News:

I live in the Promised Land, except the Chosen People are all trying to get out. 

Main Menu

UNLIMITED 2020 THREAD

Started by Doktor Howl, March 01, 2019, 08:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

This article does a good job of laying out a very strong case against Bloomberg.

QuoteBloomberg has shown a far more terrifying form of clientelism even than Donald Trump. If someone opposes him, he simply uses his money to overpower them. Because Bloomberg's wealth is virtually infinite (even the billion dollars he will spend this year will not diminish his net worth at all, since it's just the money his money makes), if a newspaper reporter tries to expose him, he can just buy the newspaper and shut them down. If a nonprofit group complains about him, he can just give them a pile of money to shut them up. The reason this is a kind of dictatorship is that people need money, so it's very hard to turn it down when it's offered. How can a struggling city turn down Michael Bloomberg's checks? Yet if they take them, they have to do what he says. The Michael Bloomberg pitch is that because of his money, he is not beholden to anyone. But leaders should be beholden—only a dictator is beholden to no one. When Bloomberg says that nobody owns him, it's because he owns you.

The Wizard Joseph

At this point the only candidate that I consider truly authentic is Vermin Supreme.

The following poem is an example of the kind of support I feel for him.

A meme is
A meme is
A Meme!

Please open your pockets
Oh please support Vermin Supreme

For just $5 you too can be in on the fun!
For just $50 think of how you will smile,
Knowing that you did something good!

For a life time scale, financially paltry
$500 just imagine the sort of things
YOU will be supporting, as a Supreme American!!

There's no top here!
And no stopping
The Supreme Express!!
Your donation is your part,
Your means of expression.   

You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on February 18, 2020, 01:04:36 PM
This article does a good job of laying out a very strong case against Bloomberg.

QuoteBloomberg has shown a far more terrifying form of clientelism even than Donald Trump. If someone opposes him, he simply uses his money to overpower them. Because Bloomberg's wealth is virtually infinite (even the billion dollars he will spend this year will not diminish his net worth at all, since it's just the money his money makes), if a newspaper reporter tries to expose him, he can just buy the newspaper and shut them down. If a nonprofit group complains about him, he can just give them a pile of money to shut them up. The reason this is a kind of dictatorship is that people need money, so it's very hard to turn it down when it's offered. How can a struggling city turn down Michael Bloomberg's checks? Yet if they take them, they have to do what he says. The Michael Bloomberg pitch is that because of his money, he is not beholden to anyone. But leaders should be beholden—only a dictator is beholden to no one. When Bloomberg says that nobody owns him, it's because he owns you.

Boom.
Molon Lube

Juana

We've heard that "no one owns him" rhetoric before from Trump. It's a nice idea but, like, it doesn't work out well with these guillotine bait billionaires.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Cain

No, you see, because he has made it his life's pursuit to acquire as much money as possible it only stands to reason that he cannot be influenced by money.

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on February 19, 2020, 03:23:59 AM
No, you see, because he has made it his life's pursuit to acquire as much money as possible it only stands to reason that he cannot be influenced by money.

I'm gonna need to steal that at some point

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on February 19, 2020, 03:23:59 AM

Losers play for money.
Players play for influence.
Masters play for souls.
Grand masters play for LOTS of souls.
And me?
Well,
I play for the Joy,
You see.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

altered

Pete Buttchug is a self-hating gay man. It isn't even rude of a fucking hetero person to say it anymore: https://twitter.com/mooncult/status/1232160342848851968?s=21

He just came out and said he would take a pill to not be gay. It's a fact.

I hate this fucking dorky white dude so much. I want to monster him, Spider style. Fucking hell.

ETA: check the look on his husband's face when the camera cuts to him. I'm on the autism spectrum so I can't quite be certain, but that sure looks like "oh wow I made a terrible mistake" to me.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: altered on February 25, 2020, 06:01:21 PM

He just came out and said he would take a pill to not be gay. It's a fact.

Yeah, his husband should hit the bricks, maybe find someone else entirely.
Molon Lube

LMNO

This is an accurate representation of Pete's husband:

:spag:

Juana

I did hear "woulda" rather than "would". He kinda swallowed the last syllable there but ngl I kinda suspect he still feels that way anyway. That almost bitter lip quirk from Chasten makes me suspect this is an issue in their marriage. On one hand, that makes me legitimately feel bad for Petey bc internalized homophobia is painful. On the other, his husband just looks tired.

A thing I don't feel bad for laughing at Buttigieg about, tho, is him being drowned out by BLM protestors at a demonstration and then scampering back to the safety of his Escalade.

https://time.com/5790037/pete-buttigieg-protesters-minimum-wage-south-carolina/?fbclid=IwAR1aIWGbSxxmn1yRvfDzbkuns533v0sMoX-PxR7uvp0T3tog7UYziufb1-s

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Juana on February 26, 2020, 02:47:14 AM
I did hear "woulda" rather than "would". He kinda swallowed the last syllable there but ngl I kinda suspect he still feels that way anyway. That almost bitter lip quirk from Chasten makes me suspect this is an issue in their marriage. On one hand, that makes me legitimately feel bad for Petey bc internalized homophobia is painful. On the other, his husband just looks tired.

A thing I don't feel bad for laughing at Buttigieg about, tho, is him being drowned out by BLM protestors at a demonstration and then scampering back to the safety of his Escalade.

https://time.com/5790037/pete-buttigieg-protesters-minimum-wage-south-carolina/?fbclid=IwAR1aIWGbSxxmn1yRvfDzbkuns533v0sMoX-PxR7uvp0T3tog7UYziufb1-s

I don't feel bad for him.  I feel bad for his husband.  Can you even imagine the sense of diminished value that just occurred there?  Dude just got told that he isn't the most important thing in his spouse's life.  That's divorce material.  It's betrayal.

Sometimes people say things that reveal their low regard for another person, and they honestly don't understand that's what they're doing.  They state by accident that you're less than a person.  That happened to me not very long ago.  It's hurtful, but not in the way that this - deliberately slamming his spouse for a political point or even out of lack of courage - would be.
Molon Lube

altered

Precisely this.

And the evidence seems to say that it was said for political points: someone who grew up with him said he changed the pronunciation of his name, twice, and had never had any goal in life BUT the presidency. He's more the Smiler than anything I've seen to date: just a hollow shell of ambition. What happens when that gets what it wants?

I hope not to find out. It will destroy LGBT acceptance in the west.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

LMNO

Some of my more radical queer friends have said that the insistence for LGBT+ to assimilate to straight culture in the 90s (marriage equality, adoption, etc) led directly to what we're seeing now: a deliberate rejection of the revolutionary spirit that triggered the gay liberation movement of the 70s/80s.