News:

'sup, my privileged, cishet shitlords?  I'm back from oppressing womyn and PoC.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Subpoenaed by Congress, but still refusing to testify

Started by altered, November 21, 2019, 05:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

Dumb fact of the day: The Tibetan Blackbird's scientific name is Turdus Maximus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tibetan_blackbird

probably should be the forum's mascot

minuspace

Quote from: Cramulus on June 03, 2020, 01:11:35 PM
Quote from: Freeky on June 03, 2020, 02:13:55 AM
so, i'm getting really big into alternative ways to grow crops n shit, because while my fiancee really wants to go a traditional farm that uses horse technology route, i think the reality is just really going to be way too onerous for the two of us alone to produce the majority of our food for, what, minimum of five people at this point, two of those have dedicated incomes from outside sources (bee is one of them), two of us are severely impaired by chronic illness (i'm one of them), and then boi is gonna be a teen so probably not real hot on unpaid labor, which is totally fair i feel.

i really like the idea of going with grow bags and sack farming, because you can grow so fucking much food in a square meter cube, it's ridiculous.

here's a rad fucking video about it, 2:43 long https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAXHn0-gxZA and here's another longer one, 11:26 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBGx5nPHp3M

that's cool, I'd never heard of sack farming

how much space do you have?
BALLS MARGIN CALL

Freeky

Quote from: Cramulus on June 03, 2020, 01:11:35 PM
so, i'm getting really big into alternative ways to grow crops n shit, because while my fiancee really wants to go a traditional farm that uses horse technology route, i think the reality is just really going to be way too onerous for the two of us alone to produce the majority of our food for, what, minimum of five people at this point, two of those have dedicated incomes from outside sources (bee is one of them), two of us are severely impaired by chronic illness (i'm one of them), and then boi is gonna be a teen so probably not real hot on unpaid labor, which is totally fair i feel.

i really like the idea of going with grow bags and sack farming, because you can grow so fucking much food in a square meter cube, it's ridiculous.

here's a rad fucking video about it, 2:43 long https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAXHn0-gxZA and here's another longer one, 11:26 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBGx5nPHp3M

that's cool, I'd never heard of sack farming

how much space do you have?

none, at the moment. they're working their student debt off, and i'm waiting for SSI hearings. we're hoping for at least a couple acres of property, but who knows honestly when we'll even be ready. ideally, a property with ten or more acres, which isn't impossible in some states, but we might have to settle, which is fine tbh! sack farming would do us well, and i've done a lot of research into how to feasibly do aquaponics and hydroponics.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Pergamos

My general experience with growing crops is that it is a lot of work.  Doing it different ways changes what sort of work that is, but not really the amount.

If you can find a way to grow food that is a sort of work you are comfortable doing it is totally worth it, but if you are chronically ill in a way that makes hard physical work impossible it's probably best to leave the food growing to the (sadly underpaid) professionals.

Freeky

Quote from: Pergamos on June 04, 2020, 05:05:41 AM

My general experience with growing crops is that it is a lot of work.  Doing it different ways changes what sort of work that is, but not really the amount.

If you can find a way to grow food that is a sort of work you are comfortable doing it is totally worth it, but if you are chronically ill in a way that makes hard physical work impossible it's probably best to leave the food growing to the (sadly underpaid) professionals.

i do accept that it's gonna be a lot of work, and i look forward to it honestly! walking is the most difficult. i can do it as long as it's not daytime and hot out, so i feel like if working in the heat is going to be a thing anyway, because that's when most growing seasons are, minimizing the distance i have to move will be of great help in making it more doable.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

chaotic neutral observer

I run a reasonably-sized hobby garden, about 30 ft. on each side.  If I wanted to scale up to the point where it accounted for a significant part of my food intake, I expect I would need to quit my job to take up gardening full-time, and invest several tens of thousands in equipment and land.

And then I'd spend the winter eating mostly potatoes and beans.

