News:

Today, for a brief second, I thought of a life without Roger. It was much like my current life, except that this forum was a bit nicer.

Main Menu

If aliens call, what should we do? Scientists want your opinion.

Started by Brother Mythos, July 07, 2019, 05:12:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: nullified on July 12, 2019, 07:51:16 PM
God Emperor is definitely the high point. Leto II is a horrible/wonderful character, and it's the most convincing writing about precognition in the series. Full agreement with you there.

I'll agree, but even God Emperor had parts that were hard to get through
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

I really enjoyed the prequels though. It was fun to see the origin of the Bene Gesserit, Mentats, and Navigators, as well as the Butlerian Jihad

altered

Mm, fair. I'd say it had the highest high points, at least. When God Emperor was on, it was rock solid through and through. The scene with the advisor and the ghola in the catacombs remains lodged in my mind's eye, I doubt I'll ever forget it.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: nullified on July 12, 2019, 07:56:31 PM
Mm, fair. I'd say it had the highest high points, at least. When God Emperor was on, it was rock solid through and through. The scene with the advisor and the ghola in the catacombs remains lodged in my mind's eye, I doubt I'll ever forget it.

It was a solid novel, but parts of it were definitely... It was like a solid TNG episode in writing but also pacing

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on July 12, 2019, 07:52:21 PM
Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on July 12, 2019, 07:44:02 PM
The Dune series goes downhill pretty quickly after God Emperor, IMO.

I mean, it goes Downhill after Dune. Children was pretty good because it was Dune-like

It goes downhill after the copyright notice in Dune.

It is the second worst science fiction ever written, and Frank Herbert's grave should be desecrated.
Molon Lube

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 13, 2019, 05:16:45 AM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on July 12, 2019, 07:52:21 PM
Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on July 12, 2019, 07:44:02 PM
The Dune series goes downhill pretty quickly after God Emperor, IMO.

I mean, it goes Downhill after Dune. Children was pretty good because it was Dune-like

It goes downhill after the copyright notice in Dune.

It is the second worst science fiction ever written, and Frank Herbert's grave should be desecrated.

:lulz:

Cain

We shouldn't call them back, but we should use caller ID to see if a phone number for Rachel, Nevada, comes up.

altered

Explanation? I feel like I should know what you mean but I do not.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Cain

Rachel, Nevada is the closest town to Area 51. Probably.

altered

Won't happen, so don't worry about it.

After Mr. Trump became President, 1/3 of the Galactic Council wanted to nuke Earth to put us out of our misery, another 1/3 just wanted to cancel their field trips here (with the motto, "Beam us up, EkUrgxDds, there's no intelligent life down here."), and the rest were asleep. So if you run across a Grey in the next few years, it's a dwarf in a costume.
"Which one of you is man enough to fill in for Ma?" — from "The Sons of Katie Elder"