Main Menu

Capeshit

Started by Cramulus, March 12, 2019, 01:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

Quote from: LMNO on April 03, 2019, 01:02:31 PM
Quote from: Faust on April 03, 2019, 11:53:10 AM
Quote from: Fujikoma on April 03, 2019, 09:59:36 AM
I mean, the reason is he's the world's shittiest superhero.
He's dorky in the same way most DC characters are dorky and I love it. They shouldn't try the dark and gritty reboots with batman in full metal plate, or worse try to distract us from the goofy charm of the likes of Aquaman, where DC were so insecure about the character they try to hypnotise us with Jason Mamoa's glistening abs

Worked for me.
I guess hanging a film on that fantastic chest is reasonable, didn't really matter what the film was

Quote from: Hoopla! on April 03, 2019, 02:26:02 PM
He's been called Shazam officially since 2011 or so, I think. I preferred Marvelman.
Disney's team of lawyers and warrior comics and that dick Todd McFarlane want words with you. I didn't realise they renamed him in the New 52. Not sure if I like that
Sleepless nights at the chateau

hooplala

Yeah how exactly did Todd Macfarlane get involved with Marvelman anyway?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

altered

Any time macfarlane comes up I end up with literal, physical question marks above my head

I'm about as edgy a person as you can find who isn't a completely garbage human and yet /better people than me/ were macfarlane fans, what even is the draw, I don't understand

Forgive my typing like a worm, I am both sick and also actually literally a human-sized roundworm
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

hooplala

When he first joined Spider-Man when I was around 13 I was in absolute love with his art style. It was completely different than everyone else who had worked on Spidey around that time. His poses were insane, his webbing felt alive. However, looking back a lot of the stuff I loved looks like it was drawn by a teenager.

I was not into Spawn at all, so all I know about him now is vague stories of him being an asshole.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

altered

Spawn should have been something I was into because I was an edgy dumbass kid but I never saw the draw, just seemed incredibly dull and stupid to me (and it still does)
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Faust

Todd bought the toy rights or something to Miracle/Marvel man when the 4 way legal battle happened somehow he ended up asserting some kind of ownership claim but I don't know the extent of.

I follow writers not characters, if I told you Will Magnus and the Metal men had a brilliant funny story written by mark waid in 52.
Spawn the character has a couple of interesting stories one by alan moore  and one by grant morrison I think.
There was a good HBO animated spawn series with great voice acting that ran a few series back in the nineties that as a teen I loved, but watvhing it again it  is very dark.

The Johnny

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

LMNO

Looping way back to a completely SEPARATE tangent, I never read the Legion comics, I've only seen the show (and I fell in love).

On a scale of Sandman to The Invisibles, how much of a headfuck are the comics?  I'm considering reading them.

Cramulus

Alan Moore, writing Watchmen: "The superhero fantasy is authoritarian and even fascistic."

Nerdy Fanboys: "Awesome!"

Alan Moore:

Alan Moore: "No that's... that's not awesome."

[s]

Faust

Quote from: LMNO on April 05, 2019, 01:09:28 PM
Looping way back to a completely SEPARATE tangent, I never read the Legion comics, I've only seen the show (and I fell in love).

On a scale of Sandman to The Invisibles, how much of a headfuck are the comics?  I'm considering reading them.
To be honest legion in the comics has never really been all that close to the TV show, that's why it was so fresh, they treated it almost as a blank slate and a vehicle for new ideas. In X-force he was very nineties edgy. This has an advantage for the TV, I have no idea where they are going to go next with the character and its interesting because of I have no frame of reference for it.

The closest comic for mental illness with experimental story telling (barring The Invisibles as you mentioned, and The Filth by Grant Morrison) I can think of is Shade the Changing man by Peter Milligan. The art is gorgeous too with many of the artists overlapping with sandman. The amazon description mentions it as "Shade is back" but you wouldn't have ever needed to read the old golden age comics to get any of this
https://www.amazon.com/Shade-Changing-Man-Vol-American/dp/140120046X

Quote from: Cramulus on April 05, 2019, 01:38:29 PM
Alan Moore, writing Watchmen: "The superhero fantasy is authoritarian and even fascistic."

Nerdy Fanboys: "Awesome!"

Alan Moore:

Alan Moore: "No that's... that's not awesome."

[s]

And so watchmen becomes another Nazi's power fantasy to be milked until everyone loses interest. HBO are doing watchman something now. Because we want Nazi's in beautiful colourful clothes to crush us under their boot, this is society now.

LMNO

Thanks for the advice, Faust!

Trivial

Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Faust

Yikes, he doesn't hold back. That last line as well "By the way you guys have ruined us, were going into showbiz" This was recorded a couple of years or less of the comics books industry collapse and half a decade before Blade started the ball rolling on the film aspect.

hooplala

They deserved to be picked on. That was some garbage they put together there, like all the worst of both of them rolled into one horrible character.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

altered

Like I said, I was a really fucking edgy child and even I did not get the draw to this sort of crap.

I grew out of the comics of my time /before I was old enough to be the target audience/.

Instead I was obsessed with Alien, Evil Dead and Tremors in movies, Quake and Diablo in video games, and being perfectly honest with myself and everyone else, the only TV show I was super into as a child for any length of time was Gargoyles.

Like... who is the target audience for Macfarlane and Liefeld's stuff? Who likes this shit? I genuinely want to know, because it is absolutely mind boggling to me. It isn't even all that edgy. The cenobites from Hellraiser, those are edgy. This Overkill is a sad clown, except the clown shoes are on his shoulders and he's got a gun hand.

ETA: Wait, I figured it out!!! The target audience is juggalos!