But I don't grow potatoes.  They're boring, and for a few bucks I can buy a bag at the grocery store.

Unless you're almost completely mechanized, gardening requires the equivalent of doing bad-form squats for hours on end.  If you have back or knee problems, it will severely exacerbate them.  And if walking is difficult for you...I don't think this is going to work out.  Sorry.

Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on June 04, 2020, 02:15:45 PM
I run a reasonably-sized hobby garden, about 30 ft. on each side.  If I wanted to scale up to the point where it accounted for a significant part of my food intake, I expect I would need to quit my job to take up gardening full-time, and invest several tens of thousands in equipment and land.

And then I'd spend the winter eating mostly potatoes and beans.

But I don't grow potatoes.  They're boring, and for a few bucks I can buy a bag at the grocery store.

Unless you're almost completely mechanized, gardening requires the equivalent of doing bad-form squats for hours on end.  If you have back or knee problems, it will severely exacerbate them.  And if walking is difficult for you...I don't think this is going to work out.  Sorry.

Odds are, you also don't have the horrible problem that the Tucson region has.

There's a very good reason we only grow cotton and pot here.

Also, imagine thinking that you can just read up on food crop hydroponics when people go to school for years to learn that.  Imagine having your water go sideways on you, without you even knowing it.  Imagine not even seeing there's a REASON people leave the farm for the city and never, ever go back.

"I can't walk much, so I'll farm."   :lulz:

Still, the potential humor value of this is fucking HUGE, so I'm gonna stop talking it down.
Molon Lube

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 04, 2020, 04:17:27 PM
Imagine not even seeing there's a REASON people leave the farm for the city and never, ever go back.

My great-grandfather was a farmer.  My grandfather was a farmer.  My father was a farmer.

I get paid to sit on my butt and solve math puzzles.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Trivial

I'm trying to make essome sock puppets for facebook, how much effort do people put into these things?
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Doktor Howl

[quote author=T̈́̄̎ͩͣͪ̎͌ͤ̔͛ͨͭ̒̏̊͋͛ȑͫͪͧͥ͒̄ͥ͆̽ͣ̏̚i͂̇̿́͒̋̊͒ͧ̔ͥ link=topic=38784.msg1440117#msg1440117 date=1591323166]
I'm trying to make essome sock puppets for facebook, how much effort do people put into these things?
[/quote]

I generally do the entire profile.

Unless I'm spoofing my MAC #, in which case it's a single shot deal, and cannot be used again after I shut off my machine.
Molon Lube

altered

I have seen a whole cop squad out at the local internet switch box, and the hotel night manager says that "they're doing maintenance but normally they call". Maintenance at midnight in a hotel. And it's all cops.

I'm paying close attention to signal strength and not connecting phone to wi-fi from now on. If it's happening here it's happening elsewhere. Be sane and aware.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Trivial

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 05, 2020, 03:50:13 AM
[quote author=T̈́̄̎ͩͣͪ̎͌ͤ̔͛ͨͭ̒̏̊͋͛ȑͫͪͧͥ͒̄ͥ͆̽ͣ̏̚i͂̇̿́͒̋̊͒ͧ̔ͥ link=topic=38784.msg1440117#msg1440117 date=1591323166]

I generally do the entire profile.

Unless I'm spoofing my MAC #, in which case it's a single shot deal, and cannot be used again after I shut off my machine.
[/quote]

I wanna lure an asshat to the Americans for Sarah Palin group.  I can't friend him on my main because his asshattery will fill whatever container it's put in.  Right now it's filling a friend of mine's feed and the other guy just lets it because they're both Navy.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Doktor Howl

I wanna lure an asshat to the Americans for Sarah Palin group.  I can't friend him on my main because his asshattery will fill whatever container it's put in.  Right now it's filling a friend of mine's feed and the other guy just lets it because they're both Navy.

So invite the buddy, then have HIM invite the asshat.
Molon Lube