Please take a stand against our terrible values

Main Menu

Cancel Culture

Started by Cramulus, April 09, 2019, 02:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

altered

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on April 13, 2019, 06:51:12 AM
Quote from: nullified on April 13, 2019, 05:28:25 AM
Nemesis doesn't appear to work on Tapatalk, which is the only way to really use the forum on mobile.

I get by using the website through Chrome. If I have something lengthy to post I use of writing app program to get it down first then copypasta.

Unfortunately, while Chrome appears to work for you nerds, I've been saddled with an iThing. It's actually really nice to use, but it is an iThing with all that entails. I think Chrome exists for iOS, but I'm pretty sure it's just Safari with crud stacked on top, from what I remember when I researched alternate browsers. So it's Tapatalk or suffer.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: nullified on April 13, 2019, 06:55:16 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on April 13, 2019, 06:51:12 AM
Quote from: nullified on April 13, 2019, 05:28:25 AM
Nemesis doesn't appear to work on Tapatalk, which is the only way to really use the forum on mobile.

I get by using the website through Chrome. If I have something lengthy to post I use of writing app program to get it down first then copypasta.

Unfortunately, while Chrome appears to work for you nerds, I've been saddled with an iThing. It's actually really nice to use, but it is an iThing with all that entails. I think Chrome exists for iOS, but I'm pretty sure it's just Safari with crud stacked on top, from what I remember when I researched alternate browsers. So it's Tapatalk or suffer.

Well that's a big bag of suck. Do what you got to do as long as you keep on posting. I've come to very much like having you around!
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Don Coyote

Nemesis isnt the ignore/block list.

Faust

Quote from: Don Coyote on April 14, 2019, 04:29:52 PM

Who the hell wants to ignore their nemesis? That is like sitting in a room with your back to the door, or not checking your bedroom for traps before sleep.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on April 14, 2019, 04:38:46 PM
Quote from: Don Coyote on April 14, 2019, 04:29:52 PM

Who the hell wants to ignore their nemesis? That is like sitting in a room with your back to the door, or not checking your bedroom for traps before sleep.

Or not randomly shooting through the door.
Molon Lube

Al Qədic

Came across this Last Week Tonight episode from a few years ago; food waste is dumb and bad and, in a way, Cancel Culture™ is part of it too! I wonder what other theoretical concepts are edible. :lulz:

Be gone, ye imperfect peaches!

https://youtu.be/i8xwLWb0lLY
There is no reason to,
Be ashamed of poetry. It,
Is natural. But you should,
Still do it in private,
And wash your hands afterward.

Faust

Contrapoints video about being cancelled tonight really hit it home, its really personal, but really hits home the one trick pony of the outrage machine and the stages of attack, and it's funny it applies to everyone I've seen and can only happen with the inhuman locust effect (a person is capable of compassion, but people behave like an angry swarm).

She addresses some of the stuff people have said here as a negative about her, (and by cancel by association as an attack to attempt to deplatform someone) so now I know more about that drama and based on her side of the story, I can really see where she is coming from.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cramulus

"A Letter on Justice and Open Debate", cosigned by like 150 notable people

https://harpers.org/a-letter-on-justice-and-open-debate/

Cain

Notable mostly for having almost unlimited access to media outlets, spreading dumb ideas on them and then screeching like harpies when criticised for it on Twitter.

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on July 09, 2020, 02:36:11 PM
Notable mostly for having almost unlimited access to media outlets, spreading dumb ideas on them and then screeching like harpies when criticised for it on Twitter.

Cain

More seriously, there are two good, recent articles which run contra to the Harpers open letter, and quite convincingly so.

Osita Nwanevu in The New Republic:

QuoteWhen a speaker is denied or when staffers at a publication argue that something should not have been published, the rights of the parties in question haven't been violated in any way. But what we tend to hear in these and similar situations are criticisms that are at odds with the principle that groups in liberal society have the general right to commit themselves to values which many might disagree with and make decisions on that basis. There's nothing unreasonable about criticizing the substance of such decisions and the values that produce them. But accusations of "illiberalism" in these cases carry the implication that nonstate institutions under liberalism have an obligation of some sort to be maximally permissive of opposing ideas⁠—or at least maximally permissive of the kinds of ideas critics of progressive identity politics consider important. In fact, they do not.

Associative freedom is no less vital to liberalism than the other freedoms, and is actually integral to their functioning. There isn't a right explicitly enumerated in the First Amendment that isn't implicitly dependent on or augmented by similarly minded individuals having the right to come together. Most people worship with others; an assembly or petition of one isn't worth much; the institutions of the press are, again, associations; and individual speech is functionally inert unless some group chooses to offer a venue or a platform. And political speech is, in the first place, generally aimed at stirring some group or constituency to contemplation or action.

And Nesrine Malik in The Guardian:

QuoteFree speech had seemingly come to mean that no one had any right to object to what anyone ever said – which not only meant that no one should object to Johnson's comments but, in turn, that no one should object to their objection. Free speech logic, rather than the pursuit of a lofty Enlightenment value, had become a race to the bottom, where the alternative to being "professionally offended" is never to be offended at all. This logic today demands silence from those who are defending themselves from abuse or hate speech. It is, according to the director of the Institute of Race Relations, "the privileging of freedom of speech over freedom to life".

Our alleged free speech crisis was never really about free speech. The backdrop to the myth is rising anti-immigration sentiment and Islamophobia. Free-speech-crisis advocates always seem to have an agenda. They overwhelmingly wanted to exercise their freedom of speech in order to agitate against minorities, women, immigrants and Muslims.

But they dress these base impulses up in the language of concern or anti-establishment conspiracism. Similar to the triggers of political-correctness hysteria, there is a direct correlation between the rise in free speech panic and the rise in far-right or hard-right political energy, as evidenced by anti-immigration rightwing electoral successes in the US, the UK and across continental Europe. As the space for these views expanded, so the concept of free speech became frayed and tattered. It began to become muddled by false equivalence, caught between fact and opinion, between action and reaction. The discourse became mired in a misunderstanding of free speech as absolute.

Both are worth your time.

LMNO

I'll take some time with those, thanks!

Nibor the Priest

For me, what proves "cancel culture" isn't a thing is the fact that so many progressives still count Harry Potter and Father Ted among their favourite things (rightly or wrongly).

Doktor Howl

I still get MAGA freaks whining at me about their freedom to have an opinion, or how their opinion is "Just as valid as mine" or how "you can't judge me on my opinions."

1.  They DO have the right to an opinion.  I, however, have the right to mock them for their opinion.

2.  Nope.  A bad opinion is still bad.

3.  That is in fact the main means by which I judge people.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nyborj the Priest on July 09, 2020, 03:11:54 PM
For me, what proves "cancel culture" isn't a thing is the fact that so many progressives still count Harry Potter and Father Ted among their favourite things (rightly or wrongly).

Cancel culture is very much a thing, it's just not universal.
Molon Lube