News:

It's a bad decade to be bipedal, soft and unarmed.

Main Menu

The aliens haven't contacted us because

Started by Trivial, February 05, 2019, 02:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The aliens haven't contacted us because:

We're made of meat
They have, they just talked to Roger first.
Have you met us?
We're the most advanced thing in the galaxy.
Space is like, really big.
Time is like, really long.
SHUT UP
There aren't any.

LMNO

hooplala

He did a fair amount of racist propaganda during WWII, I believe he is on record after the fact regretting it, but my memory has become unreliable.

EDIT: Perfect example LMNO found.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

There is nothing that is good.  Everything has poo on it.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on February 06, 2019, 08:43:15 PM
This is all normal, Dok.

The dems are going to be back out in Virginia, because apparently every single elected dem has pics in blackface.

So if they all resign, in order, Cox (R) will be governor.

This is exactly why aliens don't visit us.  One side is bad, the other side is worse, and everyone is too dumb to avoid cameras while they're being stupid and evil.  This country deserves everything it gets.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

So, yeah, why haven't aliens visited us?  Because we are the backwoods pobucker trailer park of the galaxy, where everyone has confederate flags and swastikas in their front fucking yard.

And here's the fucked up thing:  If aliens ever DID visit us, they'd be the kind of aliens that would wear human face and smugly claim that they've been invited to the BBQ, and maybe say that they've been "cleared" to use our slang.  Fuck them, too.  We can get that kind of behavior at home, and we DO.  There is no point in asking goodness from humans, because they don't have any to give, and there is precisely zero reason to assume that aliens would be any better.

So there is no reason to be anything but pragmatic about whatever it is we worry about, just to get us through til we die.  And then presumably find out that heaven is a gated, "exclusive" community.

This is why I hate you.
Molon Lube

altered

For me, Dok, I see all of that and I'm motivated to be better than that. No one will remember my name when I die, but on the off chance someone recovers old internet records. I want my epitaph, set in digital format: "She tried at least."

Because you're absolutely right. And I think you're going to be right forever. But as long as I see a way to be a better person, I'll be damned if I'm gonna stop trying my hardest to do so. It's tilting at windmills, but so is everything in this life. So, I might as well be happy with /myself/, even if everyone else knows as well as I do that it's pointless wank.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: nullified on February 06, 2019, 09:33:07 PM
For me, Dok, I see all of that and I'm motivated to be better than that. No one will remember my name when I die, but on the off chance someone recovers old internet records. I want my epitaph, set in digital format: "She tried at least."

Because you're absolutely right. And I think you're going to be right forever. But as long as I see a way to be a better person, I'll be damned if I'm gonna stop trying my hardest to do so. It's tilting at windmills, but so is everything in this life. So, I might as well be happy with /myself/, even if everyone else knows as well as I do that it's pointless wank.

The good news is that "forever" means "somewhere between 20-100 years", because not only are humans essentially evil, they're also dumb as fuck and shit in their own nest.

The only justification for human survival is to go out to the stars and make sure everything else in the galaxy is dead before we go extinct, because it would be nice for the place to be tidy.
Molon Lube

altered

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 06, 2019, 09:35:59 PM

The good news is that "forever" means "somewhere between 20-100 years", because not only are humans essentially evil, they're also dumb as fuck and shit in their own nest.

The only justification for human survival is to go out to the stars and make sure everything else in the galaxy is dead before we go extinct, because it would be nice for the place to be tidy.

There's always baseless, pointless hope for collective self improvement.

What?

I never said I was doing this for realistic reasons.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: nullified on February 06, 2019, 09:37:44 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 06, 2019, 09:35:59 PM

There's always baseless, pointless hope for collective self improvement.

What?

I never said I was doing this for realistic reasons.

If Doctor Seuss couldn't cut it, nobody can.

I am waiting for the allegations of sexual misconduct on the part of Mr Rogers.  You and I both know it's just a fucking matter of time.

Note:  I will not thank the person that shows them to me.
Molon Lube

altered

See, the key there is that statement, "nobody can". For you that means "torch it," for me I wonder how close we can get.

Doktor Howl

I can answer that.

Virginia, in the news:

Governor Northam (D):  Pic in blackface.  Unclear if it was him or he was somehow involved with it.  Pic came to light after Northam defended a woman's right to choose.
Lieutenant Governor Fairfax (D):   Weird sexual abuse allegations, not backed up, AG Herring says he has to go (on accusations alone). THEN:
Attorney General Herring (D):  Immediately outed for himself wearing blackface.  Fuck's sake, he's only 6 years older than me and NOBODY in the 80s thought that was okay.
Speaker Cox (R):  Smiling like the cat that ate the canary.  Only there are now rumblings about HIM.
There is no 5th in line for governor.  At that point, the republican state congress selects the new governor.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

And I'd like to add that politicians are just people who are more likely to have their lives scrutinized.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Here's the Fairfax thing:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/fairfax-accuser-issues-statement-detailing-alleged-assault/ar-BBTg1tC?ocid=spartanntp

This is a binary situation:  Either She is telling the truth and HE is scum, or she is lying and SHE is scum.  At BEST, 50% of the humans involved are scum.  And this is only one day out of their lives.  I bet the other days aren't shiny happy children frolicking in the wildflowers, either.
Molon Lube

altered

I tried to write a response but I can't manage it without talking about my own life choices in these areas (be good even if you don't believe you need to) vs the apparent truth in these cases (they might believe their own shit but they don't act upon it). Which just makes me sound holier than thou when I'm a foul little gremlin like everyone else.

So I'll leave it at the above for now, and mention that I wish there were an easy and snappy way to say "I'm doing better things than these people seem to have done but that doesn't mean I'm inherently any better than them."