News:

PD.COM:  Mindlessly hitting the refresh button for weeks on end.

Main Menu

UNLIMITED 2020 THREAD

Started by Doktor Howl, March 01, 2019, 08:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on March 07, 2019, 10:04:28 PM
Quote from: Emo Howard on March 07, 2019, 07:46:58 PM
If he looses, it seems likely that the nuttier members of his base will finally completely lose their minds. People are already talking about another civil war in America, and not just the youtube crazies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/in-america-talk-turns-to-something-unspoken-for-150-years-civil-war/2019/02/28/b3733af8-3ae4-11e9-a2cd-307b06d0257b_story.html?fbclid=IwAR0ou8VRZ8Hd2JLREyc5q5y28OoVVTHWFrprdvBsi8mVpdbFXPgr1c_LSjw&utm_term=.f50d740ef863

If there is a civil war it won't be a formal one like the great civil war was. It will be geurillas by night and Psychopaths opening fire in broad daylight. I don't see the US military Schisming entirely because they lost a shity commander. I do see the culture wars becoming even more bloody than they currently are.

Pretty much, yeah. I'm trying to think what tactics they could, and/or are likely to use to further their cause. Most of them probably have a years supply of beans and a confidence in their ability to survive by hunting/gathering/agriculture, and would like to see their world shift to a situation where persons so prepared would be at an advantage. So... maybe attacks on the infrastructure, particularly the power grid, I'm thinking. Here in Tennessee, we're pretty dependent on hydroelectric power. An attack on the dams that put them out of commission for months or even years could cripple the entire state. Tennessee is a major distribution hub for most of the eastern half of the country. Wrecking it could cause major disruptions in the distribution chain.

Then when the bread trucks start showing up late, or not at all, shit could start to get pretty weird.

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on March 07, 2019, 10:00:52 PM
Quote from: Hoopla! on March 07, 2019, 09:21:01 PM
Maybe it's time people started the chaos magic against Trump.

That would be like trying to put out a dumpster fire with a truckload of live chickens.

In the Darkness even the Truth is in doubt. What is needed is the kicking of some asses! That and a viable Democratic candidate folks will unite behind...

Actually fuck it. Bring on the chickens! Gritty has a modest cult following. Mister Rogers has an even bigger cult following. We need a light to Rally around. Something or preferably someone True and Good. Bernie is not true and good despite his best intentions all he really has is ambition and a platform that pays for colleges with 'taxpayer money'. We need the second coming, a fucking Christ figure. Chaos magic won't save us. Nothing will. But I'm in the mood to cause chaos and dance in the ashes... No, too angsty. I'm in the mood to watch a shit ton of flaming chickens run around The Neighborhood!

A common theme I see reading comments from The Traitriots/Vanilla ISIS is "We need a leader". Which is, as far as I cant tell, what they think is the only thing holding them back from Taking America Back By Storm. Meanwhile THEM DANG OL AN-TEEF-UHS seem to be getting along just fine without leaders, or at least centralized leadership hierarchy, or whatever. These allegedly motivated motherfuckers probably have Antifa outnumbered 1000:1 but at the end of the day, Antifa gets more done because they aren't just sitting around waiting for someone to boss them around.
Formerly something else...

Doktor Howl

Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on March 08, 2019, 06:42:50 AM
You're an empire in it's death throes. This is all perfectly normal. Horses get appointed to senate and emperors golf while the nation burns.

Only that's not happening. 

What's happening is just that nothing is getting fixed.  Each storm or wild fire leaves a Katrina-style hole in the infrastructure that just sits there and festers.  I could only WISH for Visigoths torching shit.
Molon Lube

The Johnny

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 08, 2019, 03:02:56 AM
Quote from: The Johnny on March 08, 2019, 01:25:02 AM

Idk, from an outsiders perspective, American discourse is so hyperbolic and non-sense because commentators are so needy for attention and ad-revenue, and the need to keep the audience at the edge of their seat thru ever escalating means.

Like, what I do have noticed is this "revenge-ism" attitude between Democrats and Republicans, in which actions dont seem to follow pragmatic objectives but more of "OH THIS WILL SHOW THEM" under a logic of pettiness.

If this exact trend continues escalating, i could imagine a real civil war no earlier than 2028 and i couldnt imagine it going on for too long with all the control and surveillance the government has over the population.

It's more that we're just plain bad people that have had it too good for too long.

Are you saying something along the lines that Americans are like spoiled brats that suddenly get to experiment deprivation and take it out between themselves?

Like, from years ago ive admired in certain awe what at some times seems like taking a stand on important issues while at other times it seems like the most primitive rooting for a sports team sort of partisanship... with the new president that got elected down here were starting to see this social divide between those that hate it and those that embrace it, and i wonder how it will look like in 20-30 years.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Johnny on March 08, 2019, 03:03:09 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 08, 2019, 03:02:56 AM
Quote from: The Johnny on March 08, 2019, 01:25:02 AM

Idk, from an outsiders perspective, American discourse is so hyperbolic and non-sense because commentators are so needy for attention and ad-revenue, and the need to keep the audience at the edge of their seat thru ever escalating means.

Like, what I do have noticed is this "revenge-ism" attitude between Democrats and Republicans, in which actions dont seem to follow pragmatic objectives but more of "OH THIS WILL SHOW THEM" under a logic of pettiness.

If this exact trend continues escalating, i could imagine a real civil war no earlier than 2028 and i couldnt imagine it going on for too long with all the control and surveillance the government has over the population.

It's more that we're just plain bad people that have had it too good for too long.

Are you saying something along the lines that Americans are like spoiled brats that suddenly get to experiment deprivation and take it out between themselves?

