News:

Testimonial: "This board is everything that's fucking wrong with the internet"

Main Menu

A Parable (just for funsies)

Started by IntentionallyLeftBlank, March 23, 2019, 08:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IntentionallyLeftBlank

Have you not heard of that madman who lit a spliff in the bright morning hours, ran to the local dive, and howled incessantly: "I seek Punk! I seek Punk!" -- As many of those who believed they were Punk were standing around just then, he provoked much laughter. What's with the leather jacket? asked one. Liberty spikes are for posers... said another. Why is he yelling? What's he so mad about? Just chill, bro. You're not being very socio-politically conscious -- Thus they looked down their noses.

The madman elbowed his way into their midst and eyed their many unconventional piercings. "Where the fuck is Punk?" he shouted; "I'll tell you. We've killed it -- you and I. All of us are it's consumers. But how did it happen? How could we drink up all the PBR and 'Gansette? Who gave us the bar napkins to wipe away the city streets and piss-filled alleyways? What were we doing when we unchained the wallet from the belt loop? Where the fuck are we going now? Towards full-on radio-friendliness? Are we not catering continually to the advertisers and promoters? No longer pitting in circles? Backward, sideward, forward, in all directions? Is there still any hardcore or crust? Are we not straying towards shitty "folk-punk, as if though it doesn't lead towards an infinite nothing? Do we not feel the breath of empty venues? Has it not become safer? Is not homogeneity continually closing in on us? Do we not need to start drinking in the morning? Do we hear nothing as yet of the noise of the hipsters who are burying Punk? Do we smell nothing as yet of the subterranean decomposition? Punk, too, decomposes. Punk is dead. Punk remains dead. And we have killed it.

"How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was earthliest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What musical festivals of atonement, what sacred drinking games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become punks simply to appear worthy of it? There has never been a greater deed; and whoever is born after us -- because of this deed he will belong to a more sheltered musical history than all history hitherto."

Here the madman fell silent and looked again at his listeners; and they, too, were silent and stared at him in judgment and disgust. At last he threw his joint on the floor, and with his boot, he ground it into the clean tile floor and it went out. "I have come too late," he said then; "my time is passed. This tremendous event has happened long ago but it has not yet reached the ears of youth. Lightning and thunder require time; the light of the stars requires time; deeds, though done, still require time to be seen and heard. This deed is still more distant from them than most distant stars -- and yet they have done it themselves.

It has been related further that on the same day the madman forced his way into several venues and there struck up his requiem aeternam veritatem. Led out and called to account, he is said always to have replied nothing but: "What after all are these bars now if they are not the tombs and sepulchers of Punk?"
No Signature

The Johnny

Im not even that invested in punk, but i catch the reference, 10/10 would read again, glorious copypasta template that should be used more frequently for numerous topics

:golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap:
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

altered

I'm not a huge punk fan, but have you paid any attention to what's been coming out of powerviolence and noise rock lately? Xaddax, Nails, Full of Hell, Street Sects (ESPECIALLY the End Position album), quite a few others definitely have the magic.

Also check out some sludge metal like Primitive Man, It Is I, etc. It might be slow, crawling doom metal but it's definitely got the soul of punk (i.e. loud, sloppy, angry noise, like a hard rock band thrown down the stairs by a bunch of hungry bears).

If you like that stuff, you might also be into Corrections House, a band by Mike Williams from Eyehategod that has written such modern classics as White Man's Gonna Lose, Grin with a Purpose, and Dirt Poor and Mentally Ill. (He is definitely not Quality People, so this isn't morally objectionable to listen to despite the potentially questionable titles.)

I don't really "get" the parable as Johnny seems to, but hey, maybe you'll enjoy the music suggestions anyway.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

IntentionallyLeftBlank

Quote from: nullified on March 23, 2019, 10:03:14 PM
I'm not a huge punk fan, but have you paid any attention to what's been coming out of powerviolence and noise rock lately? Xaddax, Nails, Full of Hell, Street Sects (ESPECIALLY the End Position album), quite a few others definitely have the magic.

Also check out some sludge metal like Primitive Man, It Is I, etc. It might be slow, crawling doom metal but it's definitely got the soul of punk (i.e. loud, sloppy, angry noise, like a hard rock band thrown down the stairs by a bunch of hungry bears).

