News:

No, we're not mercenaries. We just carry weapons and kill things for the joy of the experience.

Main Menu

Obligatory Invisibles TV Show Thread

Started by Cramulus, November 08, 2018, 02:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

https://news.avclub.com/cue-the-cosmic-placentas-and-time-travel-orgies-grant-1830298144

• Morrison's beginning work on an Invisibles TV show
  • They don't have a network yet, but let's hope it's Netflix (some Invisibles Graffiti was visible in the background of a Stranger Things episode)
  • Wouldn't it be cool to see the scenes that they lifted for The Matrix?
  • Wouldn't it be cool if this story was actually filmable

Cain

• If they had done this 20 years ago, they could have had the guy from Right Said Fred play King Mob

LMNO

In all fairness, King Mob was too sexy for his shirt.

Cramulus

You know who could play King Mob?

Lawrence Fishburne

Faust

This could be a beautiful train wreck, the Invisibles is a lot of things to a lot of different people, there. I suspect the counterculture anarchistic element will be sanded down and that will annoy people. But they could have some beautiful surrealism and portrayal of mysticism and the weird,  Lord Fannies origin being one I suspect will either be brilliant or piss off everyone, there wont be an in between.

I think preacher and legion broke down a door and allowed the more experimental comic stories to be portrayed, a few things of GM stuff are getting the TeeVee Treatment, there is also a Doom Patrol show with Brandan Fraiser as Robot man and Timothy Dalton as Chief, its something I have been praying to Jack Kirby's interdimensional time traveling ghost for for over a decade, and now that it's happening the prospect terrifies me.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

LMNO

Doing Invisibles like they did Legion would be incredible.

Cain

Ed Skrein has apparently expressed interest in playing King Mob in the past.  He wouldn't be the worst choice, though there are probably better options I can't think of.

hooplala

Grant Morrison is, to me, the poor man's Alan Moore.

Having said that, the Invisibles is pretty interesting and I would like to see how it turns out.

Havig said THAT, they will have to do some work on the plot, since it goes off the rails a bit when he decided the bad guys weren't actually bad and all are one, or something. It's been a while since I read it.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

The Invisibles made me abuse prescription medication.  I hate it.
Molon Lube

Faust

Quote from: Hoopla! on November 08, 2018, 08:53:30 PM

I used to think that and a lot of online conversation is a simplified Moore V's Morrison debate. I think this is largely down to the comments GMo has made about Moore and the way Moore responded. He seems to have a real chip on his shoulder or inferiority complex about his writing.
Morrison is a talented writer but he's never had that celebrated level of genre defining story to stand over as his the way Moore had Watchmen. Invisibles is amazing and weird but it's too out there for the average audience, However his contributions to properties that are not his own are where he has shone.
It's going to sound silly, but his Superman story titled with the very forgettable "All Star Superman", is the example of a Good superman story, it is character defining, loving, warm, funny and well written. Whenever someone says "Superman is a boring character" I point them, to this.

Doom Patrol is one of my all time favorites and I could go on about that at length but we already have comic threads so I wont derail further to gush over that.

Netflix produced Happy! which is one he wrote for the screen I think, so I wouldn't be surprised if they publish Invisibles.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on November 08, 2018, 11:12:16 PM
Doom Patrol is one of my all time favorites and I could go on about that at length but we already have comic threads so I wont derail further to gush over that.

I quite liked the first 4 trades of Doom Patrol.  The Painting That Ate Paris was genius.
Molon Lube

Ziegejunge

Quote from: Hoopla! on November 08, 2018, 08:53:30 PM

I like them both quite a bit. They're more "flip sides of the same coin" to me.

Bobby Campbell

I am so down for this!

I mean Legion kinda already feels to me like a pretty awesome TV adaptation of the invisibles, but to actually get to see those characters brought to life will be super cool.

Also, I like how the metafictional context of the story gains new depth with a live action mainstream version of the hypersigil  :fnord: :fnord: :fnord:

minuspace

Quote from: Bobby Campbell on November 10, 2018, 04:20:57 AM
I am so down for this!

I mean Legion kinda already feels to me like a pretty awesome TV adaptation of the invisibles, but to actually get to see those characters brought to life will be super cool.

Also, I like how the metafictional context of the story gains new depth with a live action mainstream version of the hypersigil  :fnord: :fnord: :fnord:

"Proof of Principle —Legion"

Bobby Campbell

Quote from: LuciferX on November 10, 2018, 04:41:11 AM
"Proof of Principle —Legion"

For sure!

HAPPY! season 1 was also a pretty good, low stakes, test of GM's screen adaptability. I thought the original comic was  pretty forgettable, but they managed to turn it into a surprisingly fun spectacle.

I think The Invisibles is actually way better suited for adaptation than either Preacher or Watchmen precisely because it's such a narrative mess. The story structure and character arcs of the Preacher and Watchmen comics are super solid and pretty straight forward, so every single change they make for their screen adaptations are very noticeable, and don't always compare favorably to the comics.*

The Invisibles on the other hand is such a plate of spaghetti that who could even really tell if they were doing a faithful adaptation or not!? It's less of a story and more of a stylish delivery system for psychedelic ideas. They can really just take that huge storehouse of raw material and distill it into whatever they want.

* I like the Preacher show well enough! They get more right than they get wrong, for my tastes, but it's certainly a different kettle of fish than the comics.