News:

Testimonial: "This board is everything that's fucking wrong with the internet"

Main Menu

UNLIMITED 2020 THREAD

Started by Doktor Howl, March 01, 2019, 08:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Cain on March 04, 2020, 02:27:57 PM
I would most agree with that assessment, vex.

Though I don't think they're especially in the tank for the Trump Train per se, more that any kind of wealth distribution scares the shit out of them more than Trump does. Which is, you know, exactly the same mistakes the centrist and conservative parties in the Weimar Republic made with the Nazis. They were so scared of the KPD, and to an extent even the SPD, that they were willing to countenance political arrangements with Hitler in order to keep them both locked out.

Which worked out great for Germany, in the long run.

Germany ultimately got its head out of its ass. But it took ... well, we all know what it took. I'm not sure the same rules apply to America, though. If/when we go full-tilt Nazi, who is going to stop us?
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Cramulus

yeah that's kinda what I'm feeling at the moment, too

The left wing is ineffective by design. We were DUPED into thinking we can just make a good argument and then rational people will vote for reform

It's like two people in a duel... one side has a gun. The other guy argues that only assholes use guns, so he brought a sword. And then gets shot.

at this stage, I have no idea what effective political activism actually looks like though

just hoping that if Biden pulls this off, he chooses Warren or Sanders as his VP

Cain

Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on March 04, 2020, 02:39:02 PM
Quote from: Cain on March 04, 2020, 02:27:57 PM
I would most agree with that assessment, vex.

Though I don't think they're especially in the tank for the Trump Train per se, more that any kind of wealth distribution scares the shit out of them more than Trump does. Which is, you know, exactly the same mistakes the centrist and conservative parties in the Weimar Republic made with the Nazis. They were so scared of the KPD, and to an extent even the SPD, that they were willing to countenance political arrangements with Hitler in order to keep them both locked out.

Which worked out great for Germany, in the long run.

Germany ultimately got its head out of its ass. But it took ... well, we all know what it took. I'm not sure the same rules apply to America, though. If/when we go full-tilt Nazi, who is going to stop us?

Well, it's a good thing I like Chinese food and can speak some Cantonese, hey?

LMNO

Quote from: Cramulus on March 04, 2020, 02:55:23 PM

The left wing is ineffective by design. We were DUPED into thinking we can just make a good argument and then rational people will vote for reform

It's like two people in a duel... one side has a gun. The other guy argues that only assholes use guns, so he brought a sword. And then gets shot.

at this stage, I have no idea what effective political activism actually looks like though

just hoping that if Biden pulls this off, he chooses Warren or Sanders as his VP
To be honest, I think AOC's fundraising for down-ballot progressives is currently the best thing being offered.  Top-down change isn't going to happen, it's gotta be bottom-up. 

Progressives need to run for city alderman all the way up to Senator.  But that's, you know, work and shit, and you have to learn how to compromise and negotiate and not alienate people.

TL:DR - Move to Finland.

Cain

The biggest mistake in Weimar Germany was the KPD and SPD fighting each other.

The KPD was the biggest and most successful Communist Party in Europe at the time...but it was also slavishly in thrall to the Stalinist Comintern, which considered social democrats to be "social fascists", just another variant of fascism designed to keep the People's Revolution from happening.

I'm not saying history repeats itself in every respect, but it sometimes rhymes. Ironically, the "social fascist" claim almost directly mirrors in several key respects the conservative talking points about social democrats being "the real fascists".

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on March 04, 2020, 03:05:47 PM

To be honest, I think AOC's fundraising for down-ballot progressives is currently the best thing being offered.  Top-down change isn't going to happen, it's gotta be bottom-up. 

Progressives need to run for city alderman all the way up to Senator.  But that's, you know, work and shit, and you have to learn how to compromise and negotiate and not alienate people.

TL:DR - Move to Finland.

Remember the Romans?  Neither do I.  The problem isn't stupid people (well, not JUST stupid people), it's complexity.  The stupid people part comes along when they all believe someone who says they have simple solutions for complex problems.  Then they try to apply those simple solutions, with predictable results.

People don't like being told "no".  And when they are told "no," they blame the experts or the doctors or the DEEP STATE™, and go running off looking for someone to tell them "yes".  Then, sure as hell, they find that person...

...And then the democrats decide that they need to compromise with that person.  This shit all started back with Reagan's "Government IS the problem" speech, which more or less turned the democrats into subs, in the same way that the Chicago Bears are subs for the Detroit Lions.
Molon Lube

Suu

Quote from: LMNO on March 04, 2020, 01:35:54 PM
This is gonna go over well: I'm hearing a lot of Bernie supporters blame it on "low-information black voters".

Clearly, they'll turn out in large numbers for him now.

YEP. I just made a massive FB post about this.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Suu on March 04, 2020, 03:47:48 PM
Quote from: LMNO on March 04, 2020, 01:35:54 PM
This is gonna go over well: I'm hearing a lot of Bernie supporters blame it on "low-information black voters".

Clearly, they'll turn out in large numbers for him now.

YEP. I just made a massive FB post about this.

It is important to remember that the bro set doesn't actually want Bernie Sanders to win, for the same reason incels don't actually want to go on a date.
Molon Lube

tyrannosaurus vex

What bugs me is that anyone who tried to publish Common Sense these days would be laughed off the stage because "we don't need no stinking reason in America" and "don't be such an intellectual". And the fact that the Democrats never actually make any arguments against the philosophy of fascism, they just sort of dither around why its various expressions might be unpalatable in some cases. Ronald Reagan's lumbering corpse continues to beat American Politics over the head 40 years later, but where are the Democrats saying that "Government isn't the problem"? All they ever say is "ok ok government is the problem but maybe it's a necessary evil? please?"
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on March 04, 2020, 03:51:23 PM
What bugs me is that anyone who tried to publish Common Sense these days would be laughed off the stage because "we don't need no stinking reason in America" and "don't be such an intellectual". And the fact that the Democrats never actually make any arguments against the philosophy of fascism, they just sort of dither around why its various expressions might be unpalatable in some cases. Ronald Reagan's lumbering corpse continues to beat American Politics over the head 40 years later, but where are the Democrats saying that "Government isn't the problem"? All they ever say is "ok ok government is the problem but maybe it's a necessary evil? please?"

That's because they are what we Doktors refer to as "pussies."
Molon Lube

Suu

Bloomberg just dropped out.

Cue the sad trombones.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 04, 2020, 03:50:56 PM

It is important to remember that the bro set doesn't actually want Bernie Sanders to win, for the same reason incels don't actually want to go on a date.

Yep. They want to play the "Oh woe" card. Activism though pity.

Suu

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 04, 2020, 03:54:02 PM

This is something that I've put thought into, should I eventually run for legislative office. Ultimately, I think my angle is going to be, "No, I don't give a fuck what you think."

Cramulus

Quote from: Suu on March 04, 2020, 03:55:51 PM
Bloomberg just dropped out.

Cue the sad trombones.

:bankster:
*centrist consolidation intensifies*

LMNO

Quote from: Suu on March 04, 2020, 03:59:08 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 04, 2020, 03:54:02 PM

This is something that I've put thought into, should I eventually run for legislative office. Ultimately, I think my angle is going to be, "No, I don't give a fuck what you think."

Isn't that Bernie's exact strategy, though?