News:

PD.com: Trimming your hair in accordance with the anarchoprimitivist lifestyle

Main Menu

Hypocrisy

Started by Q. G. Pennyworth, December 05, 2018, 12:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q. G. Pennyworth

As someone who leans decidedly to the left on many issues, I would like to take a moment to express how utterly and completely DONE I am with liberals accusing conservatives of being hypocrites. Seriously, over it.

For starters, it accomplishes nothing. The people who are voting conservative are not unaware of the hypocrisy of their leaders, they have made a calculated decision that what they gain from electing inconstant dickweasels far outweighs whatever damage to their immortal souls they're incurring consorting with hypocrites. You won't change someone's mind or vote with an accusation of hypocrisy, so stop wasting your breath.

For another thing, it's distracting. Attacking someone for hypocrisy invites a debate as to how hypocritical a particular action is, and what someone's true moral compass looks like, and how much of a compromise position is really acceptable, and whether forgiveness is a valuable trait in a voting bloc. And sure, if hypocrisy were literally the worst thing in the world, it would be worth having that debate, but THERE ARE WORSE THINGS THAN HYPOCRISY. If you're mad about children being detained and teargassed, just be mad about that. Don't muddy the waters debating whether or not Jesus would be happy with Christians who pulled that shit.

For one more thing, it's self-destructive. If one side decides it is the party of no hypocrisy, that side will lose. Because you will have serial gropers, texters of dick pics, people who made bad jokes ten years ago and folks who are bad at keeping up with their taxes in any group of people. But if one side is willing to burn those fuckers to the ground internally and the other side is willing to tolerate that bullshit so long as their objectives are still being met, guess which side is at an advantage?

I'm not voting in favor of hypocrisy. I just want people to stop pretending that it's the most important issue of the day.

Doktor Howl

I don't care if they're hypocrites.  I hate them no matter what their motives are, and I want bad things to happen to them.

They are not for debating.  They are for mocking.
Molon Lube

altered

Definitely with you there, Dok.

I mostly feel like this is aimed at the sort of prick who wants to completely castrate the opposition to our current occupying regime in the name of not being hypocrites like them.

You know, "we're the good guys, look how nice and compromising we are" types that also break their own fingers while being rushed at by a wild boar with blood on its tusks and a jet engine of rage-shit propelling its stocky frame forward at speeds sufficient to deconstruct a large truck. More worried about how they'll look in the historical record than if their carcasses can be IDed when the crime scene techs roll around.

Self-flagellating center-leftists aren't the only ones I'm considering here, of course, and purity-testing extreme leftists fall into this trap just as easily. In both cases, it is my experience that Hypocrisy is their loudest rallying cry against their own kneecaps.

Of course, I might be wrong on this count, I can't say what our own Pope Tentacleface was thinking when she wrote it. But it's the information my reality grid extracts from it while I'm reading, and I agree with that message.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Cain

The problem with attacking people for hypocrisy is the assumption that they actually hold the values they claim to hold dear in any regard in the first place.

In the case of, say, Evangelicals and Donald Trump, the very existence of the relationship makes it clear that they do not.

I hate to use the phrase, but it's like the purported values they have are in fact "virtue signalling" than statements of belief and value judgement. 

altered

Quote from: Cain on December 05, 2018, 10:00:51 AM
The problem with attacking people for hypocrisy is the assumption that they actually hold the values they claim to hold dear in any regard in the first place.

In the case of, say, Evangelicals and Donald Trump, the very existence of the relationship makes it clear that they do not.

I hate to use the phrase, but it's like the purported values they have are in fact "virtue signalling" than statements of belief and value judgement.

I tend to agree with all of this. The cognitive dissonance involved in the conscious hypocrisy of some of these folks would be crippling. Most of them are just wearing the funny hat and saying the magic words that put them beyond question.

I do think it's important to remember that even if they were hypocrites, they're advocating death, and there is no point in focusing on moral purity when there's a loaded gun pointed at a child. Sort of like ... imagine you get in a car wreck, wake up with a horrible head injury, and immediately shop-vac up the broken glass. It's bad priorities even if it's true.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.