News:

You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for PD.com.

Main Menu

The Revolution Is Not In Need Of Martyrs At This Time

Started by Q. G. Pennyworth, October 12, 2019, 06:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q. G. Pennyworth

This letter is to inform you that The Revolution is not in need of any martyrs at this time. We are all set on names for hashtags, on candlelit vigils, on impassioned pleas from mourning relatives. The blood shed on the streets already is quite enough for a lifetime of fighting, thank you.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Those among you who are feeling too sharply the weight of the world, who are carrying your own personal fights and disappointments, who have been quietly looking for a way to unburden yourself without abandoning your post, know that you are heard. Unfortunately a death on the front line is no longer a valuable contribution to the cause. You will need to find your peace in other ways. 

There simply is no need for another man on fire, another woman shot down in her prime, another body found in suspicious circumstances. There are no openings for dead heroes at this time. We are, in fact, overstaffed in that regard.

You need to get your shit together. We need you fit for the fight. We need your boots on the ground and your voice on the megaphone. We need your labor, your time, your experience. Take a break if you have to. Seek out comfort where you can find it and comfort others as you are able. We need all of you. Alive.

Again, The Revolution is not in need of martyrs at this time.
Thank you.

The Johnny

I'm not much of a poet, but, to me martyrdom is for those that have nothing left to live for, and usually are looking for some benefits in some variant of afterlife.

Martyrdom also can be an elaborate rationalization to justify a suicide... and it makes me think of that awful "An Hero" meme, but which has some interesting things around it... the meme came about from a mispelling in a memorial page, calling the suicidee "an hero", idealizing his decision to kill himself and thinking it was "brave". And personally, i dont think adding qualifiers to suicide, be it "weak" or "brave" is appropriate, it just is.

Tell your friends to not be "an hero" for a cause, they're more useful alive.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Q. G. Pennyworth