News:

PD.com: Worse than that time when I conjured a handkerchief from that deaf kid's ear.

Main Menu

UNLIMITED 2020 THREAD

Started by Doktor Howl, March 01, 2019, 08:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/496276-judge-orders-sanders-others-to-be-reinstated-to-new-york-primary-ballot

NEW YORK PRIMARY IS BACK ON, BABY

It turns out you can't decide to just cancel a state-level election.

It sounds like even Biden understands that he is not gonna get the progressive voters unless he figures out how to represent them.

Quote"While Senator Sanders is no longer actively seeking the nomination, the Biden campaign feels strongly that it is in the best interest of the party and the effort to defeat Donald Trump in November to come to an agreement regarding these issues that will ensure representation of Sanders supporters and delegate candidates, both on the floor and in committees," the Biden and Sanders campaigns said in a memo.

tyrannosaurus vex

there's a lot of misinformation going around, not the least of which is that "berniebros" somehow cost Hillary the election, and not the fact that she took her election for granted and neglected key battleground states. Sanders supporters turned out for Hillary to the tune of about 85%, and the rest of them were never going to vote for a Democrat in any event. The number of protest voters (both those who refused to vote and those who voted for a third party candidate) was not large enough to make a significant difference in the result.

It was not the loud minority of hard-left poopy-pants [non]voters who got Trump the White House. The idea that it was their fault is just lazy thinking. Trump was elected because a wave of racist populism and economic disenfranchisement pushed the electorate toward a strongman. It was the same dynamic that got Hitler elected in Germany. The same thing happened throughout Europe at the same time. It was not because a relatively small number of holdouts refused to compromise their values, and it wasn't because all Sanders supporters are cantankerous misogynists. Thinking those people are to blame (or even exist in statistically relevant numbers) just gives a person someone to hate, which feels good but doesn't really accomplish anything. I mean, unless shitting hate is the whole goal, in which case it achieves its objective quite effectively.

As for 2020, everyone who is going to vote for Biden is already set on doing so. You can demand the act of voting for Biden if you want, but demanding that people's inner voices be intentionally and genuinely happy about it is just dumb.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

LMNO

Can we also remember that she got ~3,000,000 more votes than Trump?  It's more or less been proven that in the current political climate, the Electoral College gives Republicans an advantage in elections.

Cain

Democrats have to win with a 10% margin, nationally, to "win" a Presidential election, if I recall the maths correctly. It's complicated, but it boiled down to something like that.

As for "Bernie Bros"...it's a useful foil for party careerists, to pretend people on the internet are a bigger problem that the assholes in office. Especially when their main disagreement with the assholes in office is their social policy, and not their tax cuts or wholesale gutting of state functions, complete with no-bid contracts for connected funders.

I've said this before, but you guys should really look closely at what happened with Corbyn over here. The New Labour faction of the party were so concerned about Corbyn they worked to sabotage the 2017 election to prevent him from becoming PM. They trashed the reputation of the party publically and consistently to the press, and used the accusations of anti-semitism to launch "Trot-hunting" expeditions within the party, often overlooking very real racism in their attempts to stamp out Corbyn loyalists. They also indirectly gave cover to the racism of the Tories (which involved deporting ethnic minorities who are UK citzens) by highlighting these accusations also.

And all this was...to prevent some tax rises which might cause them to pay more. It was pathetic, but it worked.

Cain

Also more Hillary supporters failed to vote for Obama than Sanders supporters voting for Trump.

I know this is practically ancient history at this point, but who remembers "Party United My Ass"?

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on May 06, 2020, 05:20:18 PM
They also indirectly gave cover to the racism of the Tories (which involved deporting ethnic minorities who are UK citzens)

They WHAT?

Cain

Google the Windrush scandal.

UK citizens, mostly who came over from the Caribbean from the late 40s to the early 70s, were required to provide 4 pieces of evidence for residing in the UK for every year they claimed to have been here. They deported over 80 UK citizens to countries many hadn't even visited since before they could talk. Some died as a result of this.

However, we can't criticise Amber Rudd or Theresa May for racism, despite this happening on both of their watches.

LMNO

So, if they lived in the UK since 1950 (for example), they'd need 280 pieces of evidence!?

Cramulus

finally, validation for my impossible pile of unopened mail

Cain

Quote from: LMNO on May 06, 2020, 06:43:00 PM
So, if they lived in the UK since 1950 (for example), they'd need 280 pieces of evidence!?

Yes. They were set up to fail from the very start. The were also denied legal aid, so they had significant trouble challenging these rulings.

LMNO

What the ever-loving fuck.

Cramulus

yeah, I hadn't heard of that either, it's insane... and it wasn't, like, the 90s? it happened in 2018???

off topic---this kinda captures my sentiment right now:
https://useyouroutsidevoice.co/2020/05/05/im-voting-for-joe-fucking-biden/

Faust

IIRC was the around the election? The tories have a nasty habig of making small but utterly sickening gestures to appeal to the racist cohort. It doesn't take much but viscous little once off gestures like this reaffirms that vote in the bag.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

They were trying to deport people under the scheme just this January. There was a big court battle regarding it.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Cramulus on May 06, 2020, 06:58:21 PM
off topic---this kinda captures my sentiment right now:
https://useyouroutsidevoice.co/2020/05/05/im-voting-for-joe-fucking-biden/

I think there's a desire for extreme change immediately considering what we've been dealing with the past four years (to start). I also think that gets caught up in the reality of incremental change over time, constitutional deadlocks and so on. Provided a person's intentions are to work within the system for change, the long game is, unfortunately (maybe),  the way it works.