A math equation that predicts the end of humanity

Started by Brother Mythos, July 05, 2019, 06:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fujikoma

My girlfriend loves statistics, she's good at it, unlike you, or maybe not. Variables muffugah.

EDIT: This post was primarily intended to upset Roger while contributing to the conversation. That said, your idea of "voodoo" is like, actually comprehensible to some.

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 29, 2019, 02:02:06 PM
Quote from: ᚼ on October 27, 2019, 10:42:00 PM
Speaking as a mathematician, Statistics is Voodoo Mathematics.

Balls.   It's computation of probabilities. 

It's not stat's fault if you choose to read things into the data that aren't there.

Uh, no. Probabilities is probabilities, and statistics is statistics.

Statisticians don't even consider themselves mathematicians; that's why you see "School of Mathematics and Statistics" instead of "Department of Mathematics" at colleges.

Now the kicker ... Did you ever hear of re-sampling? Example: You have five people who are each assigned five projects to rate, out of 20 possible projects. Re-sampling "lets" you figure out how they would have rated projects which they didn't rate, based on the projects they did rate, and the projects that other people rated. This is exactly "reading things into the data that aren't there."

I even heard one statistician call re-sampling something akin to voodoo mathematics.
"Which one of you is man enough to fill in for Ma?" — from "The Sons of Katie Elder"

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on October 29, 2019, 12:57:38 PM
:kingmeh:

If you were an actual mathematician, I would think you might have the ability and inclination to post something relevant to this thread.

I'm betting you're a numerologist, at best.

Check out my reply to Doktor Howl. (And BTW, I got a doctorate in Mathematics and Computer Science.)
"Which one of you is man enough to fill in for Ma?" — from "The Sons of Katie Elder"

LMNO

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: ᚼ on October 30, 2019, 06:21:00 AM

If you were an actual mathematician, I would think you might have the ability and inclination to post something relevant to this thread.

Check out my reply to Doktor Howl. (And BTW, I got a doctorate in Mathematics and Computer Science.)
Ooh, I got a nibble.

Claiming you have a doctorate means nothing (welcome to the internet).  And even if you do have one, I've been around the block enough times to recognize that it's quite possible for someone to hold a PhD and still be a blithering idiot in most respects.

For example, here you are, with your LOL OMG 23, and your low effort shitposting, while your above reply to Doktor Howl suggests that you lack even a freshman-level understanding of statistics.

(Some of us actually use freshman-level statistics in our day job.  For example, linear regression can be used to perform timing estimation of an OFDM signal in the presence of noise.  It's good for other things, too, as long as you recognize its limitations.  Not voodoo.)
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Fujikoma on October 30, 2019, 03:55:23 AM
My girlfriend loves statistics, she's good at it, unlike you, or maybe not. Variables muffugah.

EDIT: This post was primarily intended to upset Roger while contributing to the conversation. That said, your idea of "voodoo" is like, actually comprehensible to some.

Okay, then. 

I'll be by to upset you later.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on October 30, 2019, 01:20:48 PM

Ooh, I got a nibble.

Claiming you have a doctorate means nothing (welcome to the internet).  And even if you do have one, I've been around the block enough times to recognize that it's quite possible for someone to hold a PhD and still be a blithering idiot in most respects.

For example, here you are, with your LOL OMG 23, and your low effort shitposting, while your above reply to Doktor Howl suggests that you lack even a freshman-level understanding of statistics.

(Some of us actually use freshman-level statistics in our day job.  For example, linear regression can be used to perform timing estimation of an OFDM signal in the presence of noise.  It's good for other things, too, as long as you recognize its limitations.  Not voodoo.)

I used standard deviation for determining whether people are cheating on water samples.  I use stat now to determine carbon molding failure modes.

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

And then, without warning, Poptard.
Molon Lube

Ooh, I got a nibble.

I know about blithering idiots in the Internet. (I locked horns with Archimedes Plutonium for about a year.)

In fact, I'm replying to a post by one.

Oh, so you're using my posts in different contexts to try to insult me here, then. And you forgot to look up my posts to the Visual Pinball forum, and half of my Usenet posts. Non sequitur! (Besides, I figured that's the type of posts that a Discordian forum would be like; I didn't expect stick-up-your-ass-type posts.)

Linear regression is a minimization problem, which belongs to mathematics proper. (I teach it in my linear algebra classes, by the way, which would put it there.) Nothing random about that.

And as for "not voodoo" ... There are TWO definitions of standard deviation (one with N in the denominator, and one with N-1 in the denominator). If not voodoo, it certainly suggests the old joke about an interviewer and a shady guy: "How much is 2+2?" "How much do you want it to be?"

The Johnny

Quote from: ᚼ on October 31, 2019, 05:00:32 AM

Ooh, I got a nibble.

I know about blithering idiots in the Internet. (I locked horns with Archimedes Plutonium for about a year.)

Oh, so you're using my posts in different contexts to try to insult me here, then. And you forgot to look up my posts to the Visual Pinball forum, and half of my Usenet posts. Non sequitur! (Besides, I figured that's the type of posts that a Discordian forum would be like; I didn't expect stick-up-your-ass-type posts.)

Linear regression is a minimization problem, which belongs to mathematics proper. (I teach it in my linear algebra classes, by the way, which would put it there.) Nothing random about that.

And as for "not voodoo" ... There are TWO definitions of standard deviation (one with N in the denominator, and one with N-1 in the denominator). If not voodoo, it certainly suggests the old joke about an interviewer and a shady guy: "How much is 2+2?" "How much do you want it to be?"

https://giphy.com/gifs/BhonfJKJtq5Dq/fullscreen
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: ᚼ on October 31, 2019, 05:00:32 AM

Never heard of him.  But it doesn't matter; my opinion of you is based on your posts here, not on claims of past glory. (Not that arguing with a rando on the internet for a year is something I would brag about).

Oh, yeah?  Well that makes three of us.

Oh, so you're using my posts in different contexts to try to insult me here, then.
I'm estimating who you are from readily available information.  If you think the estimate is unfair, post something interesting, funny, or clever, and stop waving around credentials that are twenty years out-of-date.

(Besides, I figured that's the type of posts that a Discordian forum would be like; I didn't expect stick-up-your-ass-type posts.)
You joined a forum pertaining to a chaos goddess and it wasn't what you expected? :-)

I'll add "too lazy and/or oblivious to spend ten minutes reading the stickied threads before joining a forum" to my model of you.

Linear regression is a minimization problem, which belongs to mathematics proper.
Are you claiming that a method for modelling a random process isn't statistics?  Come on, pull the other one.

(I teach it in my linear algebra classes, by the way, which would put it there.)
My god, it's almost like there might be overlap between different disciplines!  Could it be possible that linear regression belongs to both statistics and linear algebra?  Amazing! :roll:
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Doktor Howl

This is going to end in baboonery.  * dude hasn't shown enough inflamed ass yet, he's just warming up.
Molon Lube

altered

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 31, 2019, 03:02:58 PM
This is going to end in baboonery.  * dude hasn't shown enough inflamed ass yet, he's just warming up.

You know it's a good day when you can expect MORE inflamed ass to show up by the end of it. I'm just sad I won't get to watch it live, I have work and shit.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: nullified on October 31, 2019, 03:13:02 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 31, 2019, 03:02:58 PM

You know it's a good day when you can expect MORE inflamed ass to show up by the end of it. I'm just sad I won't get to watch it live, I have work and shit.

Baboonery follows a formula.  It's more or less on rails.
Molon Lube