Testimonial: "This board is everything that's fucking wrong with the internet"

Main Menu

QGP's Antifa Thread

Started by Q. G. Pennyworth, July 05, 2019, 02:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q. G. Pennyworth

Ways to be an Anti-Fascist

Attend Events that Promote Anti-Fascist Causes

Show up for events organized by unions, immigrants, LGBTQ+ activists, women's groups, anti-racism organizers, and others. Listen to the organizers and stay on topic, especially in your signs and if you are questioned by the media. Do your best to not be a burden, including educating yourself ahead of time to the best of your ability and bringing basic supplies to take care of yourself (and your party, if applicable). Make noise, help clean up, don't pick fights.

Requirements:
-  Handle yourself in a crowd
-  Monitor your own mental health and physical well-being
-  Tolerate loud noises

Bonus Points:
-  LOUD NOISES
-  Enthusiasm
-  Exceptional bladder control
-  Sign making skillz
-  Knowing how to pack for the event

Financially Support Anti-Fascist Organizations

Donate to things that upset fascists. There are lots of them and they make it pretty easy to give them money. Try to do a little research first, just to make sure you don't accidentally give to a nazi front.

Requirements:
-  Have money

Create Anti-Fascist Propaganda

I'm pretty liberal with my definition of propaganda, you can use another word if it makes you feel better. Anyway, make memes that make nazis cry. Images, articles, movies, YouTube videos, literally whatever. Joke about fascists and their stupid tiny faces *coughcoughCharlieKirkcough* or whatever. Try not to hit other anti-fascists in the process, especially by belittling their efforts. Remember this is a war on infinite fronts.

If you want, you can specifically assist anti-fascist organizations with their media. Flyer design, video production, social media images, letters to the editor, protest signs and more all need to be made by SOMEBODY, why not you? Make sure you engage with organizers about their messaging BEFORE you make things for them, or you may fuck up their shit.

Requirements:
-  Some flavor of artistic and/or writing skill
-  Appropriate materials/software

Bonus Points:
-  A functioning sense of humor
-  Ability to take criticism
-  Ability to spread propaganda on your own

Flyer Raiding

Passing out flyers by hand or posting them in public spaces.

Requirements:
-  Some goddamn flyers to pass out
-  People skills (if handing out)
-  Tape or thumbtacks (if posting)

Bonus Points:
-  Being able to make your own flyers
-  Printer access
-  Access to spaces with high traffic

Volunteer as a Marshal at Anti-Fascist Events or Events for Anti-Fascist Causes

Marshals assist attendees and generally make sure events move smoothly. Marshals may be called upon to block traffic, distribute supplies such as water, direct marchers, keep an eye out for people in need of assistance (lost children, people having medical issues, etc.), wrangle speakers, direct press to spokespeople, and more.

Requirements:
-  Able-bodied
-  Have good mental health or crazy you can turn to your benefit
-  Follow guidance from organizers

Bonus Points:
-  Excellent bladder control
-  Doesn't afraid of nothing
-  COMMAND VOICE
-  Know how to pack light

Volunteer as a Peacekeeper at Anti-Fascist Events or Events for Anti-Fascist Causes

Peacekeepers are used for internal crowd control, monitoring for counter-protesters, protecting members of marginalized communities from unnecessary exposure to police, and creating physical barriers between protesters and those who would harm them. Some events combine marshal and peacekeeping duties, be sure to ask when you volunteer if that will be the case.

Peacekeepers must not start fights, and should always try to de-escalate any situations that arise.

Requirements:
-  Able-bodied
-  Follow guidance from organizers

Bonus Points:
-  COMMAND VOICE
-  Know how to pack light

Volunteer as a Street Medic at Anti-Fascist Events or Events for Anti-Fascist Causes

DO NOT VOLUNTEER AS A STREET MEDIC UNTIL YOU HAVE HAD SPECIFIC STREET MEDIC TRAINING. PREVIOUS MEDICAL AND/OR FIRST AID EXPERIENCE IS NOT ENOUGH ON ITS OWN.

A street medic may be called upon to handle a wide variety of extreme emergencies in less than ideal conditions. 99 times out of a hundred, only mild issues will arise, the most common of which are dehydration, heat exhaustion or heat stroke, mild mental health events, low blood sugar, scrapes (band aid level), and sore throats from yelling. In the event that Shit Gets Real, street medics may be called upon to assist people exposed to pepper spray or tear gas, major bleeding, breaks, trauma, and mental health crises. For any number of reasons, it may be impossible to get an ambulance or EMTs to the person or persons in crisis, and the street medic must be ready to fill that "until we get to the hospital" void. Being able to direct bystanders to assist in moving an injured person to safety and/or assist with less critically injured people is an important part of the job.

I'm not going to get further into the specifics of either the job or the supplies needed, because I'm dead serious about the getting trained first part.

