News:

PD.com: More merciless than a statue of Ming.

Main Menu

Mail bomb speculation thread

Started by ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞, October 25, 2018, 07:49:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: nullified on October 25, 2018, 09:34:33 PM
Genuinely not surprised. I fully expected him to say something that would legitimize political violence after his advisors stopped choking him until he said good things. It's the pattern he follows consistently.

Here we go:

Quote"A very big part of the Anger we see today in our society is caused by the purposely false and inaccurate reporting of the Mainstream Media that I refer to as Fake News," the president said in a morning tweet. "It has gotten so bad and hateful that it is beyond description. Mainstream Media must clean up its act, FAST!"

Molon Lube

hooplala

... says the guy who called the woman he paid to fuck him, "horse face".
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

altered

I mean, in actual factual reality, how different is this from saying legitimate fascists who killed a woman have as many fine people as the people saying "go the fuck away and leave us in peace"?

Trump is equating murder (and now potential mass murder) with wanting to survive (and now telling the truth). It's a "proportionate response" so to speak, if you check the subtext. So yeah, not surprised.

Hm. Does anyone know how the extreme fringe is responding to this? Milo Yappyfuck said it's a shame the bombs didn't murder people, and Instagram had to be publicly shamed into removing it, but he's essentially a nobody to everybody by now. I'm more concerned by the groups that descended from the doomsday prepper shitbags, or the same sort of Nazi street fighting thug circles as the Proud Boys. I'm curious to see if the stupid fucks are talking publicly anywhere about whether they plan to double down on this, or etc.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

altered

https://apple.news/AK3m5xwqISj-Lf5TG6bAueg

This is all old news to us folks, but it's good that they're putting it out for the dumb fucks.

It's too bad they didn't mention regimes where this sort of thing has historically happened. Starting with the worst of the last monarchs and ending with things like the Awami League in Bangladesh, etc, with all the classic Eurofascist hit singles in the middle. That would have been a real education.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

chaotic neutral observer

It's interesting that none of the bombs have gone off.  0/10 is a very poor yield rate.  This either means that the bombs aren't intended to go off, or that the bomber is incompetent.  I'm betting on incompetence.

I expect the bomber will be identified within a week; sending out multiple bombs at once is a rookie mistake, and it should make the job of finding him much easier.

Without any evidence, I think the "false flag" hypothesis can be dismissed as little more than a conspiracy theory.  What's more likely, an attack from your enemies, or your allies?  Occam's razor would seem to apply here.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

altered

The news stories I am seeing suggest that they were intended to be discovered, but that going off was a "useful" side effect if it happened. They were capable of it but not set up properly for it (specifically, one source says they didn't have enough batteries to set themselves off when the circuit connected, under most circumstances).

They were still dangerous and very well could have gone off despite the issues, but this was all more of a message than anything else, is what I'm getting out of it.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on October 26, 2018, 12:53:23 AM
It's interesting that none of the bombs have gone off.  0/10 is a very poor yield rate.  This either means that the bombs aren't intended to go off, or that the bomber is incompetent.  I'm betting on incompetence.

I expect the bomber will be identified within a week; sending out multiple bombs at once is a rookie mistake, and it should make the job of finding him much easier.

Without any evidence, I think the "false flag" hypothesis can be dismissed as little more than a conspiracy theory.  What's more likely, an attack from your enemies, or your allies?  Occam's razor would seem to apply here.

All that matters is that until the election, you can shut anyone's campaign down with a manila envelope.
Molon Lube

Cain

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on October 26, 2018, 12:53:23 AM

The FBI has stated all the found items were viable. 

But pipe bombs are the easiest bombs to mess up on.  They're basically pressure based explosives, a hairline fracture in the casing can ruin the whole thing very easily.  They can also have multiple points of failure with the electronic fuse.

It also helps that the packages they are in look suspicious as fuck, which meant police were called in early or they were screened before arrival.

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: nullified on October 26, 2018, 01:10:24 AM
The news stories I am seeing suggest that they were intended to be discovered, but that going off was a "useful" side effect if it happened. They were capable of it but not set up properly for it (specifically, one source says they didn't have enough batteries to set themselves off when the circuit connected, under most circumstances).

They were still dangerous and very well could have gone off despite the issues, but this was all more of a message than anything else, is what I'm getting out of it.

I'm clearly not pessimistic enough.  "It doesn't matter if the bomb goes off or not" isn't an option I'd considered.

minuspace

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on October 26, 2018, 03:48:53 AM
Quote from: nullified on October 26, 2018, 01:10:24 AM

I'm clearly not pessimistic enough.  "It doesn't matter if the bomb goes off or not" isn't an option I'd considered.
Maybe it matters that such devices were "hypothetically functional albeit rudimentary?"

Bruno

In my opinion, if the devices contained any amount of explosive or incendiary matter, they are, by definition, "Bombs", even if the triggering mechanism was completely for shit.
Formerly something else...

chaotic neutral observer

It seems I was wrong about this.  It now appears that the bombs failed to go off because the batteries died.  That is just as easily attributed to lack of experience as to incompetence; the bomber may have tested the bomb design, but not considered the effect of a long timer delay on battery life.  This also explains why all of the bombs failed to go off.

I'm going to revise my speculation to "the bombs were definitely intended to go off, and it's fortunate the bomber didn't use better batteries".

Cramulus

I just want to take a moment to imagine the hell world we'd be in if any of the people who received bombs were actually injured or killed.

Maybe we don't live in the worst possible timeline--but we've reached a simmer.

hooplala

Quote from: Cramulus on October 26, 2018, 01:52:50 PM
I just want to take a moment to imagine the hell world we'd be in if any of the people who received bombs were actually injured or killed.

Maybe we don't live in the worst possible timeline--but we've reached a simmer.

An excellent point. And finally some proof that Murphy isn't actually running everything like the Wizard of Oz.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman