News:

"Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed." - Jesus

Main Menu

Pelosi vs AOC feud

Started by Norman, July 12, 2019, 01:26:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norman

ACA was a center-left policy.

The Johnny

I've heard commented that AOC has some really anti-war stuff going on, and thats of the things that totally disqualifies you from presidential leadership... you can succeed as a major or governor... but i think shes peaked, shes not even gonna get to be a senator, and much less president.

Shes too soft and weak, shell either never make it nor be allowed to.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Norman on July 14, 2019, 12:22:09 PM

What's left wing about forcing people to buy insurance from private companies?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Don Coyote on July 13, 2019, 11:33:34 PM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on July 13, 2019, 08:42:31 AM
Even if I found the need to have a gun, I wouldn't be enthusiastic about it. I'd be bummed out that I lived in a shitty society that necessitated having a gun.

Big fucking mood

Also why the fuck are yall entertaining drugs are bad mkay shitty suit mcshutup and go back to your shitty maine with your shit ass smaller than my desert podunk hometown capital?

:lulz:

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Johnny on July 14, 2019, 02:38:51 PM

I've heard commented that AOC has some really anti-war stuff going on, and thats of the things that totally disqualifies you from presidential leadership... you can succeed as a major or governor... but i think shes peaked, shes not even gonna get to be a senator, and much less president.

Who said anything about her running for president?

Don Coyote

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on July 14, 2019, 06:25:35 PM

It's not the FREE MARKETtm so it has to be a leftist plot to control people. Or something.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on July 14, 2019, 06:27:29 PM
Quote from: Don Coyote on July 13, 2019, 11:33:34 PM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on July 13, 2019, 08:42:31 AM
Even if I found the need to have a gun, I wouldn't be enthusiastic about it. I'd be bummed out that I lived in a shitty society that necessitated having a gun.

Big fucking mood

Also why the fuck are yall entertaining drugs are bad mkay shitty suit mcshutup and go back to your shitty maine with your shit ass smaller than my desert podunk hometown capital?

:lulz:

Not even joking.
Augusta, Maine Estimated pop in 2017 18,594
Ridgecrest, California Estimated pop in 2017 28,880
Ridgecrest ONE public high school and TWO public middle schools.
So Normy Wormy can just keep all his shit in his shitty state and beat off to jackbooting folks for recreational drugs.

Norman

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on July 14, 2019, 06:25:35 PM

null & void said center-left doesn't pass policy, I was pointing out just one example of how that's wrong

The Johnny

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on July 14, 2019, 06:32:58 PM

Who said anything about her running for president?

None in this thread tbh, and besides shes like 8 years underage for the position?

It was more a comment on "hardline politicians", and how shes not, she seems too reasonable to be taken seriously in the given political climate.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Pergamos

Quote from: Norman on July 13, 2019, 10:35:31 PM
Quote from: Pergamos on July 13, 2019, 09:06:58 PM
Quote from: Norman on July 12, 2019, 08:31:15 PM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on July 12, 2019, 07:19:48 PM
Quote from: Norman on July 12, 2019, 05:17:26 PM
At the same time, Congress is a numbers game. Which I think, like her or don't like her, is ultimately where Pelosi is coming from.  The Dems in the House can do shit if they are in the minority. With a majority, they may not be able to do what the liberal wing of the party wants done, but they can do more than zero. 

I think that is where the rub is.  Pelosi and establishment want to move the ball to see if they can smash their way to a first down, AOC et al want to get a touch down on first possession. 

Of course the reality is with an R Senate and White House, it's not like there's too much the D's can accomplish, but whatever possibilities there might be, it certainly isn't going to be with a red-meat liberal initiative.

So in other words, we have to accept a moderate centrist agenda to achieve the agenda we need a buck short and a day late.

Yes, because like it or not, the American electorate is, at best, center-left.  AOC will get re-elected in her District all day long.  Meanwhile, in Maine's northern district, we have center-Left Jared Golden.  Now, he's not a Pelosi fan, he voted against her speakership in fact, but overall, much more moderate than AOC.  You will never, get someone like AOC elected in that district.  Golden won his election by miniscule numbers, he was lucky.  It's a center-right district. 

That's what you have to contend with.  To have more progressive/liberals, you have to have massive changes in the electorates in those regions, or catch lightning in a bottle and nominate someone who can win over right-leaning districts with personality to distract from their policy positions.  You might get lucky and do that in a few districts, but not on a scale to significantly tip the House to the progressive left. 

