News:

Everyone who calls themselves "wolf-something" or "something-wolf" almost inevitably turns out to be an irredeemable shitneck.

Main Menu

Capeshit

Started by Cramulus, March 12, 2019, 01:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

altered

Quote from: The Johnny on March 17, 2019, 07:30:39 PM
Quote from: Cain on March 17, 2019, 10:13:55 AM
Since you may not know Johnny, given you said you didn't know much about the alt-right before yesterday, jokes like that and the now-infamous "attack helicoptor meme" are almost exclusively used by alt-right refuse when mocking trans people.

The internet has been pretty shite for the past few years.

The "alt-right" discourse/practice is an anglo/euro phenomenon that i experience as an observer/foreigner, we dont have the equivalent of it in terms of cohesion or organization, nor a cohesive and organized opposition either; despite some issues being global tendencies, the framing of discussion is very different.

Also, even tho gay rights and homophobia are a thematic recurrence, trans and genderization issues are non-existant compared to the USA (in Mexico, that is)... making memory, i think ive only personally met two persons that choose to be called different from their biological sex.

Speaking from awareness of the situation in Mexico by way of trans friends who live there, you know so few there because most of those who make it public they're trans get murdered. Best friends and family members count as publicizing it in Mexico, as in a lot of places where being trans in public is equivalent to suicide.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.eluniversal.com.mx/amp/note/amp/eluniversal/1414609

This phenomenon, by the way, is so widespread that we have a kind of sick holiday for it, the Trans Day of Remembrance.

I'm willing to guarantee you that you have met far more trans people than you think, just they will never, ever, /ever/ let you know. They might present as their birth gender or they might have transitioned. But they will never, ever, not with a gun to their head, say a goddamn word to you or anyone else. This is called "going stealth".

Please don't assume the issues don't exist just because you don't see them. That's the same shit as white Europeans saying racism is an American problem. There are serious issues, issues with a body count, around trans rights in Mexico. Among them is "the right to breathe as a trans person". Your being unaware of them doesn't make them go away.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

The Johnny

Quote from: nullified on March 17, 2019, 07:47:57 PM
Since you may not know Johnny, given you said you didn't know much about the alt-right before yesterday, jokes like that and the now-infamous "attack helicoptor meme" are almost exclusively used by alt-right refuse when mocking trans people.

The "alt-right" discourse/practice is an anglo/euro phenomenon that i experience as an observer/foreigner, we dont have the equivalent of it in terms of cohesion or organization, nor a cohesive and organized opposition either; despite some issues being global tendencies, the framing of discussion is very different.

Also, even tho gay rights and homophobia are a thematic recurrence, trans and genderization issues are non-existant compared to the USA (in Mexico, that is)... making memory, i think ive only personally met two persons that choose to be called different from their biological sex.

Speaking from awareness of the situation in Mexico by way of trans friends who live there, you know so few there because most of those who make it public they're trans get murdered. Best friends and family members count as publicizing it in Mexico, as in a lot of places where being trans in public is equivalent to suicide.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.eluniversal.com.mx/amp/note/amp/eluniversal/1414609

This phenomenon, by the way, is so widespread that we have a kind of sick holiday for it, the Trans Day of Remembrance.

I'm willing to guarantee you that you have met far more trans people than you think, just they will never, ever, /ever/ let you know. They might present as their birth gender or they might have transitioned. But they will never, ever, not with a gun to their head, say a goddamn word to you or anyone else. This is called "going stealth".

Please don't assume the issues don't exist just because you don't see them. That's the same shit as white Europeans saying racism is an American problem. There are serious issues, issues with a body count, around trans rights in Mexico. Among them is "the right to breathe as a trans person". Your being unaware of them doesn't make them go away.

In some states its very common for homosexuals/trans to get killed that is true, and i phrased it wrong, by "not an issue" i mean that its not a public topic discussed as widely as in other countries; theres discussions of homophobia here and there in the media, the trans topic is rarely touched and i have not seen a single discussion about gender pronouns (?) - as a side note related to the article, i dont even think that "hate crimes" exist as legal typification yet for racism or trans/homophobia, but i think theres something among the lines of "violence targetted at women" that makes sentences harsher, not sure.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Al Qədic

Quote from: The Johnny on March 17, 2019, 08:42:39 PM
Quote from: nullified on March 17, 2019, 07:47:57 PM

In some states its very common for homosexuals/trans to get killed that is true, and i phrased it wrong, by "not an issue" i mean that its not a public topic discussed as widely as in other countries; theres discussions of homophobia here and there in the media, the trans topic is rarely touched and i have not seen a single discussion about gender pronouns (?) - as a side note related to the article, i dont even think that "hate crimes" exist as legal typification yet for racism or trans/homophobia, but i think theres something among the lines of "violence targetted at women" that makes sentences harsher, not sure.

