News:

PD.com: Worse than that time when I conjured a handkerchief from that deaf kid's ear.

Main Menu

Expanding Universe? Redshift Redemption

Started by OS Not Found, November 10, 2018, 03:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaotic neutral observer

Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Fujikoma

I only read really one post here, and it sounded like fucking magick, but I'm an idiot so it could've been science. I've, been trying to figure out why this space donut is such a big deal, but, if, as that post says, it's going through shifts in the polar jets, then it deserves paying attention to, it just doesn't deserve all this OMFG A BLACK HOLE LEMME WAX POETIC news...

Yes, it is a space donut, yes, there is a strong possibility it's a previously unobserved singularity. Big deal, we already know those exist, what are the facts?

Al Qədic

I'd hate to add to any thread derailment but...any thoughts on the idea of black holes as they relate to the information paradox? I personally really like the idea of encoding Information on the surface of a black hole; we could all be stellar holograms and not even know it.

https://youtu.be/yWO-cvGETRQ
There is no reason to,
Be ashamed of poetry. It,
Is natural. But you should,
Still do it in private,
And wash your hands afterward.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Fujikoma on April 11, 2019, 11:20:06 PM
I only read really one post here, and it sounded like fucking magick, but I'm an idiot so it could've been science. I've, been trying to figure out why this space donut is such a big deal, but, if, as that post says, it's going through shifts in the polar jets, then it deserves paying attention to, it just doesn't deserve all this OMFG A BLACK HOLE LEMME WAX POETIC news...

Yes, it is a space donut, yes, there is a strong possibility it's a previously unobserved singularity. Big deal, we already know those exist, what are the facts?

They probably should have asked you before they invented new technology - more or less the scanners from Star Trek - and a whole shit ton of new math, right?

Waste of bloody time, because we already KNEW that so there is no reason to get EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE or do ANYTHING cool, because some fucking hipster knob end can't resist a fucking chance to sneer at the coolest thing to happen since 1969.

We are all very impressed by your jaded magnificence.  Now get back on the hurdy gurdy.  That hip ain't gonna stir itself.
Molon Lube

altered

Even at the resolution this is currently at, you could take an image of cloud cover on most discovered exoplanets as if you were in the equivalent of low Earth orbit. If you could set things up with the right amount of angular traverse speed you could see a dude standing on Mars waving at you, from Earth. (Actually I think you could see the last time he trimmed his fingernails but still!) No normal telescope can give you that, look at the Hubble and you have a pretty low resolution limit, and that's about the best we could do before without building a megastructure.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Fujikoma

Shame there's no like button on posts. Alas~

altered

Um, I do hope you don't believe I was agreeing with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Fujikoma

I was agreeing with Howl while you were musing on possibilities for intergalactic selfies?

altered

I was expanding on the part of it I found most interesting: new technology and the possibilities for it. Meanwhile, you act as though you've entirely switched your beliefs to the exact opposite of what they were a mere two posts ago.

You contradict yourself so regularly it's nigh impossible to keep up with where your little head is floating at any given time. So I won't bother anymore.

Pergamos

I actually think he's just an emotional masochist who likes the kind of abuse Howl dishes out.

OS Not Found

Quote from: Al Qədic on April 12, 2019, 12:56:15 AM
I'd hate to add to any thread derailment but...any thoughts on the idea of black holes as they relate to the information paradox? I personally really like the idea of encoding Information on the surface of a black hole; we could all be stellar holograms and not even know it.

https://youtu.be/yWO-cvGETRQ

I think what's happening is more akin to shaking an etch-a-sketch, redistributing the information through ultra-gamma spaghettified bursts, than spaghettified and stored in a cold dark prison. Still in lieu of singularities, some total internal refraction may make storage possible, but I don't think there is sufficient force to prevent verticle escape from the event horizon. Seeing this black hole as a surprisingly regular disc, I think its more probable form is a black pole of centralized mass along mostly one axis, with less of an inherent spin, as the centralized mass would be immaterial in itself, and more like someone gyrating with such force all that is becomes its hula hoops until they are indistinguishable.

So, I don't think any information is lost or perpetually trapped, but as for whether the information is recoverable, it hinges on whether or not separate causes can have equivalent effects at large scales
Natural law demands spaghetti to be eaten raw.

Fujikoma

I don't think a black hole would be immaterial, I mean, there's material there, it's just, material we'll never see, and a lot of it.

Fujikoma

What is, a black hole's closest relative? A neutron star? These come in many forms, magnetars, pulsars, etc. Magnetars can be some of the brightest objects in the sky, just by virtue of their field, this is something far denser. It's so dense it makes ME jealous.

Fujikoma

Quote from: Pergamos on April 12, 2019, 02:03:54 AM
I actually think he's just an emotional masochist who likes the kind of abuse Howl dishes out.

Don't be giving away my secrets.