So given that reality, those numbers, is it best to get something or nothing?  That's where Pelosi is coming from.  And she's right.  Because the math is the math.

It's important to look at the popularity of policy in places like that.  A lot of what AOC supports that Pelosi doesn't is directly beneficial to the working class and a lot of those center right, or even full right wing, working class voters support them.  A progressive has a better chance than a centrist in plenty of conservative districts.

:eek: Are you serious with that?  You're talking about tea-party conservatives right there the Fox News money demo. Hell, no way, they are going to support left wing policies, not from a left wing politician.  I mean, shit, I think they are probably nutzo enough to support left wing policies if by some miracle they were being touted by Ted Cruz or one of their own. But fuck no, are they going to line up behind a left wing candidate.

If the opponent is an establishment republican who has been screwing them and the left wing candidate speaks their language, yes they will.  You think they will vote for a Centrist Democrat?  You know that isn't going to happen.

Pergamos

She IS a senator.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Pergamos on July 15, 2019, 05:10:04 AM

She IS a senator.

She's in the House, not the Senate. So while she is a Congressthing, she's not a Senator.

Pergamos

Norman

Quote from: Pergamos on July 15, 2019, 05:06:24 AM
Quote from: Norman on July 13, 2019, 10:35:31 PM
Quote from: Pergamos on July 13, 2019, 09:06:58 PM
Quote from: Norman on July 12, 2019, 08:31:15 PM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on July 12, 2019, 07:19:48 PM
Quote from: Norman on July 12, 2019, 05:17:26 PM
At the same time, Congress is a numbers game. Which I think, like her or don't like her, is ultimately where Pelosi is coming from.  The Dems in the House can do shit if they are in the minority. With a majority, they may not be able to do what the liberal wing of the party wants done, but they can do more than zero. 

I think that is where the rub is.  Pelosi and establishment want to move the ball to see if they can smash their way to a first down, AOC et al want to get a touch down on first possession. 

Of course the reality is with an R Senate and White House, it's not like there's too much the D's can accomplish, but whatever possibilities there might be, it certainly isn't going to be with a red-meat liberal initiative.

So in other words, we have to accept a moderate centrist agenda to achieve the agenda we need a buck short and a day late.

Yes, because like it or not, the American electorate is, at best, center-left.  AOC will get re-elected in her District all day long.  Meanwhile, in Maine's northern district, we have center-Left Jared Golden.  Now, he's not a Pelosi fan, he voted against her speakership in fact, but overall, much more moderate than AOC.  You will never, get someone like AOC elected in that district.  Golden won his election by miniscule numbers, he was lucky.  It's a center-right district. 

That's what you have to contend with.  To have more progressive/liberals, you have to have massive changes in the electorates in those regions, or catch lightning in a bottle and nominate someone who can win over right-leaning districts with personality to distract from their policy positions.  You might get lucky and do that in a few districts, but not on a scale to significantly tip the House to the progressive left. 

So given that reality, those numbers, is it best to get something or nothing?  That's where Pelosi is coming from.  And she's right.  Because the math is the math.

It's important to look at the popularity of policy in places like that.  A lot of what AOC supports that Pelosi doesn't is directly beneficial to the working class and a lot of those center right, or even full right wing, working class voters support them.  A progressive has a better chance than a centrist in plenty of conservative districts.

:eek: Are you serious with that?  You're talking about tea-party conservatives right there the Fox News money demo. Hell, no way, they are going to support left wing policies, not from a left wing politician.  I mean, shit, I think they are probably nutzo enough to support left wing policies if by some miracle they were being touted by Ted Cruz or one of their own. But fuck no, are they going to line up behind a left wing candidate.

If the opponent is an establishment republican who has been screwing them and the left wing candidate speaks their language, yes they will.  You think they will vote for a Centrist Democrat?  You know that isn't going to happen.

Where were you in 2018? It did happen.  That's how the Dems won the House. Most of the seats they flipped they flipped with centrist Democrats.

LMNO

Quote from: Norman on July 14, 2019, 03:22:54 AM
No, not at all. I'm saying put aside litmus tests, get the orange buffoon out of office. If he gets another 4 years, shit's gonna get worse.

You're acting like Trump is the cause, and not the symptom.

If, somehow, a Centrist Dem boots Trump, you think the GOP is gonna say, "ok, your turn"?

No, they'll go on a vicious attack, and the Centrist will compromise, which is another way of saying, "well, I guess some genocide is all right."

A Leftist president will fight like hell and give it right back to them.