News:

Christians *have* to sin.
If they don't, it's like Christ died for nothing.

Main Menu

DRUGS 2: REVENGE OF THE DRUGS. PS: DRUGS

Started by tyrannosaurus vex, July 09, 2019, 05:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrannosaurus vex

Despite my weirdly intense desire to believe in woo, metaphysics, government conspiracies, and to a much lesser extent UFOs, I am unable to do so with one exception: drugs. Specifically entheogens used by tons of indigenous cultures all over the world since forever to expand consciousness. My jury is still out on whether or not they actually do expand consciousness in any practical way, but given recent studies linking psychedelic hallucinogens like psilocybin to measurable improvement in chronic depression and suchlike, it seems reasonable to at least entertain the possibility that such substances and the experiences they induce have the potential to assist constructively in a person's serious attempts to rewire their personal grid.

So where my conspiracy thinking comes in is in the fact that these are mostly all Schedule I substances in the US and treated like heroin or something despite this science and in most cases despite the importance of these substances to cultural practices that far predate apple pie. Is it possible that there are people in charge of things somewhere who are genuinely aware of the effects these drugs have on consciousness and intentionally suppress and malign them in order to prevent people from waking up to a higher (by which I mean more compassionate and self-actualized) level of consciousness? Ancient Astronaut theorists say YES.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Al Qədic

I dunno man. I literally listened to my extremely hippie godmother talk to my garden variety hippie mother today about how puking your empty stomach out on ayahuasca will "expel all the bad thoughts and experiences out of you, getting rid of all those blockages"

I love the idea of having the freedom to shove whatever fermented foodstuff down your gullet that you choose, but methinks I'll be happy to not expand my mind regardless of what suits may or may not be denying me that sweet trippy plant.
There is no reason to,
Be ashamed of poetry. It,
Is natural. But you should,
Still do it in private,
And wash your hands afterward.

The Johnny

The rationale for banning certain drugs appears to be economical in nature: sure you can ruin your liver with alcohol on the long run, or feel like shit with a hangover the next day, but you CAN go to work the next day, and its effects are predictable and controllable... but is marijuana incompatible with working to a certain extent? doesnt it promote this type of satisfaction that quenches drives and ambitions? not sure if marijuana does this, but ive heard from users that their only drive is to shoot up again... then psychedelics are a problem for work, since their effects on the very short term imply a practical disabling of a person for an undeterminate number of hours, i guess one could do it on a friday or even saturday and be fine by monday, but you cant use that on a wendsday like you could alcohol... also, psychedelics tend to generate a psychiatric-medical burden on the system.

So is the whole spectrum of reasons purely economic? Id argue that yes... but what i will say is that, even if your mileage may vary (by a looot), drugs can (not any and all of them, mind you) help you attune with the unconcious parts of your mind... literally by definition, the usage of drugs is an alteration of consciousness and a temporary weakening of psychic defense mechanisms which are held in place by consciousness.

The problem is that its a flawed conflation... coming in contact with your unconscious thru drugs =/= useful insight... otherwise every single psychotherapist in the world would by default be utilizing drugs in their treatments.

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Pergamos

Quote from: Al Qədic on July 09, 2019, 06:19:17 AM
I dunno man. I literally listened to my extremely hippie godmother talk to my garden variety hippie mother today about how puking your empty stomach out on ayahuasca will "expel all the bad thoughts and experiences out of you, getting rid of all those blockages"

I love the idea of having the freedom to shove whatever fermented foodstuff down your gullet that you choose, but methinks I'll be happy to not expand my mind regardless of what suits may or may not be denying me that sweet trippy plant.

That is what puking on Ayahuasca is traditionally said to do.  And it matches my experience. 

Al Qədic

Quote from: Pergamos on July 09, 2019, 06:46:03 AM
Quote from: Al Qədic on July 09, 2019, 06:19:17 AM

That is what puking on Ayahuasca is traditionally said to do.  And it matches my experience. 
I've no experiences in this realm of life, but the fact that puking while drunk on booze can also bring about euphoria tells me that, at least in some respects, the substance isn't necessarily important. Of course, there's also the vivid hallucination bit of ayahuasca to contend with, iirc, but with that in mind...it still don't sound amazing in my white-ass virgin eyes.

To go back on topic; even if there are forces demonizing drugs, people will still find ways to get them one way or another.

On another note, I've been meaning to post this somewhere here since it got uploaded. Tis neat. https://youtu.be/Bjl2FlmQpqk
There is no reason to,
Still do it in private,

LMNO

I dunno.  I think Occams' Razor suggests there are smaller, more petty, and more basic motivations all pulling in different directions.

