The Blackest Friday: 2019 holiday season / pre-election gun buying deals!!!

Started by Bruno, November 07, 2019, 10:03:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

altered

In fact, one of the early military guns of serious tactical note wasn't even a firearm.

It was a fucking air gun. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_air_rifle
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: nullified on November 08, 2019, 01:20:38 AM
In fact, one of the early military guns of serious tactical note wasn't even a firearm.

It was a fucking air gun. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_air_rifle

It was also genius.  The ability to fire and reload in a prone position changed warfare forever, leaving aside the removal of dense clouds of smoke from gun powder.  If this weapon had been developed further, to remove the problems inherent with the poor metallurgy of the time, the entire 19th century would have worked out very differently.
Molon Lube

Bruno

Um, wtf?  Just to put you guises minds at rest, I am at work eating my lunch and not on a shooting spree. You can relax.

Posted from my fully-semi Glock Uzi using RAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAPATALK!!!
Formerly something else...

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Bruno on November 08, 2019, 02:12:21 AM
Um, wtf?  Just to put you guises minds at rest, I am at work eating my lunch and not on a shooting spree. You can relax.

Posted from my fully-semi Glock Uzi using RAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAPATALK!!!

I was hoping that was the case.
Molon Lube

Fujikoma

9mm is usually what I reccomend to people who've not shot a gun before. Seriously you can blaze off some near rapid fire 9mm.

It doesn't pierce body armor but like it will stop a person dead in their tracks. If someone is wearing body armor then you're in a whole other world of trouble.

Fujikoma

It also feels pretty shitty to get shot multiple times, so you can go ahead and eat like, 20 bullets, you won't feel good after.

Fujikoma

I just threw up like, 20 times, that, sucked. Whoever is pulling the black magic lever please stop, consider me, it sucks. Ok carry on, just don't hurt me so much.

Bruno

Quote from: Fujikoma on November 08, 2019, 07:33:22 AM
9mm is usually what I reccomend to people who've not shot a gun before. Seriously you can blaze off some near rapid fire 9mm.

It doesn't pierce body armor but like it will stop a person dead in their tracks. If someone is wearing body armor then you're in a whole other world of trouble.

I got a 9mm based on some chart I saw that gave percentages of attacks stopped by the first shot of different calibers. 9mm was 80% as good as the best one on the chart, and it's about the second cheapest round after 22lr, which is good for, you know, stack'n 'm deap. I have probably 1400 rounds or so, not proper defense rounds, tho. Round nose practice rounds mostly. I think I do have like one box of defense rounds.

It's a pretty small gun, though. For someone like me who just got into shooting in the last couple of years, it's still a little unnerving having explosions going off in my hands with relatively little between me and it.

I bought my first gun about a year and a half ago. It was a Ruger 10/22, and I bought it at a gun store here in town. Shortly after, I got an M&P Shield 9mm and an M&P ar-15 which I bought online and picked up at a pawn shop in town. I think I got all three in 2018.

This year, I've bought 2 Palmetto State Armory ar-15 kits when they had a special around Memorial Day. It included a complete upper, and all the parts to finish the lower. I just got the stripped lowers a few weeks ago, and haven't made time to finish them.

But here we are, now. The last Black Friday before the election, and all the cool kids are getting locked and loaded for whatever 2020 has in store for us (HASHTAGCIVILWAR2020) and I'm wondering how many more guns I need, and what kind.

I don't have a shotgun. I don't have a larger caliber rifle. I have decided on 6.5 Creedmoor as my caliber of choice If I get one, and 12 gauge if I get a shotgun. I ain't got shit for armor piercing other than a box of 150 green tip m855s. Otherwise I got about another 600 rounds of 556, mostly m193.

I also have something like 6000 22lr in Remington Thunderbolts, Aguila Super Extra, and the ever popular CCI Mini-Mags, LRN and hollow point.

Every so often I think to myself "Hey man, wtf are you doing, anyway? What are you ever even going to do with all this shit? How many rounds do you really think you're going to get off before you take one to the dome? What's the plan? Do you even have a plan? Prolly nothing's gonna happen anyway." and right about then the great pumpkin comes out with some tweet dogwhistling about CIVIL WAR and shit, and I'm all like "maybe a dozen or so of those SCCY 9mms to pass out to muh friends and another couple hundred lbs of Pintos sounds like a good idea right about now."

So yeah... SATIRE? What the fuck is satire any more? When everything is satire, can anything really be satire?

