News:

PD.com: The culmination of the 'Ted Stevens Plan'

Main Menu

nazis - and actual PEOPLE: WTF happened?

Started by Anna Mae Bollocks, June 14, 2019, 12:07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

There are a lot of arguments for an American influence on fascism generally. Manifest Destiny, as popularised in Germany in pulp cowboy novels did legitimize a popular opinion of Germany requiring lebensraum at the expense of other European empires, and the eugenics movement also informed Nazi "racial hygiene" theories

Q. G. Pennyworth

A /b/tard and enthusiastic racist is running for mayor in my city.

hooplala

Quote from: Bu☆ns on June 28, 2019, 12:39:10 AM

pretty much! someone (a comedian i forget who) said that trump is like not a real rich person. That he is like a homeless person's idea of a rich person--gold everywhere, etc

That was Fran Lebowitz.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Junkenstein

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on June 28, 2019, 09:06:33 PM
A /b/tard and enthusiastic racist is running for mayor in my city.

Oh my. Occasionally, the gods do like to send a gift.

Enjoy!
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Hoopla! on June 28, 2019, 10:08:54 PM
Quote from: Bu☆ns on June 28, 2019, 12:39:10 AM

pretty much! someone (a comedian i forget who) said that trump is like not a real rich person. That he is like a homeless person's idea of a rich person--gold everywhere, etc

That was Fran Lebowitz.
Thanks!

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Cain on June 28, 2019, 10:45:46 AM
There are a lot of arguments for an American influence on fascism generally. Manifest Destiny, as popularised in Germany in pulp cowboy novels did legitimize a popular opinion of Germany requiring lebensraum at the expense of other European empires, and the eugenics movement also informed Nazi "racial hygiene" theories

I haven't considered Manifest Destiny and the cowboy myth before...but yeah that certainly fits right in there, doesn't it.

Frontside Back

Wait... So are Nazis commonly thought of as so much worse than americans because they killed mainly white people?
"I want to be the Borg but I want to do it alone."

Cain

Quote from: Bu☆ns on June 29, 2019, 03:16:05 AM
I haven't considered Manifest Destiny and the cowboy myth before...but yeah that certainly fits right in there, doesn't it.

Hitler himself was a fan of Karl May, one of the better known German writers in the genre.

The Johnny

Quote from: Cain on June 29, 2019, 01:38:07 PM

Hitler himself was a fan of Karl May, one of the better known German writers in the genre.

I recently came up to the narrative that Goebbels apparently was a super-fan of Edward Bernays, one of the Creel agents from the "Committee on Public Infomation".

Which is not saying that he learnt ideology from him, but the methods of propaganda and disinformation were actually american-made.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Johnny

QuoteGoebbels biographers agree that he knew books such as Gustave Le Bon's Psychology of the Masses (1895) and Wilfred Trotter's Instincts of the Herd in Peace and War (1908). He studied in detail the U.S. Committee on Public Information (Creel Committee) for the U.S. propaganda effort in World War I, being impressed by the ensuing theories of Creel operatives Walter Lippman (Public Opinion, 1922) and Edward Bernays (Crystallizing Public Opinion, 1923; Propaganda, 1928).

In his autobiography, Bernays recalls that, in 1933, Hearst's European correspondent Karl von Weigand told him how Goebbels had shown him his propaganda library, the best Weigand had ever seen; and that Goebbels was using Bernay's Crystallizing Public Opinion as a basis for his destructive campaign against the Jews of Germany. Bernays himself was born Austrian, to Jewish parents, and he was a nephew of psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud.

Johnson, Dennis (editor) (2009) "Routledge Handbook of Political Management" p. 314
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Cain

Quote from: The Johnny on June 30, 2019, 03:03:26 AM
Quote from: Cain on June 29, 2019, 01:38:07 PM

I recently came up to the narrative that Goebbels apparently was a super-fan of Edward Bernays, one of the Creel agents from the "Committee on Public Infomation".

Which is not saying that he learnt ideology from him, but the methods of propaganda and disinformation were actually american-made.

He was. Bernays was pretty much a superstar in propaganda circles, so Goebbels naturally tried to emulate his methods.

All of which goes back to my very first post, about fascism being part of the uncomfortable history of America (and most of Europe before WWII) which was excised after the war.

Fujikoma

Americans were the actual "nazis", we came up with all this eugenics bullshit, of course, it didn't take long for actual fucking science to make eugenics its bitch, but you know, people still buy this tired, failed philosophy with astonishing regularity.

EDIT: Eugenics is about on the same level as phrenology, yet, a lot of people believe this fucking garbage, I've been in so many situations where I said to someone, "Excuse me, what did you just say?" It's, fucking rediculous.

sydney

But is DT now the perfect Discordian now that DT makes absolutely no sense and cites babble and Congresscritters don't believe it is what it is? Your papers please to enter der Homeland. Holy howdy

Odibex Grallspice

this notice is telling me it's an old topic: etc., but it's still fresh as crispy bacons, or will be again after the cornovirus:

nowadays anyone who is racist is a Nazi, which was not the case in the 30s becasue we had tons of racist MFers here, and we didn't care about that. the Nazis were active in the 20s and 30s, and Jim Crow, which basically said blacks were inferior to whites, wasn't repealed until the mid 60s. people like to apply this nobility to the past, and in many cases it wasn't there. if America was so huck-a-buck, ho-hum "smash the Nazis" it would've addressed the horrid bullshit within it's borders. it. did. not. Blacks were considered inferior to whites under the eyes of US law decades after Germany was defeated. to address the OP, I don't think that's how it was. sure it should be by mow, but it wasn't then

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Odibex Grallspice on May 04, 2020, 12:05:46 PM
this notice is telling me it's an old topic: etc., but it's still fresh as crispy bacons, or will be again after the cornovirus:

nowadays anyone who is racist is a Nazi, which was not the case in the 30s becasue we had tons of racist MFers here, and we didn't care about that. the Nazis were active in the 20s and 30s, and Jim Crow, which basically said blacks were inferior to whites, wasn't repealed until the mid 60s. people like to apply this nobility to the past, and in many cases it wasn't there. if America was so huck-a-buck, ho-hum "smash the Nazis" it would've addressed the horrid bullshit within it's borders. it. did. not. Blacks were considered inferior to whites under the eyes of US law decades after Germany was defeated. to address the OP, I don't think that's how it was. sure it should be by mow, but it wasn't then

I'm not sure what you're trying to convince me of.
Molon Lube