Xenophobia and racism played a part, since I think most of the non-alcoholic drugs weren't native to the "Western World" (I read somewhere that there are something like 120 psychoactive plants in the world, with only about 15 found naturally in Europe... and those are the nastier ones, like Belladonna and Ergot).  So you get the introduction of the idea of "exotic, foreign drugs used by degenerate brown people".  This carried over in the Americas, as you can see with the Jazz/Weed panic, and the Asian Opium dens.

There's also Conformity to Social Norms, so a person being drunk is "normal", but a person being stoned, or tripping, falls outside of typical expected behavior, leading to the conclusion something is "wrong" and that person is "anti-social".

Finally (not really finally, I just want to stop typing), there's financial motives, as shown by the oft-used story of how weed became criminalized in part due to paper manufacturers wanting to keep hemp products out of the market.

So it seems there's just a lot of shitty people who think shitty thoughts, and when you get enough of them together, it can start looking like conspiracy.

But really, it's just shitty.

also,

:deadthread:

Al Qədic

Quote from: LMNO on July 09, 2019, 01:17:17 PM
So you get the introduction of the idea of "exotic, foreign drugs used by degenerate brown people".  This carried over in the Americas, as you can see with the Jazz/Weed panic, and the Asian Opium dens.
Reminds me of the Orientalist period of 1800s French art; buncha well-off white people get settled down in their fancy new cities now that la revolucion (all handfuls of them) has calmed down, realize that there's shiny stuff and exotic people in the desert next door, go touristing about the place, and come home with food, stories of exotic drug use, and the occasional plentiful amount of precious tiling and other masonry that was "totally just lying around unappreciated by the locals."

Now the Nude is in vogue again (Manet had soiled it by painting a woman with some actual character and agency, how dare he), the brown courtesans are getting portraits with their torsos twisted into taffy, and some artists even paint the common folk in that "they're just like us" sort of way. Surprisingly, they actually do that more effectively to the brown people than to their own citizens; painting suddenly shifting away from nobility a century prior meant a lot of derpy seafood server girl pieces and the like got made...flattering.
There is no reason to,
Still do it in private,

LMNO

I mean, Gauguin is an amazing painter, but holy shit, his subject matter did not age well.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on July 09, 2019, 05:57:41 AM
Despite my weirdly intense desire to believe in woo, metaphysics, government conspiracies, and to a much lesser extent UFOs, I am unable to do so with one exception: drugs. Specifically entheogens used by tons of indigenous cultures all over the world since forever to expand consciousness. My jury is still out on whether or not they actually do expand consciousness in any practical way, but given recent studies linking psychedelic hallucinogens like psilocybin to measurable improvement in chronic depression and suchlike, it seems reasonable to at least entertain the possibility that such substances and the experiences they induce have the potential to assist constructively in a person's serious attempts to rewire their personal grid.

So where my conspiracy thinking comes in is in the fact that these are mostly all Schedule I substances in the US and treated like heroin or something despite this science and in most cases despite the importance of these substances to cultural practices that far predate apple pie. Is it possible that there are people in charge of things somewhere who are genuinely aware of the effects these drugs have on consciousness and intentionally suppress and malign them in order to prevent people from waking up to a higher (by which I mean more compassionate and self-actualized) level of consciousness? Ancient Astronaut theorists say YES.

The research certainly exists.
Personal experience hails the ride. In spades.
And besides, a lot of the people who have watched this say this lady is cute AF when she's tripping balls.
It's certainly a better beauty enhancement than that shit the Kardashians do to themselves.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

altered

When I took LSD it did nothing more but make me a functional human for a couple days. No worrying beyond normal worrying. No bullshit brain damage. Just living life. Actually made more progress in that couple days than I did in the rest of my life working through my brain shit. So... yeah.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: nullified on July 12, 2019, 01:02:30 AM
When I took LSD it did nothing more but make me a functional human for a couple days. No worrying beyond normal worrying. No bullshit brain damage. Just living life. Actually made more progress in that couple days than I did in the rest of my life working through my brain shit. So... yeah.

it be like that. i mean, at low doses, anyway. higher doses are also like that but you can meet God.

Frontside Back

Acid is just like meth but it takes 3000 more years to notice the adverse effects
"I want to be the Borg but I want to do it alone."

altered

Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on July 12, 2019, 04:23:33 PM
Quote from: nullified on July 12, 2019, 01:02:30 AM

it be like that. i mean, at low doses, anyway. higher doses are also like that but you can meet God.

I obviously didn't have a good way to test the potency, but I had a third of a decent sized strip. Three people sharing. I'm not sure if it was weak, if it was just a really subtle trip, or if I'm basically immune to a proper trip. I'd actually buy that last one, I get what people consider the mild effects of a trip (light tracers, etc) on a regular day.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

tyrannosaurus vex

it won't work properly if you're taking any SSRIs, that is all I know.

altered

Wasn't on meds at the time, totally homeless, no support network. I guess unless you count ibuprofen, had a toothache from hell, but I doubt NSAIDs would affect it.