News:

Testimonial: "I cannot see a slither of a viable defense for this godawful circlejerk board."

Main Menu

UNLIMITED 2020 THREAD

Started by Doktor Howl, March 01, 2019, 08:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrannosaurus vex

One of the few remaining sources of hope I have (not for 2020, as we are as good as done for, this year) is my (probably wrong but it's mine and I love it) theory that the political forces that currently favor Trump do so not because they are intrinsically evil (at least not all of them), but because Trump is one of the few politicians in America who absolutely refuse to play by the rules. Everyone and their dog and their dog's dog knows that the system is hopelessly fucked, so promises to patch it or whatever don't resonate. People want people who will play outside the rules -- even if their actions are destructive or oppressive -- because saying "fuck you" to the system is more important than anything that can possibly done from inside the system.

I say this is a source of hope not because I think burning everything down is the only way out of this mess, but because it would mean that as soon as someone on the left figures out that they, too, can succeed by breaking all the rules and being a flagrant revolutionary, there might be a path to victory for them, too. And Sanders doesn't qualify because for all his bluster at the 1% he still fundamentally believes in and preaches all this "nation of laws" business that obviously isn't a big seller these days.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Suu

Quote from: LMNO on March 04, 2020, 04:02:10 PM
Quote from: Suu on March 04, 2020, 03:59:08 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 04, 2020, 03:54:02 PM
Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on March 04, 2020, 03:51:23 PM
What bugs me is that anyone who tried to publish Common Sense these days would be laughed off the stage because "we don't need no stinking reason in America" and "don't be such an intellectual". And the fact that the Democrats never actually make any arguments against the philosophy of fascism, they just sort of dither around why its various expressions might be unpalatable in some cases. Ronald Reagan's lumbering corpse continues to beat American Politics over the head 40 years later, but where are the Democrats saying that "Government isn't the problem"? All they ever say is "ok ok government is the problem but maybe it's a necessary evil? please?"

That's because they are what we Doktors refer to as "pussies."

This is something that I've put thought into, should I eventually run for legislative office. Ultimately, I think my angle is going to be, "No, I don't give a fuck what you think."

Isn't that Bernie's exact strategy, though?

Kinda, only he tried to get people to give fucks. Understanding that there are whole demographics that are going to walk away from what I have to say is part of the process, that, and reminding people that campaign promises are bullshit. Strip it down, tell it like it is. Cry into gallons of cheap wine, rinse, repeat in the morning.

Legislation is also different than Presidential. My angle would have to change exponentially if I went for President, and Jephph has already threatened divorce if I take it too far.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Suu on March 04, 2020, 03:55:51 PM
Bloomberg just dropped out.

Cue the sad trombones.

Warren is expected to drop out this week.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Suu on March 04, 2020, 03:57:12 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 04, 2020, 03:50:56 PM

It is important to remember that the bro set doesn't actually want Bernie Sanders to win, for the same reason incels don't actually want to go on a date.

Yep. They want to play the "Oh woe" card. Activism though pity.

Woker than thou.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on March 04, 2020, 04:02:10 PM
Quote from: Suu on March 04, 2020, 03:59:08 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 04, 2020, 03:54:02 PM
Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on March 04, 2020, 03:51:23 PM
What bugs me is that anyone who tried to publish Common Sense these days would be laughed off the stage because "we don't need no stinking reason in America" and "don't be such an intellectual". And the fact that the Democrats never actually make any arguments against the philosophy of fascism, they just sort of dither around why its various expressions might be unpalatable in some cases. Ronald Reagan's lumbering corpse continues to beat American Politics over the head 40 years later, but where are the Democrats saying that "Government isn't the problem"? All they ever say is "ok ok government is the problem but maybe it's a necessary evil? please?"

That's because they are what we Doktors refer to as "pussies."

This is something that I've put thought into, should I eventually run for legislative office. Ultimately, I think my angle is going to be, "No, I don't give a fuck what you think."

Isn't that Bernie's exact strategy, though?

Bernie is trying to win.  The bernie bros would actually rather lose.
Molon Lube

Juana

Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on March 04, 2020, 04:05:07 PM
One of the few remaining sources of hope I have (not for 2020, as we are as good as done for, this year)...
I think that's pretty premature. There's well over half the country to go wrt to primaries and I reckon Sanders and Biden are gonna come out neck and neck, especially if  Sanders solidly wins California. Yesterday was worth about a third of the total delegates, it's true, but that leaves a bit less than two-thirds to go. Biden's definitely going to get a bump out of this but I'm expecting it to be neck and neck, assuming the Sanders camp pulls on its big kid pants. Which, based on what I'm seeing on the groups I'm in, it might.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Juana

My main concern is that it's going to be close enough, if Bernie squeaks a majority, that the DNC will do the brokered convention thing anyway. They definitely will not if the reverse is true. Sanders would need a very solid lead - which he probably won't get - to avoid that. Biden would have to really hang himself by his own petard in a big way for Bernie to make it out with a solid enough majority. He might, bc Biden seems to be kind of falling apart ("running for Senate", anyone?) and now that it's a two horse race, he's going to get absolutely fucking pounded in the debates. Not sure how much of an impact those actually have, but I'll take some hope where I can get it at this point.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Frontside Back

Quote from: LMNO on March 04, 2020, 03:05:47 PM

TL:DR - Move to Finland.
We have a neo-nazi government in the barrel for 2023. Bring guns.
"I want to be the Borg but I want to do it alone."

