Open Bar: Drinks are on the Supreme Court

Started by Cain, October 02, 2018, 12:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magpie

Just the skull and nothing else? Was that  time for police or archaeologists?

Cain

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 09, 2019, 12:05:54 AM
Quote from: Magpie on October 08, 2019, 10:51:18 PM
Well, they'll have to dig down to the leak won't they, and you can't start digging until you work out how many hole supervisors you need.

Also, if it's more than 1.3 meters down, they need to do a confined space entry permit.

And they have to make sure no other utilities are in the way.

And later they need a couple of guys with shovels.

They haven't paid any great attention to the law before, so why start now?

The burst pipe damage was pretty extensive, too

LMNO

altered

Things I said at work:

"There's probably only like two or three problems, but they're combining so it looks like a mess. Think of it like paint: you have a can of blue paint, a can of red paint, and you smash your head into it until you black out."
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: nullified on October 10, 2019, 03:35:04 AM
Things I said at work:

"There's probably only like two or three problems, but they're combining so it looks like a mess. Think of it like paint: you have a can of blue paint, a can of red paint, and you smash your head into it until you black out."

:lulz:
Molon Lube

altered

Tonight was an express trip to hell. It had all the hallmarks of a fucking manager who's never worked a call center floor in their life who got obsessed with something fucking shiny.

Untested, pushed through on hardware that didn't support it, no IT or internal support personnel on floor, literally were not able to take a call all fucking night. What a fucking mess.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

altered

Actually, it's just this fucking day. I woke up to a new genocide, walked into a useless mass of chromebooks and despair, got fucking deadnamed by my work computer, and am now being tailed all the way home by a bunch of highly drunk homophobes.

Fortunately, I haven't been clocked, they're paying me no mind. Unfortunately, I get to hear all the fun shit they have to say about "faggots."

altered

Quote from: nullified on October 10, 2019, 05:11:57 AM
Tonight was an express trip to hell. It had all the hallmarks of a fucking manager who's never worked a call center floor in their life who got obsessed with something fucking shiny.

Untested, pushed through on hardware that didn't support it, no IT or internal support personnel on floor, literally were not able to take a call all fucking night. What a fucking mess.

I can now confirm that this was in fact EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED.

ETA: Surprisingly, they somehow got the system working today. We are two hours past time of breakdown last night and it's actually smooth! Slow as hell, but without incoherent breakage. Big surprise there.

Trivial

Quote from: Magpie on October 09, 2019, 07:46:01 AM
Just the skull and nothing else? Was that  time for police or archaeologists?

Archaeologists, I don't think we got when the person died.   I do know they determined it was native and they put it under a boulder on the side of the road and marked it in city maps.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Trivial

Oh that reminds me there's this one mysterious blanks spot in Dubuque that would have an awesome view for any sort of building, completely void of trees unlike the surrounding area on the hill.  I learned there was a cemetery there and they exhumed the bodies that were marked and moved them to another cemetery, but then they just kept finding more bodies.  Construction has since halted because you have to pay $1000 to move an old body.  They found like 900 there in 2007.

Anyway, there's also apparently buried treasure around there.  Maybe they can get a reality show to pay to remove bodies while they search for it.

Trivial

https://bit.ly/2oq8GpT  Jester found a flaw in this website's design.

Some of it is pretty easy to fiddle with:

https://tinyurl.com/y3p9pozt

*Not sure if these will work on phone browsers.

Fujikoma

Thanks for the insight, Cram. Very good points. Sometimes, for me, it's a little too easy to let the conscious mind interfere with the haze of grey, intuitive static that is actual thought. Retroactive self-criticism can be healthy to a degree but overdoing it is likely not a good idea. The conscious mind has other things to be handling, some things aren't within its scope. Luckily there seems to be few ways to screw this up. Overthinking things is one of them.

Fujikoma

I should also add that I decided to stop being a caveman and get some vaccinations. One was for the flu, which, I've traditionally objected to because it used to make me sick, and the other was for hepatitis B, which I'd somehow previously been infected with, and fought it off but showed no signs of antibodies, so me and my doctor decided to nuke the site from low orbit because it beats taking another test before deciding whether or not to vaccinate. I didn't get sick. Neat. Unsure if they changed something in the way vaccines are produced or not but not even a sniffle. I guess I CAN be socially responsible, well, at least, sometimes.

I quit smoking, took up vaping but every week I vape less and less, perhaps someday I'll eliminate that cash-sink outright, but it's been a shitton cheaper than smoking. I recently got a prescription for Naltrexone in the hopes that it will help me train my mind to not drink until I'm half-dead. All in all, things are looking up. Getting my shit together, one small piece at a time.

Al Qədic

Quote from: Fujikoma on October 12, 2019, 05:59:06 PM
I should also add that I decided to stop being a caveman and get some vaccinations. One was for the flu, which, I've traditionally objected to because it used to make me sick, and the other was for hepatitis B, which I'd somehow previously been infected with, and fought it off but showed no signs of antibodies, so me and my doctor decided to nuke the site from low orbit because it beats taking another test before deciding whether or not to vaccinate. I didn't get sick. Neat. Unsure if they changed something in the way vaccines are produced or not but not even a sniffle. I guess I CAN be socially responsible, well, at least, sometimes.

I quit smoking, took up vaping but every week I vape less and less, perhaps someday I'll eliminate that cash-sink outright, but it's been a shitton cheaper than smoking. I recently got a prescription for Naltrexone in the hopes that it will help me train my mind to not drink until I'm half-dead. All in all, things are looking up. Getting my shit together, one small piece at a time.

Good man. I'm doing much the same, though I'm replacing ennui with enthusiasm instead of replacing toxic sludge in a tube with vapor in a tube. Satisfaction will come in due time, eh?
There is no reason to,
Be ashamed of poetry. It,
Is natural. But you should,
Still do it in private,
And wash your hands afterward.

altered

For my part, I've replaced optimism and believing the best of people by default with a grin and the absolute 100% certainty that if they cannot find a pig to fuck, they will buy some bacon and play oinking noises on YouTube.

I literally laid out a roadmap of how this would go down and asked for bets. My team had no takers. Sure enough, we're sitting just above the high tide mark, watching the sewage roll in. Every single person in the company has now said this was a disaster and has only made things worse. But Lord Overseer has made the demand, and so the valves are open and the shit will flood in and we will all die.

And I can't really bring myself to care too much. In fact, I've started using the system as an excuse to fuck off at work. I /never/ fuck off at work here, it requires effort and excuses must be made and witnesses must be shot in the throat and the bodies stashed on the scaffolding in the smoker's alley. This new system does all of that for me, and actively prevents me from DOING THE WORK THEY PAY ME FOR, so why not?