News:

Oceana has always been at war with Iraq

Main Menu

COSTUMES

Started by trix, March 26, 2019, 04:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trix

People are strange.

I often see people walking around, both in public and on the clock at their jobs, in the strangest costumes. 

The guy walking around dressed like a Cowboy straight out of an old Western movie, who has never wrangled a cow or whatever in his life.  Who lives in the apartment two doors down from me and doesn't even know what a pasture smells like.  He likes his theme so much he drives the big pickup truck, has a belt buckle the size of Texas (here in Wisconsin), and when he can, he carries a gun on his hip just in case Billy the Kid shows up one day.

The woman dressed like some sort of gothic vampire.  With the "I <3 ZOMBIES" keychain.  White powdered face with heavy black eyeliner.

The person who appears to be a man wearing a dress, bra, and wig to work, because that is the look they prefer.

The guy in the Businessman costume, not a tuxedo but shirt and tie and "very nice" shoes.

The casual Steve in his old hole-filled ripped up T-Shirt and holey jeans.

The Princess in her stunning dress and other accessories and make-up that had to have taken at least two hours each morning to put together.

These are all people I work with.  Walking around in costume, covered with the marks of their respective themes.  This is fully accepted for the most part.  There are exceptions (the rednecks like to poke at the crossdresser and the casual steve is always ribbing the businessman and whistling at the Princess) but for the most part nobody is ever told to "go home and come back dressed normally".  Why?  Because that is normal.  These are accepted normal ways to dress in modern society, even by supervisors and managers.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not judging or criticizing.  Actually I think it's pretty great.  But, as fucking ALWAYS, my problem is with INCONSISTENCY.  GOD I HATE INCONSISTENCY.  My brain latches on to it like a life raft and will NOT let it go.

If I show up to work today wearing a Wizard robe, a wizard hat, carrying a big magicky-looking staff, driving a car painted to look like a dragon, I'm the weird one.  Not the Cowboy, not the Princess, me.  What makes one theme more acceptable than another?  A robe and hat and stick are much easier to set aside, take far less preparation, and are more likely to make people smile, than a full-on Vampire costume.  However, if I go to work like that I have absolutely no doubt I would be sent home to change into "regular clothes".  And If I went home and put on a cowboy costume and came back, that would be considered changing into normal clothes.

I would like to know who draws these arbitrary lines, and what kind of bribery would be effective on them.  I want to see more wizards, more Monks, more goofy Doctor Who outfits, more people dressed like Neo in the Matrix, driving around my workplace in a forklift.  Operating the machine next to mine.  Fixing my shear when it breaks down.  Instead I get about 30 cowboys and a few of the other mentioned types, and that's it, because anything else is somehow "too weird".  Worse, at least half of the fucking cowboys are of the openly racist, kill-animals-for-fun variety.  At least the guy in the Wizard robe I know I'd probably get along with.

Or Kill Me.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

hooplala

So, what is your costume?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

trix

Mostly I'm casual steve
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

trix

but I'd LIKE to be the wizard!
Zen Without Zen Masters

hooplala

Quote from: trix on March 26, 2019, 05:29:15 PM
Mostly I'm casual steve

Please describe your costume.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Johnny

It boils down to how compatible an attire is for business and money making interactions.

Like i could make business with a goth, a cowboy, suit person, or regular Steve because to me thats just their choice of aesthetics and personality.

But not everyone is me, and many people deem the expression of personality to be unproffesional and unbusiness like, thats why in high-stakes situations, suiting up or at least using business casual attire is the preferred norm:

*In the field of medicine and mental health we try to inspire trustworthiness to our patients: i cant fucking imagine my surgeon in a full clown outfit explaining to me how hes gonna cut me up and fix me - or engaging in a psychotherapy session in full punk attire and a mohawk.

There might be fringe cases in which your patients/customers love your outfit, but the more specific your attire is, the greater percentage of them you will be alienating - business suits are so bland and uninspired, but thats the whole point of them, to not provoke any great favourable nor negative reactions.

If youre bartending, fuck it, dress as a Furry if you may, nothing is at stake - if youre about to do open heart surgery, hear someones traumas or close a million dollar deal, please dont throw a monkey wrench to an already delicate process.

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Q. G. Pennyworth

I'd like to grab this for Holy Nonsense, but I'd want to clean up the bit about the dress and wig wearer if that's alright.

Pergamos

You know why wizard isn't as acceptable as cowboy, princess or vampire?  Because the cowboys, princesses, and vampires had the courage to dress that way and establish it as normal.  If Wizards would start going out dressed as wizards it would be normal too, in a few years.

LMNO

:news:

"MILLENNIALS ARE KILLING THE CLOTHING INDUSTRY BY WEARING WHATEVER THE HELL THEY WANT."

trix

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on March 28, 2019, 10:45:26 AM
I'd like to grab this for Holy Nonsense, but I'd want to clean up the bit about the dress and wig wearer if that's alright.

Crap I don't know how I missed this, but yes!  I would be honored to be included in your Holy Nonsense, and you can absolutely clean it up.   

I realize now that that bit about the dress wearer was badly put and could easily be taken wrongly, or offensively, by people that have a hard enough time trying to be who they are without catching shit about it.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: trix on March 06, 2021, 07:57:29 PM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on March 28, 2019, 10:45:26 AM

Crap I don't know how I missed this, but yes!  I would be honored to be included in your Holy Nonsense, and you can absolutely clean it up.   

I realize now that that bit about the dress wearer was badly put and could easily be taken wrongly, or offensively, by people that have a hard enough time trying to be who they are without catching shit about it.

FORTUNATELY I'M AN ASS THAT CAN'T MEET A DEADLINE TO SAVE MY SOLE.

trix

:aaa:  :fap:

I got Holy Nonsensed!!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I love it!
Zen Without Zen Masters