News:

That's okay, I know how to turn my washing machine into a centrifuge if need be.

Main Menu

Cartoon enemies

Started by Trivial, January 31, 2019, 02:52:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is the best treatment of a villain in a kids' cartoon?

Make the enemy see they are wrong/convert them to a good guy.
Keep the enemy evil, but never truly stop them.
SHUT UP

Trivial

Zuko treatment vs Skeletor treatment.  Go!
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Faust

I'm conflicted, on one hand no one wants to see a reformed hooded claw. But on the other Vegeta and Goku's rivalry escalated and became more dramatic and nuanced when they were were both fighting on the same side.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Al Qədic

To me, it depends on what the villain does, and how they feel about it. Redeeming Zuko worked because he had regret, really struggled with his allegiances (still don't think he should have listened to Azula at all by the time the end of book 2 happened), and didn't do anything too heinous for the circumstances, or in comparison to dear ol' dad.

...dunno anything about Skeletor, but I'm fine with letting a ham carry on being a ham, even if the ham is equipped with death lasers.
There is no reason to,
Be ashamed of poetry. It,
Is natural. But you should,
Still do it in private,
And wash your hands afterward.

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Faust on January 31, 2019, 10:47:16 AM
I'm conflicted, on one hand no one wants to see a reformed hooded claw. But on the other Vegeta and Goku's rivalry escalated and became more dramatic and nuanced when they were were both fighting on the same side.

A related question is whether good and evil are treated as innate, unalterable characteristics, or if characters can grow and change (or decay) during the course of the story.

I find dynamic characters are almost always more interesting to watch, although if everyone can be redeemed the plot becomes too predictable.  Cell, at least, needed to be vaporized.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Pergamos

I like the redeemed villain saving the world from the fallen hero. although I can't think of a good example at the moment.