Satire is dead. MAD Magazine shut down because reality got so stupid any parody of it is more sensible than reality itself. Satire is just a source of new ideas for people not smart enough to come up with any of their own. All that's left is to start stealing their ideas, which mostly boil down to "Buy more guns and keep a sharp eye out for bad ideas, especially the sarcastic ones."

Anyway, sorry you're sick. Hope you get to feeling better. I was sober when I started typing this, and then not so much by this point, but hey. Reality sets a pretty low bar these days, and I'm milking it for all it's worth.
Formerly something else...

Faust

Quote from: Bruno on November 08, 2019, 10:01:31 AM
Satire is dead. MAD Magazine shut down because reality got so stupid any parody of it is more sensible than reality itself. Satire is just a source of new ideas for people not smart enough to come up with any of their own. All that's left is to start stealing their ideas, which mostly boil down to "Buy more guns and keep a sharp eye out for bad ideas, especially the sarcastic ones."

As someone who was staunchly anti-gun, the last 3 years have really shaken that in me.

There is a theory that reality is a simulation run as an experiment, its possible the intern running the experiment was told by the boss to cut costs and we've had our RAM pulled and the intern is just looking at the spinning "Not responding" icon
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Johnny

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Faust

Yeah, it's making me really uncomfortable

"Every so often I think to myself "Hey man, wtf are you doing, anyway? What are you ever even going to do with all this shit? How many rounds do you really think you're going to get off before you take one to the dome? What's the plan? Do you even have a plan? Prolly nothing's gonna happen anyway." and right about then the great pumpkin comes out with some tweet dogwhistling about CIVIL WAR and shit, and I'm all like "maybe a dozen or so of those SCCY 9mms to pass out to muh friends and another couple hundred lbs of Pintos sounds like a good idea right about now."

Is a big red flag for me, Jerry, what scenario are you describing here exactly?

Because that reads like you are envisioning some last stand scenario which depending on the interpretation would place this gun thread somewhere between trigger warning (sorry, not sorry), and submit to tips.fbi.gov
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on November 08, 2019, 10:31:24 AM
Quote from: Bruno on November 08, 2019, 10:01:31 AM

As someone who was staunchly anti-gun, the last 3 years have really shaken that in me.

There is a theory that reality is a simulation run as an experiment, its possible the intern running the experiment was told by the boss to cut costs and we've had our RAM pulled and the intern is just looking at the spinning "Not responding" icon

I have been saying this for years, at least at a different level.

The Brits did not "lose" the revolution.  They threw the fight, and then walked away.  Just to see what would happen if you put all your crazy people in one place and didn't put anyone in charge.  It's an experiment.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on November 08, 2019, 12:37:40 PM
Yeah, it's making me really uncomfortable

"Every so often I think to myself "Hey man, wtf are you doing, anyway? What are you ever even going to do with all this shit? How many rounds do you really think you're going to get off before you take one to the dome? What's the plan? Do you even have a plan? Prolly nothing's gonna happen anyway." and right about then the great pumpkin comes out with some tweet dogwhistling about CIVIL WAR and shit, and I'm all like "maybe a dozen or so of those SCCY 9mms to pass out to muh friends and another couple hundred lbs of Pintos sounds like a good idea right about now."

Is a big red flag for me, Jerry, what scenario are you describing here exactly?

Because that reads like you are envisioning some last stand scenario which depending on the interpretation would place this gun thread somewhere between trigger warning (sorry, not sorry), and submit to tips.fbi.gov

The entirety of American culture revolves around heroic stupid last stands.  It's programmed right to the bone.

Just as the entirely of Canadian culture is about dying of exposure in the or drowning in the great lakes. 

It's true.  Look.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

It occurs to me that most serious gun collectors I know want a civil breakdown.  Probably to "simplify" things.  Which is in fact what would happen.

For example, if the logistics streams (food and gasoline) are interrupted by just 18 hours, things get REALLY simple.  By which I mean, "civilization is gone, there is no getting it going again, 295,000,000 people die within 3 years, and the remaining 30,000,000 live like rats.  And that's the last hot shower anyone gets for a thousand years.  We will of course drag Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean Islands, and Guatemala down with us, because 295 million people aren't going to sit still and starve.

Some people think that would be an improvement - or even a world worth surviving in - because our culture is just that sick.  They are wrong, of course.  Things can get worse than this.  Things can ALWAYS get worse than this.  Sweating the electric bill is one thing, death from starvation is another thing entirely.
Molon Lube