News:

PD.com: The culmination of the 'Ted Stevens Plan'

Main Menu

Capeshit

Started by Cramulus, March 12, 2019, 01:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on March 16, 2019, 04:42:54 AM
I know that Batman reports to Comissioner Gordon and has permission from the police to do what he is doing
Batman answers to Gordon?  That's absurd.  Responding to someone's distress signals, and occasionally sharing information, does not imply that you're under their authority.  If Gordon was following The Rules, he would be trying to arrest Batman.  And if the police did withdraw their "permission", do you think Batman would stop?  It isn't as if Batman and the police are never at odds.

Superman may have diplomatic immunity as well since he is, by default, effectively the Kryptonian government, as only one is required for Krypton to remain a relevant power
Government of what?  Space dust doesn't count as territory, and a sole survivor is hardly a population.  Superman gets away with what he does because a) he's perceived as one of the good guys, and b) no one could stop him anyway.

Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Cain

You have to admit, that was a pretty novel interpretation.

Pergamos

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on March 16, 2019, 04:42:54 AM
Quote from: Cramulus on March 12, 2019, 01:15:02 PMWhat about regular law enforcement, how would that square with the normalization of vigilante justice?

I know that Batman reports to Comissioner Gordon and has permission from the police to do what he is doing (although Comissioner Gordon likely has radically overstepped his authority), and Auqaman theortically has diplomatic immunity due to being the king of Atlantis. Superman may have diplomatic immunity as well since he is, by default, effectively the Kryptonian government, as only one is required for Krypton to remain a relevant power and for much of his storyline he is the only kryptonian survivor who is neither disqualified due to being an exiled criminal nor being held prisoner by the supervillain Brainiac

Batman actually explored this a fair amount in the comics, he was hunted by the police for a while before coming to his arrangement with Gordon.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 16, 2019, 04:16:19 PM
Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on March 16, 2019, 01:18:17 PM

and a sole survivor is hardly a population. 

But it is.
It is, technically, but a formal system of government typically entails a population count above the monkeysphere limit (100-150 people).

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Superman may have diplomatic immunity as well since he is, by default, effectively the Kryptonian government, as only one is required for Krypton to remain a relevant power
Government of what?  Space dust doesn't count as territory, and a sole survivor is hardly a population.  Superman gets away with what he does because a) he's perceived as one of the good guys, and b) no one could stop him anyway.

Point B is the key here. Even with only one guy left Krypton is still a signficant military power
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on March 16, 2019, 04:50:53 PM

Point B is the key here. Even with only one guy left Krypton is still a signficant military power
There is no Krypton anymore, and Superman is a civilian.
In contrast, General Zod is (was) Kryptonian military.  Would you like to give him diplomatic immunity?

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on March 16, 2019, 05:14:07 PM
Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on March 16, 2019, 04:50:53 PM

In contrast, General Zod is (was) Kryptonian military.  Would you like to give him diplomatic immunity?
He was exiled, I don't think he's even a kryptonian citizen anymore.

My argumemt was that everything would default to superman because he's the only one left who wasn't formally disqualified before the shit went down (and who is also free to act and not a prisoner of Brainiac). Everything would fall to him by virtue of there being no one else.

Plus, despite being a civilian, he is nonetheless, by himself, and regardless of anything else that may or may not default to him, a de facto military power
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on March 16, 2019, 05:37:16 PM
Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on March 16, 2019, 05:14:07 PM
He was exiled, I don't think he's even a kryptonian citizen anymore.

My argumemt was that everything would default to superman because he's the only one left who wasn't formally disqualified before the shit went down (and who is also free to act and not a prisoner of Brainiac). Everything would fall to him by virtue of there being no one else.

What are your feelings about the standing of the current leader of the Soviet Union?  I'm only asking because, as of today, the Soviet Union is in far better condition than Krypton (they both broke up, but the former Soviet Union's landmass is still there).

This "everything" that you claim would fall to Superman seems to me to be nothing at all.  Why are you so insistent on ascribing some sort of authority to Superman based on him being one of the last Kryptonians?  Superman derives his power from having actual superpowers.  If he had the same abilities as an ordinary human, do you think that him being the head of the Kryptonian government would signify any more than a snowflake in a sandstorm?

The Johnny

How dare you assume Supermans political gender?!

Maybe hes a kryptonian anarchist emigree that abides by Earths laws.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

altered

Quote from: The Johnny on March 16, 2019, 10:13:51 PM

Do me the hugest of favors and never make a gender joke again. Ever. For the rest of your life.

Not because you are bad, but because those jokes are bad and there's good reason you don't see anyone else round here saying them.

Signed,
Actually trans and, like anyone else who doesn't want to be in the hospital in an hour, rarely corrects misgendering.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

The Johnny

Quote from: nullified on March 16, 2019, 11:39:36 PM
Quote from: The Johnny on March 16, 2019, 10:13:51 PM

Do me the hugest of favors and never make a gender joke again. Ever. For the rest of your life.

Not because you are bad, but because those jokes are bad and there's good reason you don't see anyone else round here saying them.

Signed,
Actually trans and, like anyone else who doesn't want to be in the hospital in an hour, rarely corrects misgendering.

Ok, ill be more sensitive, my bad.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Cain

Since you may not know Johnny, given you said you didn't know much about the alt-right before yesterday, jokes like that and the now-infamous "attack helicoptor meme" are almost exclusively used by alt-right refuse when mocking trans people.

The internet has been pretty shite for the past few years.

Con-troll

Wait... so one could actually avoid that shit? I really need to go get some perspective.
I get trauma from stuff most don't even notice.

The Johnny

Quote from: Cain on March 17, 2019, 10:13:55 AM
Since you may not know Johnny, given you said you didn't know much about the alt-right before yesterday, jokes like that and the now-infamous "attack helicoptor meme" are almost exclusively used by alt-right refuse when mocking trans people.

The internet has been pretty shite for the past few years.

The "alt-right" discourse/practice is an anglo/euro phenomenon that i experience as an observer/foreigner, we dont have the equivalent of it in terms of cohesion or organization, nor a cohesive and organized opposition either; despite some issues being global tendencies, the framing of discussion is very different.

Also, even tho gay rights and homophobia are a thematic recurrence, trans and genderization issues are non-existant compared to the USA (in Mexico, that is)... making memory, i think ive only personally met two persons that choose to be called different from their biological sex.

-B.F. Skinner