If you like that stuff, you might also be into Corrections House, a band by Mike Williams from Eyehategod that has written such modern classics as White Man's Gonna Lose, Grin with a Purpose, and Dirt Poor and Mentally Ill. (He is definitely not Quality People, so this isn't morally objectionable to listen to despite the potentially questionable titles.)

I don't really "get" the parable as Johnny seems to, but hey, maybe you'll enjoy the music suggestions anyway.

Was less thinking about the genre as a whole and more commenting on the local scene out here, which has traditionally been really strong. However, as of late, there seems to be a 'whitewashing' of sorts when it comes to local music, and as a member of a band that is 'unwhitewashable' I think we're being actively pushed out for 'cleaner, more presentable' acts.
No Signature

Doktor Howl

Quote from: IntentionallyLeftBlank on March 23, 2019, 11:49:21 PM
Quote from: nullified on March 23, 2019, 10:03:14 PM

Was less thinking about the genre as a whole and more commenting on the local scene out here, which has traditionally been really strong. However, as of late, there seems to be a 'whitewashing' of sorts when it comes to local music, and as a member of a band that is 'unwhitewashable' I think we're being actively pushed out for 'cleaner, more presentable' acts.

I stood in 5 degree weather with a hangover to hear your band.  Worth it.
Molon Lube

altered

If the Dok thinks your band is worth a listen, I gotta ask if you have any releases or anything I can track down. Maybe the band name to go with 'em. I'll have a few free dollars lying around this month.

PMs are fine if you aren't cool dropping personal info like that in the open.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

IntentionallyLeftBlank

Quote from: nullified on March 24, 2019, 03:17:58 AM
If the Dok thinks your band is worth a listen, I gotta ask if you have any releases or anything I can track down. Maybe the band name to go with 'em. I'll have a few free dollars lying around this month.

PMs are fine if you aren't cool dropping personal info like that in the open.

You can listen for free here. That's our latest, if you feel like digging around you can find more or less our complete discography, minus some really old shit.
No Signature

altered

I'm a horrible judge of this kind of punk, so I hesitate to say good or bad. I can tell for sure the live show must be a fucking blast, but in a basement at night by myself through cheap wireless headphones it falls sorta flat.

But I have enjoyed a good half of the linked album and didn't find it hard to listen to or boring or annoying, so you can have my 8 dollars when my money arrives (probably Wednesday or so). When I don't "get" a band on first listen, it usually clicks when it pops up in shuffle at some point in the future.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: nullified on March 24, 2019, 06:09:49 AM
I'm a horrible judge of this kind of punk, so I hesitate to say good or bad. I can tell for sure the live show must be a fucking blast, but in a basement at night by myself through cheap wireless headphones it falls sorta flat.

But I have enjoyed a good half of the linked album and didn't find it hard to listen to or boring or annoying, so you can have my 8 dollars when my money arrives (probably Wednesday or so). When I don't "get" a band on first listen, it usually clicks when it pops up in shuffle at some point in the future.

ILB's head isn't being jammed through a ceiling riser by Richter.  It's going to be a bit flat.

The genius of the band was that you never knew when shit was gonna go totally sideways.  It would seem like that would distract from the music.  It doesn't.
Molon Lube

altered

If I'm ever in the vicinity of somewhere they're playing (or they somehow end up in the Lansing area, which is incredibly silly) I'll NEED to see it.

Lord knows I haven't been to enough concerts (two, two is the number of concerts).

Con-troll

Goo shit!

Any creative tips on writing authentic punk songs, I got drunk and now I'm apparently in a band
I get trauma from stuff most don't even notice.

IntentionallyLeftBlank

Quote from: Con-troll on March 24, 2019, 02:36:57 PM
Goo shit!

Any creative tips on writing authentic punk songs, I got drunk and now I'm apparently in a band

Do whatever the fuck you want, otherwise you're doing it wrong.
No Signature

Con-troll

Quote from: IntentionallyLeftBlank on March 24, 2019, 03:08:03 PM
Goo shit!

I want to do it wrong.
I get trauma from stuff most don't even notice.

IntentionallyLeftBlank

Quote from: Con-troll on March 24, 2019, 03:45:35 PM
Quote from: IntentionallyLeftBlank on March 24, 2019, 03:08:03 PM
Goo shit!

I want to do it wrong.

Then there's no way you can go wrong...
No Signature

altered

Is that too much power for one spag to hold?