Like, from years ago ive admired in certain awe what at some times seems like taking a stand on important issues while at other times it seems like the most primitive rooting for a sports team sort of partisanship... with the new president that got elected down here were starting to see this social divide between those that hate it and those that embrace it, and i wonder how it will look like in 20-30 years.

It has nothing to do with the parties.  The parties are the excuse.

There are 3 factions in America, just like there have always been.  Corporate, Nationalist, and Family.  None of this shit is new.  This shit has been going on for 220 years.  This isn't even the worst instance of it.  Shit, not even close.
Molon Lube

Cain

Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on March 08, 2019, 06:42:50 AM
Horses get appointed to senate .

Hey now, Ivanka was only made a special advisor.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Al Qədic

Welp, Chelsea Manning is back in prison, this time for refusing to testify before a grand jury about wikileaks it seems. Fuck me, this could be real bad. :sad:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/08/us/politics/chelsea-manning-wikileaks-jail.html
There is no reason to,
Be ashamed of poetry. It,
Is natural. But you should,
Still do it in private,
And wash your hands afterward.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Al Qədic on March 09, 2019, 05:42:10 AM
Welp, Chelsea Manning is back in prison, this time for refusing to testify before a grand jury about wikileaks it seems. Fuck me, this could be real bad. :sad:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/08/us/politics/chelsea-manning-wikileaks-jail.html

She had immunity, which means they can in fact compel her to testify against anyone at all, including herself.

She's still a big enough sucker to go to jail for Assange.  Some folks never learn.
Molon Lube

Q. G. Pennyworth

I'm worried about her. You don't go through something like that without it fucking you up, and going back to the same situation that fucked you up is an unfortunately common pattern in victims of trauma.

Al Qədic

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 09, 2019, 04:15:22 PM
She had immunity, which means they can in fact compel her to testify against anyone at all, including herself.

She's still a big enough sucker to go to jail for Assange.  Some folks never learn.

I want to agree, on the merit of "as shitty as grand juries can be, they still have power, and like it or not, they'll use that power against you if you don't fall in line." But I also see her refusal as an admonishment against the system that loves screwing people like her over. It makes her life more difficult, yes, but this, like many actions, can serve as a form of protest. The fact that this has to do with wikileaks/Assange obviously plays into her reservations for testifying, but I think her disdain for the garbage legal system is the larger force here.

That aside, while it does suck in hindsight that wikileaks of all things had to be the horse that her mortifying news rode in on...I dunno, man, I'd prefer a wild, shitty horse over no horse at all, if I wanted to deliver news that no one else was seeing.
There is no reason to,
Still do it in private,

Al Qədic

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on March 09, 2019, 04:37:43 PM
I'm worried about her. You don't go through something like that without it fucking you up, and going back to the same situation that fucked you up is an unfortunately common pattern in victims of trauma.
Absolutely. Between her time in jail, suicide attempts during that time, suicide attempt(s) (at least one if I remember right) after getting out, the time cops broke into her apartment/house, and the general shitfits that assholes like to give to liberals/whistleblowers/trans women on a daily basis, I really hope she turns out all right from this. I suppose the miniscule silver lining here is that she's in the women's area of the prison, but goddamn has she been through a lot.
There is no reason to,
Still do it in private,

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Al Qədic on March 09, 2019, 06:23:42 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 09, 2019, 04:15:22 PM

I want to agree, on the merit of "as shitty as grand juries can be, they still have power, and like it or not, they'll use that power against you if you don't fall in line." But I also see her refusal as an admonishment against the system that loves screwing people like her over. It makes her life more difficult, yes, but this, like many actions, can serve as a form of protest. The fact that this has to do with wikileaks/Assange obviously plays into her reservations for testifying, but I think her disdain for the garbage legal system is the larger force here.

That aside, while it does suck in hindsight that wikileaks of all things had to be the horse that her mortifying news rode in on...I dunno, man, I'd prefer a wild, shitty horse over no horse at all, if I wanted to deliver news that no one else was seeing.

Well, she's about to discover whose disdain counts.

And wikileaks is a state actor.  Assange is not a truth-telling rebel, he's a tool of the Russian government.  And Manning is a fool.
Molon Lube

Pergamos

Back on the thread topic, who do you think will get the Democratic nom?  It really looks like Sanders to me,  I'd prefer Warren, personally, but Sanders seems a lot stronger.  I know a lot of folks are sure it will be Biden or Harris, but neither seems to be polling all that well.

Cain

Warren or Harris, IMO. It's still early days, and people are expecting a Biden entry which may or may not happen.  They're....biding their time, you might say.

But seriously. Warren would undoubtedly make a better President, but she will have weaknesses as a candidate (see her DNA test nonsense, for example).  I think the converse is true of Harris, and if Biden doesn't enter, the centrist Dems will rally around her.  It's a matter of style, as much as anything...they're both lawyers, but Warren was academic, while Harris was a public prosecutor.  The latter know how to go for the throat, play the crowd, make compelling arguments and tear their opponent down in a way most of the former simply don't, as a matter of practical experience.  Once the debates start, she will be in her element.

As for Sanders....I think there is a lot of bad blood there, and there are former Sanders supporters among those who think he shouldn't have run again. Warren gives them a similar candidate without the same baggage, which relegates Sanders to Ron Paul status - he'll be popular online and in the online polls, but he'll struggle elsewhere.

Also look out for Andrew Yang siphoning off some of the more weird Sanders support base.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Pergamos on March 10, 2019, 05:17:41 PM
Back on the thread topic, who do you think will get the Democratic nom?  It really looks like Sanders to me,  I'd prefer Warren, personally, but Sanders seems a lot stronger.  I know a lot of folks are sure it will be Biden or Harris, but neither seems to be polling all that well.

Jesus, I fucking hope not.  I'm already tired of his fake ass.
Molon Lube