News:

PD.com: Where we throw rocks at your sacred cows

Main Menu

Id entity

Started by Frontside Back, May 02, 2019, 07:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fujikoma

If it's the social aspect, some twelve-step programs I've attended recommend separating yourself from the people who indulge in the habit... I mean, if you really WANT to quit. If you don't want to then that's also fine from my perspective, though nobody asked for my perspective.

Frontside Back

That's the thing, in here at least the whole thing is so stigmatized that it creates a convenient us and them mentality.

For me it creates a perfect example for cult behavior. People refusing to embrace the metaphor just kinda make it even more fitting.

Don't worry, I never made any sense.
"I want to be the Borg but I want to do it alone."

Fujikoma

No, to me you make perfect sense, I'm not one of "them"... but I can tell you it's gross and it smells like a decomposing ass-monkey. It's a bad habit, and one we indulge in the absence of a better one.

Frontside Back

Every "better" habit offered feels like even more cultish. For example going to a gym: "sacrifice your calories to us and we'll make you look more appetizing to cannibals". No thank you.

There's same sense of sliminess emitting from every "viable" activity directed from the above. It isn't the activities themselves, but the culture surrounding them. The parasitic identity that latches onto you as you get into them.

Only things you could do to stay as a person and not just a walking advertisement for some thing or idea is to do only the stuff "you" want, but "you" are biased from being exposed to all the shit from the day one.

Some days I find things to do that I've never done before and never seen or heard anyone to do. Then for a moment I feel like someone special. But that never sticks, my "identity" becomes afraid of seeming weird to other people, and sheds all the uncanny things as they emerge.
"I want to be the Borg but I want to do it alone."

altered

You seem to have forgotten that Black Sheep Are Still Sheep. You’re using “what they tell you” to define your value system.

Now, there’s nothing wrong with valuing originality, or even mere novelty. But if you value it because You Never Had Anyone Tell You To Do It...

Consider: if we didn’t have Dark Enlightenment dumbasses like Land and Moldbug shitting everywhere and begging people to join their little cults, they aren’t exactly hard beliefs to stumble upon but they are hard ones to entertain for any length of time.

If you only value “useful” originality, which isn’t a trivial modification, nor an unfair one, you have to allow that without having your work sanity checked or tested, it’s impossible for any truly original concept to be sorted into “useful” and “useless” categories.

And unfortunately, if you happen to find a useless one brings you things monkeys CRAVE, you could be the next Jim Jones by the time you realize there’s no actual utility in the idea. Whoops, you fucked up.

You have forgotten that the counterculture is still moving parallel to the mainstream, just OPPOSITE. Whatever you value here at depth, you’re mistaking it for “whatever everyone else ISN’T doing” instead of building your own identity the way you want it to be, from whatever parts appeal to you.

And then, when you consider the options available to them, you end up weighting “dumb, self destructive idea” near equivalent to “dumb but at least harmless and actually probably helpful idea” because one is mainstreamed, has this cult of identity battened to it like a leech, and the other does not.

That’s a classic case of bad priorities. If everyone says “don’t drink magic methyl” and you do it anyway, you will win a Darwin Award. If you weight drinking magic methyl and drinking water close to each other just because water is mainstream and magic methyl is not, you deserve to win a Darwin Award.

Stop paying attention to “everyone else” and start focusing on what you want. And if what you want is to be completely unique and individual, remember that millions have done the opposite of what the mainstream told them to do. Counterculture predates you, probably predates Western civilization. The equivalents of goths and hippies probably lived in Uruk, rolling their eyes at each other and trying to capture the sheeple’s attention.

If you really, really want to be completely unique and original, though... well. Good luck. Not “nothing original under the sun” good luck, but “the majority of original actions will always be actions of unthinkable stupidity, like kissing a running sawblade or something”.

I’m not a conservative individual at all, but it is an unarguable truth that most new and innovative ideas one can ever have will be dismissed by the person to come up with them IMMEDIATELY on account of the actor would no longer be able to hear their friends mocking them for doing such a stupid thing. Source: your intrusive fucking thoughts.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.