News:

That's okay, I know how to turn my washing machine into a centrifuge if need be.

Main Menu

The International Discordian Society est. 2015 is MIA

Started by The Wizard Joseph, April 18, 2019, 08:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

It was brought to my attention this morning that the Facebook group I help admin has disappeared from Facebook. No search using Facebook can find it. I found a link to it on Google, but the link is broken. It says the page may have been removed, but I do not know what for or by whom. If anybody reading this has any information about what happened I would appreciate it if you post in this thread. Also posting this to let other people that admin here from PD know about the disappearance.

The Facebook help desk is useless. It just said the link may be broken or the Group may have been removed. I'm guessing the group was removed by an admin, but I don't know. There are no messages in my inbox about Facebook removing it for content.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Q. G. Pennyworth

The Wizard Joseph

That seems to be the thing to do. I'm a little bit busy today. Going to go visit my girlfriend in a bit. We can brainstorm here and see where it goes.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

altered

I hate a Facebook and it hates me back, or I'd offer to help. Good luck and all that for now?
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Cramulus

Fucking shit!!!

it was, like, one of the only good ones

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cramulus on April 18, 2019, 08:53:28 PM
Fucking shit!!!

it was, like, one of the only good ones

I feel you Cram. I'm going to miss it sorely. Perhaps we can find some way to make Facebook still a presence, but there will be no replacing it.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: nullified on April 18, 2019, 08:44:08 PM
I hate a Facebook and it hates me back, or I'd offer to help. Good luck and all that for now?

Thanks. Not sure where we go after this, but I like the idea of a new Facebook group to replace it.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

altered

I think you need at least one non-awful Discordian group on FB, so I encourage that.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

The Wizard Joseph

The discordian bird watching Society isn't that bad, but it's kind of specialized. The rest are drek. Especially the libertarian one. Perhaps we could start one that represents pd.com more directly. I don't know how that would work out though. I kind of like having this place somewhat cloistered from the public.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

I'm heading out to visit my girlfriend out in the sticks where I don't get internet access. I'll check back sometime late tomorrow. In the meantime if anyone's got any ideas throw them out there. Later folks!

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Telarus

I'm one of the three spags running the Discordianism facebook page (wtf, how did that happen?). Let me know if that is useful.

I like the idea of a more PD(here) focused community page, too.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

altered

I'm torn. I agree with TWJ a bit: it's a bit fart-huffy you could argue, but having a sudden influx of new community members to the forum would result (I think) in more Nobles than Al Qedics. We have little patience for that and it wouldn't be likely to end well I think.

Conversely, encouraging an exodus from the forum when our community is already so whittled down is pretty much a death sentence. This forum going down would be a crime, we have over a decade of drama, stupidity and sweat-blood-and-balls work invested. But if everyone's over on the FB... why's Faust paying?

I feel like the Facebook group should probably be kept separate for those reasons.

altered

I should clarify: I'm not opposed to bringing in new blood. But I do think that advertising our presence in the open and encouraging randoms on social media to show up is not the right way to do it.

Al Qədic

Quote from: nullified on April 19, 2019, 01:56:56 AM
having a sudden influx of new community members to the forum would result (I think) in more Nobles than Al Qedics
D'aww, I'm one of the good ones? How sweet of ya.  :oops:

But I agree, reviving an FB page could turn out more a curse than a blessing. I'm a bit optimistic in terms of the prospect of new blood to the forum, but you're certainly right in that there will be some amount of assholes and trolls. We'll see what happens as decisions are made, I suppose.
There is no reason to,
Be ashamed of poetry. It,
Is natural. But you should,
Still do it in private,
And wash your hands afterward.

altered

Oh no, reviving the lost group is fine. Making a PD.com group I'm concerned about as a concept.