNO on September 04, 2019, 06:15:13 AM
Real olive oil, thanks. Some Colatura or Garam would be great.

I had no idea real olive oil would make such a colossal difference - damn.

I mean, I definitely thought it would be better, but not quite so drastically.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cain

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 24, 2019, 06:08:25 PM
I was gonna get my flu shot this Wednesday.

Instead, I got the flu on Saturday. 

Pour some out for your homie.   :cry:

Flu is sneaky like that.

hooplala

Quote from: Cain on September 04, 2019, 12:56:44 AM
Quote from: Hoopla! on September 03, 2019, 11:16:10 PM
I'm in Rome.

Anyone need anything?

If you could bring back the Trevi Fountain, that'd be great.

It turned out to be over the weight limits for my plane.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

Quote from: Hoopla! on September 24, 2019, 07:57:32 PM

I know, right?

hooplala

Quote from: LMNO on September 24, 2019, 08:04:29 PM
Quote from: Hoopla! on September 24, 2019, 07:57:32 PM

I know, right?

And now I know how to identify the real thing.... so that should make things easier moving forward.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

altered

How IS it better? I know now that it is but not in what ways.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Faust

Sleepless nights at the chateau