News:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Main Menu

Chaos is Energy

Started by Dildo Argentino, November 13, 2018, 07:49:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dildo Argentino

Hello again, Dears,

I've been looking at Holy Nonsense. It is a most substanceful tome and pleasing to the eye, and I am duly grateful for it, but here

I think it copeth out a bit.

Creation and destruction are also a very important pair of apparent opposites. To choose the creative in the hope of an all-creative trip is, I have found, a sure way to invite a shitload of destruction into my life. Ask any manic-depressive (when depressed, preferably).
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

LMNO

You're in luck!  We went through this about ten years ago.

This is the relevant post, but the whole thread is worth it, if you're into that sort of thing (and considering this is Principia Discussion, I guess you are).

Because we used to use Photobucket, and because they became content-restricting assholes, some of the images aren't there.  I attached the New Chart below.

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: LMNO on November 13, 2018, 12:54:44 PM
You're in luck!  We went through this about ten years ago.

This is the relevant post, but the whole thread is worth it, if you're into that sort of thing (and considering this is Principia Discussion, I guess you are).

Because we used to use Photobucket, and because they became content-restricting assholes, some of the images aren't there.  I attached the New Chart below.

:lulz:

okay

Cramulus

I think

that no matter what,

your life is going to include creative and destructive elements

Destructive energy, used properly, is in service to the creation of something better. Sometimes you have to tear down something in order to make room for something else.

Destructive energy without a constructive goal becomes a disease. Think about the sourpuss negative people you know, who never have anything good to say, only criticism and negativity. This sucks, that sucks, break break break. In the end, they're bitter and alone.

But when you destroy, if you do it from a place of of love, it has a different quality. Decay fertilizes the soil. It makes the flowers grow, and that's beautiful.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on November 13, 2018, 09:53:33 PM
Think about the sourpuss negative people you know, who never have anything good to say, only criticism and negativity.

I hate those people.  :rogpipe:
Molon Lube

chaotic neutral observer

Creation and destruction, although opposites in one sense, both imply change.

There is another dichotomy possible, that between dynamic and static.  For example, a bunch of boulders scattered randomly in a field would be representative of static disorder, while a row of stone pillars might represent static order (at least until the wind and sand wear them away).

You could arrange preservation/stagnation opposite creation/destruction, but somehow splitting stasis into two elements feels like cheating, since they're just two ways of viewing what is basically the same thing.  So that leaves me at creative/destructive/static vs. ordered/disordered/???.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Cramulus on November 13, 2018, 09:53:33 PM
I think

that no matter what,

your life is going to include creative and destructive elements

Destructive energy, used properly, is in service to the creation of something better. Sometimes you have to tear down something in order to make room for something else.

Destructive energy without a constructive goal becomes a disease. Think about the sourpuss negative people you know, who never have anything good to say, only criticism and negativity. This sucks, that sucks, break break break. In the end, they're bitter and alone.

But when you destroy, if you do it from a place of of love, it has a different quality. Decay fertilizes the soil. It makes the flowers grow, and that's beautiful.

Mr Cramulus, you wax veraciously poetic!

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on November 14, 2018, 02:34:57 AM
You could arrange preservation/stagnation opposite creation/destruction, but somehow splitting stasis into two elements feels like cheating, since they're just two ways of viewing what is basically the same thing.  So that leaves me at creative/destructive/static vs. ordered/disordered/???.

If you divide the static into the preserved and the stagnating, you can also divide the dynamic into development and disruption (which often go hand in hand, too). But where are we going with this?

minuspace

Quote from: Dildo Argentino on November 14, 2018, 04:15:19 AM
Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on November 14, 2018, 02:34:57 AM

If you divide the static into the preserved and the stagnating, you can also divide the dynamic into development and disruption (which often go hand in hand, too). But where are we going with this?
How about the ADSR envelope of subtractive synthesis. It describes the stages, shape, or outline of change over time. Attack, the amount of time "slope", or velocity at which signal reaches maximum amplitude; Delay, how long it maintains peak; Sustain, the level maintained after peak; and Release, how long it takes to fade? Because, what was this about again?

Q. G. Pennyworth

I would like to take this moment to point out that this page is from the original Principia.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on November 14, 2018, 12:17:23 PM
I would like to take this moment to point out that this page is from the original Principia.

We were all not pointing that out.  :crankey:
Molon Lube

Dildo Argentino

Why, I am told there are even some mistakes in the Bible!

Q. G. Pennyworth

Dildo Argentino

Q. G. Pennyworth

Look, this thing is my baby. That doesn't mean it's perfect or that I can't take criticism, but if you're gonna come in here and go HOLY NONSENSE HAS PROBLEMS and then quote one of the five sections pulled from the Principia and act like this is a Holy Nonsense problem IN PRINCIPIA DISCUSSION, I'm gonna get my hackles up.