News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

Sci Fi, zoos, and you

Started by Trivial, February 05, 2019, 04:34:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Humans put other humans in zoos. This was a real and terrible thing.  Therefore science fiction should never depict aliens abducting humans and putting them in zoos.

Agree
Disagree
SHUT UP

Trivial

Also, does this apply to other shitty things? Why?
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Al Qədic

Because I know you know I know you know (etc.) what you're talking about, I guess I'll elaborate on my point about this :P I don't think terrible things shouldn't be implemented in fiction, I just think the fictional characters who do the terrible things shouldn't be forgiven for it, at least not when they're as terrible as the human zoos and other such things. Am I sounding like a broken record? Probably.  :lulz:
There is no reason to,
Be ashamed of poetry. It,
Is natural. But you should,
Still do it in private,
And wash your hands afterward.

Faust

Something something anal probed too....
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Trivial

Quote from: Al Qədic on February 05, 2019, 04:50:05 AM
Because I know you know I know you know (etc.) what you're talking about, I guess I'll elaborate on my point about this :P I don't think terrible things shouldn't be implemented in fiction, I just think the fictional characters who do the terrible things shouldn't be forgiven for it, at least not when they're as terrible as the human zoos and other such things. Am I sounding like a broken record? Probably.  :lulz:

You said having a human zoo was part of the problem of the show because real human zoos were a thing.  That was a sin of the show.

The whole reason for the zoo was that the earth was going to be uninhabitable for humans, and Pink didn't want humans wiped out  The primary person responsible for the zoo is dead, the secondary set isn't fully forgiven by the rest of main cast anyway.  Steven forgives, but in the story he's like space rock Jesus, he's going to do it if the characters stop doing bad things no matter what. 

Anyway there's a few different zoo types in sci-fi that are explored.

Exploitation racist zoo- Orville had this, Man Kzin Wars had this I think, thought  that might have been a jail planet.  Species thinks it's 'superior' and put humans in a zoo to watch as entertainment. 
Conservation zoo, Steven Universe, can't remember the other ones.  Humans put in zoo to "save" them.
What-are-these-things study zoo, one I can remember was the Cage.  Humans crash landed on a planet and all their tech was destroyed.  Aliens abducted some and studied them.  Didn't figure out humans were people till the humans put another creature in a cage and fed it. 

Faust

There was a superman story where the Preserver put him in a zoo for last of their kinds against his will. It rails against the themes of captivity and imprisonment as a form of slavery but at the same time ends with Superman taking the creatures of the zoo to protect them as he understands its value and because they would die otherwise.

Trivial

Quote from: Faust on February 05, 2019, 02:56:46 PM
There was a superman story where the Preserver put him in a zoo for last of their kinds against his will. It rails against the themes of captivity and imprisonment as a form of slavery but at the same time ends with Superman taking the creatures of the zoo to protect them as he understands its value and because they would die otherwise.

I remember that, I think they put that one in the cartoon.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Trivial on February 05, 2019, 03:12:07 PM

They did! I think it was also a Lobo episode.

Trivial

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on February 05, 2019, 04:34:27 PM
Quote from: Trivial on February 05, 2019, 03:12:07 PM

They did! I think it was also a Lobo episode.

Lobo "Helping"

LMNO

Slaughterhouse-Five.

'Nuff said.

chaotic neutral observer

Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Faust

Quote from: LMNO on February 05, 2019, 06:18:53 PM
Slaughterhouse-Five.

'Nuff said.
Only read that over the summer gone, it's rare that the sci-fi allegory zoo story switches interchangeably between the real world historical prison camp. The happy sci-fi dream zoo where he is there with his (underage) pin up girl really gave weight to the camp and Dresden.

Pergamos

I think the problem comes when scifi paints the zoo as a good thing.  I have read a fair amount of scifi that includes genocide, as a necessary step toward the future utopia.  Sometimes the genocide is intentional.  It's often painted as a necessary evil and I do not like the author doing that.

Faust

That was the dark aspect to the plot of utopia. They are fighting against an illuminati plot that they think will kill half the world. The dramatic twist is the plot is to render most of the world infertile, to avoid a famine, and they cant bring themselves to stop them.
Very pessimistic but well written

hooplala

Quote from: Faust on February 07, 2019, 12:43:10 PM
Quote from: LMNO on February 05, 2019, 06:18:53 PM
Slaughterhouse-Five.

'Nuff said.
Only read that over the summer gone, it's rare that the sci-fi allegory zoo story switches interchangeably between the real world historical prison camp. The happy sci-fi dream zoo where he is there with his (underage) pin up girl really gave weight to the camp and Dresden.

Was Montana Wildhack underage?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Faust

He describes her as a child but I realise now thinking about it that could just mean a lot younger then him