Dimocritus

Quote from: Cramulus on March 04, 2020, 02:55:23 PM
yeah that's kinda what I'm feeling at the moment, too

The left wing is ineffective by design. We were DUPED into thinking we can just make a good argument and then rational people will vote for reform

It's like two people in a duel... one side has a gun. The other guy argues that only assholes use guns, so he brought a sword. And then gets shot.

This, but instead of a sword, the DNC is waving around a floppy wet noodle. Sloppy Joe is going to get torn to pieces in a debate against Drumpf the very second he starts his stumbling gibberish. Drumpf is going to openly mock him, and Drumpfs base will just go rabid.

at this stage, I have no idea what effective political activism actually looks like though

I have been pondering this myself a lot lately. We might need to get some OMF threads going to spitball some ideas.

just hoping that if Biden pulls this off, he chooses Warren or Sanders as his VP

THIS. You'll never get Bernie supporters to jump on any moderate ticket. You can't have 5-plus people dogpile on one dude and then say that you won fair and square, it's gonna be sour grapes all the way down. The only way you get a portion of those people to get out and vote is if they still feel represented in some way. I don't think Warren is the right choice, though; her campaign's sole purpose for the past month or two was to spend super pac money to just split the progressive vote. As far as Bernie bois are concerned, she's signed a pact with the establishment. However, the DNC is using their asshole as an echo chamber and I don't have any faith that they'll start making reasonable strategic decisions now.
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Suu

There is absolutely no fucking evidence that Warren was in it to split the progressive vote, especially when Bros were dragging he and anybody else who could possibly support her, calling it a "vagina vote" and other such shit. She was doing well early on, but it's not working in her favor. I think after yesterday, it's time for her to drop out.

But, far be it that a competent woman dare propose similar issues to a man, we can't have that. The man must always come out on top, or otherwise she's trying to ruin things.

Story of my fucking life, right there.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Dimocritus

Quote from: Suu on March 04, 2020, 07:00:28 PM
There is absolutely no fucking evidence that Warren was in it to split the progressive vote, especially when Bros were dragging he and anybody else who could possibly support her, calling it a "vagina vote" and other such shit. She was doing well early on, but it's not working in her favor. I think after yesterday, it's time for her to drop out.

But, far be it that a competent woman dare propose similar issues to a man, we can't have that. The man must always come out on top, or otherwise she's trying to ruin things.

Story of my fucking life, right there.

Look, I didn't have any problems with Warren up until she backpedaled on the whole super pac thing. I also think the timing is a little suspicious. 

LMNO

QuoteYou can't have 5-plus people dogpile on one dude and then say that you won fair and square

This is quite literally the primary process. 

Cramulus

I am more in warren camp, but I gave money to both warren and sanders

the other day, a sanders-supporting friend (distinct from 'bernie bro') was talking to me about that - said she revealed herself as a huge hypocrite by taking Super Pac money

Here's the thing about that.... I don't give a shit. Not one shit! Not even a tiny little M&M sized pip. There are children in cages, Ruth Bader Ginsburg is holding onto life by a fingernail, there are climate change deniers and white supremicists writing gov policy.... I am not getting hung up on trivial shit like being choosy over donors. The real question is, is Liz Warren in anybody's pocket? And I honestly don't think she's suddenly gonna go all libertarian because a few corporations want to throw in with her and she said "fine, I'll take your not-coordinated-with-my-campaign money".

This is that exact thing where Progressives love losing Strategic battles in order to retain the Moral highground. It's bringing a knife to a gun fight.

I think that you can be against Super PACs in principle, but still use them in elections where they are allowed. Because that's how the game is played right now. If you don't take super pac money, you are giving your opponent a huge advantage. Look, Trump has raised $150 million so far, and that doesn't count whatever personal assets he may contribute.

I will merit that Bernie has figured out how to get that cash without a super pac (he's raised $134 million), which is impressive. But it is a rare candidate who can raise super-pac-size money without a super-pac.

Dimocritus

Quote from: LMNO on March 04, 2020, 07:26:28 PM
QuoteYou can't have 5-plus people dogpile on one dude and then say that you won fair and square

This is quite literally the primary process.

In this case, yeah. Though I would argue that there's a significant difference between 1 vs. 1 vs. 1 vs. 1 vs. 1 and 1 vs. 4.

Dimocritus

Quote from: Cramulus on March 04, 2020, 07:33:11 PM

Here's the thing about that.... I don't give a shit. Not one shit! Not even a tiny little M&M sized pip. There are children in cages, Ruth Bader Ginsburg is holding onto life by a fingernail, there are climate change deniers and white supremicists writing gov policy.... I am not getting hung up on trivial shit like being choosy over donors. The real question is, is Liz Warren in anybody's pocket? And I honestly don't think she's suddenly gonna go all libertarian because a few corporations want to throw in with her and she said "fine, I'll take your not-coordinated-with-my-campaign money".

Y'know, you're right. No rebuttal, no buts.

The question is at this point, what can we do about this? Sure, voting and participating in the democratic process is something, but I can't help but think that there is more we can do on a kind of clandestine, underground level. I don't feel like we have the time to let bureaucracy run its course to even things out. I say this with no solid ideas, but it is something that is constantly churning  in the back of my mind.