News:

There's only a handful of you, and you're acting like obsessed lunatics.

I honestly wouldn't want to ever be washed up on the shore unconscious on an island run by you lot.

Main Menu

UNLIMITED horrible bond bubble thread.

Started by Doktor Howl, October 26, 2018, 10:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Don't forget the lawyers, who will happily do deals predicated on the value of those loans, then turn around and sue people for selling those loans without due diligence.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on January 23, 2019, 05:49:09 PM
Don't forget the people who see the smoke, and then bet on the damn thing to fail.

That's precisely what I was talking about.  A crow doesn't watch a battle and hope nobody dies.  It is not in its interest.
Molon Lube

Cain

Might want to keep an eye on the non-performing loan market. Large volumes of activity...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on January 25, 2019, 01:06:13 PM
Might want to keep an eye on the non-performing loan market. Large volumes of activity...

I have been.  My hair is standing on end.

Stupid fucking humans.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

altered

So if I'm reading this right: unless you have your money invested for the real long haul, or in either the right emerging markets (total crapshoot) or consumer retail outlets (low growth if any), pull it now because it's all downhill from here. That right?
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: nullified on August 15, 2019, 07:16:30 PM
So if I'm reading this right: unless you have your money invested for the real long haul, or in either the right emerging markets (total crapshoot) or consumer retail outlets (low growth if any), pull it now because it's all downhill from here. That right?

Or place it in critical stocks (the ones that if failed means civilization has failed and money doesn't matter).

But accept the fact that you are a minnow in a huge, unregulated tank of Oscars.
Molon Lube

Bruno

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 15, 2019, 10:08:30 PM

Or place it in critical stocks (the ones that if failed means civilization has failed and money doesn't matter).

But accept the fact that you are a minnow in a huge, unregulated tank of Oscars.

I've had my 401k all in "Capital Preservation" funds since last October. As far as I can tell, it's the least risky option I have, and which is normally meant for people who have already retired and can't afford to wait for a crashed market to recover.
Formerly something else...

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Emo Howard on August 15, 2019, 10:16:40 PM

I've had my 401k all in "Capital Preservation" funds since last October. As far as I can tell, it's the least risky option I have, and which is normally meant for people who have already retired and can't afford to wait for a crashed market to recover.

"Least risky" means "eat cat food when you are 76."

Also, the longer you are retired, the more aggressive you have to be.  Everyone - including people that should know better - gets this backward.

It is an endurance contest between your cash reserves and your heartbeat.  The cash reserves should win.  Staying conservative guarantees failure at some point, usually about the point where you CAN'T go back to work.  The worst of all possible outcomes.

If you are fucking about with stock, you go aggressive and stay aggressive.
Molon Lube

Bruno

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 15, 2019, 11:15:11 PM
Quote from: Emo Howard on August 15, 2019, 10:16:40 PM

"Least risky" means "eat cat food when you are 76."

Also, the longer you are retired, the more aggressive you have to be.  Everyone - including people that should know better - gets this backward.

It is an endurance contest between your cash reserves and your heartbeat.  The cash reserves should win.  Staying conservative guarantees failure at some point, usually about the point where you CAN'T go back to work.  The worst of all possible outcomes.

If you are fucking about with stock, you go aggressive and stay aggressive.

I don't plan on keeping it in there forever. I had it in medium-high aggressive funds right up until I suck it all under the virtual mattress. I had been at a slight loss compared to not having done that up until the last couple of days when it went back to about even.

Also, I can't research and hand pick stocks in my 401k. I just have a certain set of funds that I can choose from. Though, I did drop every penny I could onto my company's stock when they offered it to us at just over half price.

Also and, I dunno nuthin bout no calls and puts and options and whatnot. I really should scrounge up some real gambling money, and learn how to play.
Formerly something else...

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Cain

I have wondered about Trump's job numbers. They always seemed too good to be true, given the disruption I am hearing on the industry side regarding the trade wars