News:

He was a pretty good teacher, but he's also batshit insane and smells like ferret pee.

Main Menu

The Holy Rage

Started by The Wizard Joseph, March 17, 2019, 01:10:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Johnny

Quote from: Cramulus on March 31, 2019, 02:19:17 PM
I dunno about that, I think that having reigns on my id has kept me out of a lot of shit. In my teen years, I was helpless to stop that beast, and it did a lot of damage to me and the people around me.

I would say that the more I mastered my "id" impulses, the less I've allowed it to hijack my control panel, the more my happiness has been increased and my suffering decreased.

There is definitely a problem if you are denying the id everything it wants, but there is a long range between resisting impulses and being a stick-up-the-ass puritan. I do let my id out to play, but ideally, that's a choice I consciously make.

On a whim, I gave up something for lent this year. Without getting into details--it's been an ongoing test of self control. The first few days really made me question my own capacity to change a pleasurable habit. As we pull into the home stretch, I feel like I have exercised something, built up a kind of muscle... and that feels pretty damn good too.

The issue with the Id is that it functions on the basis of the pleasure principle regardless of morals or consequences... it demands satisfaction with no regards to anyone or anything, so I can understand the problems with just letting it loose.

I dont think we really disagree, the Ego after all is the residence of conscience and reality principle, but the Ego in itself has a lot of traps and issues in itself... narcissism, rationalization, the tendency to always being hijacked by peer pressure...

Let the Id run free and you have either artists, psychopaths or psychotics... let the Ego run misdirected and uncontested and you have a suit, or a repressed normie that follows the letter of the law...

So I still personally reject the notion of "caging, dominating" the Id, which doesnt mean im a degenerate follower of Reich or Marcuse (they see all repression or self-control as the root of all problems), id prefer speaking of doing diplomacy or agreements between Id and Ego, between pleasure and reality principles... we cant be tyrants with ourselves and expect a part of us not to revolt, at the end of the day i think its  problem of inner governance.

And ill give a very crude example myself, sometimes i dont jack off when im in the mood just so that instead of wasting that powerful energy i can spend it on exersice, reading, writing... in a sense it was a delayed and transformed gratification, but it provides a comparable degree of satisfaction whilst being actually productive.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Johnny

Quote from: Con-troll on March 31, 2019, 10:23:50 AM
Johnny sees the Elephant!

Lets maul him to pulp with tire irons!

At least it sounds less lame than doing batting practice against a mattress  :lulz:
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Cramulus

my current framework is

the self is fragmented
the inner beast we're discussing here is one of those parts

These aspects of self do not communicate with each other, they are often ignorant of each other's needs and act independantly.

What I'd call the 'true self' is the integration of these personal aspects. Ideally, they support each other, recognizing each other's needs and not blocking one another. Each is given its turn at the right time.

under normal circumstances, these selves rarely act in unison--they tend to argue and distract each other.
There must be another inner self, which they all listen to and respect.
This self is the master of the house.

By default, this master is not home. We have to create it. But that's another topic.

The Johnny

I can pretty much agree on everything you just said despite of thinking of it in a different conceptual language.

The only thing that sounds out of place or odd is why youd call this integration of parts the "True Self"?... Would each fragmented part be one out of two "false selves"? Why put to play the category of truth or falseness when the seemingly more relevant category is integration or separation?

-B.F. Skinner

altered

Why must non-truth be falsehood?

If you ask someone where you can find a Golden Apple Tree, and they do not answer, have you been lied to?
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Doktor Howl

I have only false selves.  It cuts down on confusion.

TGRR/Little Billy/Padre Dolor/Doktor Howl?  Which one is real?  None of them.  I refused to be pinned down by reality or common sense.  I am Godzilla on rollerskates, Bubba, and if you see me coming, you better run.
Molon Lube

Cramulus

Quote from: The Johnny on April 01, 2019, 01:13:15 AM
The only thing that sounds out of place or odd is why youd call this integration of parts the "True Self"?

I could type a mountain answering this, but I don't want to jack this great thread with my own blah blah blah - to answer in brief

While not-integrated, we are constantly at war with ourselves
in special moments, flashes of insight, the disparate processors can "hear" each other - this state of being feels real in a way that makes the rest of life feel like a dream

Life is Real Only Then, When 'I Am'

hooplala

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 01, 2019, 06:50:08 AM

TGRR/Little Billy/Padre Dolor/Doktor Howl?  Which one is real?  None of them.  I refused to be pinned down by reality or common sense.  I am Godzilla on rollerskates, Bubba, and if you see me coming, you better run.

Wait just a god damn minute...

Little Billy isn't real?!
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Fujikoma

Your homework assignment: Find your inner beast and fuck it.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hoopla! on April 01, 2019, 01:51:33 PM

Billy is, that's a totally different dude.  I am referring to the Little Billy of the Mysticwicks era.
Molon Lube

hooplala

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 01, 2019, 09:07:23 PM
Quote from: Hoopla! on April 01, 2019, 01:51:33 PM

Billy is, that's a totally different dude.  I am referring to the Little Billy of the Mysticwicks era.

Oh thank god
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Johnny

Quote from: Fujikoma on April 01, 2019, 06:54:50 PM

Sounds like Furry propaganda to me!

-B.F. Skinner

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Johnny on April 01, 2019, 10:59:11 PM

:lulz:
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Fujikoma

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on April 01, 2019, 10:59:46 PM
Quote from: The Johnny on April 01, 2019, 10:59:11 PM

:lulz:

I noticed you didn't ask about extra credit.