Throwing my two cents in here, if I may. Echoing what null has already mentioned, trans people are marginalized to hell and back, when they're even acknowledged at all, in a lot of places. I hope I don't sound like I'm talking down to you, Johnny, but I want to say that, personally, I think the best part of this conversation right now is the fact that you said a somewhat unsavory joke, and still acknowledge the problematic subject matter around it, even though you weren't as knowledgeable about said subject. Shit is hard to keep up with, man, and as far as I've concerned, I'd rather have a bunch of harmless jokes that come off awkwardly rather than a single actually malicious comment on the matter, you know what I mean?

The thing about issues like this, like many other issues, is the matter of the knowledge of the person piping up and saying something. Sometimes we don't know as much as we thought we knew. Sometimes information changes entirely, and we might not be any the wiser until we screw up and present old, faulty info. Hell, I'm a trans woman in California, and I have no bloody idea what LGBT issues are like south of the border. From what I can gather here they seem...lukewarm? Some legislation, with little visibility?

I'm not sure what point I've made here, I'm busy watching Twin Peaks, eating granola, and writing an essay about trickster deities. I'm short, I hope none of the tense feelings around the subject matter will be misconstrued as malice by any party. To me, it's a great thing just to have the conversation in the first place. Cheers, all.

On a side note, screw the helicopter jokes. Who would even want to be a helicopter? Jet planes are obviously superior. :lulz:
There is no reason to,
Be ashamed of poetry. It,
Is natural. But you should,
Still do it in private,
And wash your hands afterward.

altered

Oh yeah, I want to be clear: I think Johnny's a great dude. He's been missed in his time away and I didn't think he was malicious in intent for a minute.

But I have a tendency to view things like this as "teachable moments," which requires a tough balance to be struck between clearly communicating this is not okay, but making it about the thing said and not the person. Johnny seemed to interpret me correctly both times, so I don't think I'm too far off in my approach here.

It was intended as a quick aside, and his last post addressed my points concisely and pointed out I misunderstood him on one point, so we can go back to posting about the political implications of being able to destroy a nation alone with your bare hands in a picture book.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

The Johnny

Yeah like, in this same forum years back i think one time i "yelled" at someone when we ran into a touchy subject instead of trying to educate them, and i think i wasnt the first or the last one to do it... and i mean, theres some cases like the "id rather be alive than get shot by sand nags" guy (or something like that) which is full blown racism, then other cases which is just lack of contact, expererience or degrees of sensibility.

Also it takes me between 10 to 20 minutes to write a post in this forum, between the inner translations, corrections and thinking of the content, and my english isnt that bad nor am i particularly dumb... which i guess its good? it forces me to think, just like it might do for other members, because were all very diverse
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Faust

Look what you are discussing is an important social issue, but can we get back to the business at hand of forcing cramulus to choose a side in the mcu/dc film conflict
Sleepless nights at the chateau

altered

Quote from: Faust on March 18, 2019, 10:37:48 AM
Look what you are discussing is an important social issue, but can we get back to the business at hand of forcing cramulus to choose a side in the mcu/dc film conflict

It is crucially important that Cramulus takes a stand so we can descend on him like a pack of demented orangutans, as is custom.

Cramulus

Here's a teachable moment:

:this:

:nuke2:

hooplala

Hey, I saw Captain Marvel yesterday and I liked it.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

Saying "Teachable moment" to or about someone instantly guarantees that they will immediately stop listening.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hoopla! on March 18, 2019, 12:58:47 PM
Hey, I saw Captain Marvel yesterday and I liked it.

It looks pretty good.
Molon Lube

altered

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 18, 2019, 07:26:13 PM
Saying "Teachable moment" to or about someone instantly guarantees that they will immediately stop listening.

I have a bad habit of saying things that sort of way, it is a curse I labor under in the same way as the curse where I say shit that belongs in the mouth of a wizard in a low rent Lord of the Rings ripoff.

Cain

Is this a teachable moment?

Faust

Captain Marvel was... OK. It uses the same skeleton of humor they have been using since Guardians of the galaxy, but the plot was weaker then average and they aren't great with the plots in general. That said its fun, the characters are entertaining but the films are giving diminishing returns.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on March 18, 2019, 08:05:21 PM

Is this a teachable moment?

It's different when I do it.  :lulz:
Molon Lube