Requirements:
-  STREET MEDIC TRAINING
-  Appropriate medical supplies
-  Able-bodied

Bonus Points:
-  First Aid and CPR certifications
-  Previous medical experience, especially trauma
-  COMMAND VOICE
-  Know how to pack a ton

Provide Emotional Support for Organizers, Volunteers, and Others

Doing this shit is exhausting, and literally kills people. I'm not being dramatic here, activists have a dramatically lower life expectancy than their peers. You can help by listening, validating, and generally being nice to people doing the work. Anti-fascist activists often feel invisible, like people don't see how important the fight is and why it's worth what they're putting in. They may feel drained after an event, especially if there was a lot of confrontation. They may feel hopeless because there are still nazis running around. Ask about what happened. Tell them you see them. Bake them cookies.

Requirements:
-  Patience
-  Active listening
-  Willingness to be uncomfortable
-  Ways to diffuse your own stress

Creating Consequences for Fascists

Help dox nazis. Call their places of employment and make sure their bosses know what they get up to on the weekends. Let their moms know. Report their posts online. Get their crowdfunding shut down. Deplatform them at every opportunity. Get them kicked off dating apps.

Requirements:
-  Internet access
-  Time to independently verify dox
-  Vindictive streak

Bonus Points
-  Experience doxxing
-  Significant social media presence

Punch a Nazi

Or, you know, throw milkshakes or whatever. I'm not gonna tell you what to do.

Requirements:
-  Willingness to deal with the consequences

The Johnny

There doesnt seem to be AntiFa activity in Mexico, but, keep up the good fight!

:mittens:

If you need to vent you can PM me, since Im a mental health professional.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Nephew Twiddleton

I'm probably going to revisit this thread a few times to assess what I can do
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on July 05, 2019, 02:18:30 PM

Show up for events organized by unions, immigrants, LGBTQ+ activists, women's groups, anti-racism organizers, and others. Listen to the organizers and stay on topic, especially in your signs

SO MUCH THIS.

In 2003 - 2005, you'd show up to an antiwar rally, and half the signs would be about PETA.  It was pathetic.
Molon Lube

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 08, 2019, 04:52:15 AM

Show up for events organized by unions, immigrants, LGBTQ+ activists, women's groups, anti-racism organizers, and others. Listen to the organizers and stay on topic, especially in your signs

SO MUCH THIS.

In 2003 - 2005, you'd show up to an antiwar rally, and half the signs would be about PETA.  It was pathetic.

That's what turned me off about Occupy Boston. Once you see a save the whales sign at an anticapitalist rally in the 21st century you're like, ok, this is a shitshow.

The Johnny

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on July 08, 2019, 05:23:45 AM

SO MUCH THIS.

That's what turned me off about Occupy Boston. Once you see a save the whales sign at an anticapitalist rally in the 21st century you're like, ok, this is a shitshow.

Well, there's a certain margin thats acceptable and maybe that example is bad. Like of all the things one can protest about that dont get in the way or distract from each other is ecologism and anti-capitalism.

But besides that ultra specific example, I agree in general.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Johnny on July 08, 2019, 07:16:10 AM

SO MUCH THIS.

Well, there's a certain margin thats acceptable and maybe that example is bad. Like of all the things one can protest about that dont get in the way or distract from each other is ecologism and anti-capitalism.

It's not staying on point, and was the most memorable example. Even for environmentalism, it's way too specific. He could well have made a sign connecting capitalism with environmental degradation and that would at least have been related to the point. The general assemblies were trying to take position on too many issues, there were other signs up that didn't have anything to do with economic reform

TastyCle

Ok, if I'm an irritating prick who'd probably do the movement more harm than good, is it better if I join the nazis?
Very painful to get rid of, why even bother.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: TastyCle on July 08, 2019, 01:50:49 PM
Ok, if I'm an irritating prick who'd probably do the movement more harm than good, is it better if I join the nazis?

No, it's better if you spend your time annoying the shit out of the nazis. Call them a bunch of cousin fuckers and ask if their helmets keep out the messages from the government.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on July 08, 2019, 03:17:53 PM

No, it's better if you spend your time annoying the shit out of the nazis. Call them a bunch of cousin fuckers and ask if their helmets keep out the messages from the government.

:lulz:

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on July 08, 2019, 01:24:23 PM
Quote from: The Johnny on July 08, 2019, 07:16:10 AM

SO MUCH THIS.

It's not staying on point, and was the most memorable example. Even for environmentalism, it's way too specific. He could well have made a sign connecting capitalism with environmental degradation and that would at least have been related to the point. The general assemblies were trying to take position on too many issues, there were other signs up that didn't have anything to do with economic reform

The trans bloc at Occupy did a good job of making the case that trans rights include economic justice, that trans folks are disproportionately affected by homelessness and job discrimination and have some of worst rates for downward economic mobility of any group.The feminist bloc stumbled on this point, and talked more about the process of protesting than actually protesting.

We don't show up fully formed activists. We all stumble, even when we're smart and talented and passionate.

TastyCle

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on July 08, 2019, 03:17:53 PM

On my way to the hostile territory. Wish that I get hit by a hydrogen bomb while over there!
Very painful to get rid of, why even bother.