News:

PD.com forums: a disorganized echo-chamber full of concordian, Greyfaced radical left-wing nutjobs who honestly believe they can take down imaginary Nazis by distributing flyers. They are highly-suspicious of all newcomers and hostile to almost everyone, including themselves. The only thing they don't take seriously is Discordianism.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Subpoenaed by Congress, but still refusing to testify

Started by altered, November 21, 2019, 05:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 05, 2020, 03:50:13 AM
Unless I'm spoofing my MAC #, in which case it's a single shot deal, and cannot be used again after I shut off my machine.

I am confuse.

How would facebook know the MAC address of your computer?  That's only used for packet switching on the local ethernet, and should be invisible past the first router.  I don't think even my ISP knows the MAC address of my desktop (they could probably find the MAC of my NAT box, if they cared).

Or is changing your MAC address just a way to get the ISP's DHCP server to give you a different IP address?
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Trivial

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 05, 2020, 03:19:24 PM
I wanna lure an asshat to the Americans for Sarah Palin group.  I can't friend him on my main because his asshattery will fill whatever container it's put in.  Right now it's filling a friend of mine's feed and the other guy just lets it because they're both Navy.

So invite the buddy, then have HIM invite the asshat.

Sigh... I suppose if you want to make things all simple and such.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

altered

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on June 05, 2020, 03:33:06 PM
Unless I'm spoofing my MAC #, in which case it's a single shot deal, and cannot be used again after I shut off my machine.

I am confuse.

How would facebook know the MAC address of your computer?  That's only used for packet switching on the local ethernet, and should be invisible past the first router.  I don't think even my ISP knows the MAC address of my desktop (they could probably find the MAC of my NAT box, if they cared).

Or is changing your MAC address just a way to get the ISP's DHCP server to give you a different IP address?

Depending on the service and the protocol, MAC addresses go quite far. Back in the Olden Days a MAC spoof was part two of a way to break into an ICQ (or was it MSN?) account without knowing login info. Facebook might well request the client MAC address for some reason, they have a ton of arcane shit on the back end.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: altered on June 05, 2020, 03:58:39 PM
Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on June 05, 2020, 03:33:06 PM

I am confuse.

Depending on the service and the protocol, MAC addresses go quite far. Back in the Olden Days a MAC spoof was part two of a way to break into an ICQ (or was it MSN?) account without knowing login info. Facebook might well request the client MAC address for some reason, they have a ton of arcane shit on the back end.

This is how they ban a user without banning everyone else in the house.  If you attempt to make a new account while banned (from the same MAC #), they will ask you for ID.  If you move your account to a different machine, they sometimes also ask you for ID.
Molon Lube

chaotic neutral observer

I'm not so much interested in what they would do with it, as in how they would get it.

If we're talking about a facebook app that you have running on your phone, well, I guess anything's possible?  I know very little about mobile platforms.

But if the only point of connection between you and facebook is web traffic over TCP/IP, then there shouldn't be any direct way of extracting the MAC address.   And although a webbrowser will report everything from your audio card's sampling rate to your keyboard layout, it doesn't seem that it is able to query your MAC address, unless it is somehow given permission to run unrestricted binaries on your machine.

Since MAC addresses are practically globally unique, this level of fingerprinting capability would constitute a hell of a security vulnerability.

P.S.:  I log into facebook on average once every six months, make of that what you will.

altered

You can absolutely use TCP/IP and HTML5 to establish a connection on a different protocol through the web browser. There are in fact Unity web games that have done it. In fact, when I was testing them (~2011), this was not considered a security risk and required no prompting.

Requesting MAC addresses when you shouldn't is done all the time, and they use them all the time even when they shouldn't. You can test this yourself all kinds of ways. But if you need an IPv6 address, you'll usually broadcast your MAC address to the universe anyway, because most IP providers use the device MAC for the low end of IPv6 addresses.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: altered on June 05, 2020, 04:59:13 PM
most IP providers use the device MAC for the low end of IPv6 addresses.
Ohhh.  Now I get it.

Even if your ISP / LAN / whatever doesn't support IPv6, practically every OS assigns itself a IPv6 link-local address, anyway, which has at least part of the MAC address embedded.

Asking a web browser "what are your local IP addresses?" is quite plausible (WebRTC appears to allow this).  So unless you have WebRTC or IPv6 entirely disabled...boom.

ETA:  This might not be the way they're actually doing it, but it does flip my mental switch from "I don't think that's possible" to "There's at least one way."

Cramulus

my fiance has challenged herself to write an erotic vampire short story every day.

Yesterday's story was titled "Oh no! My cat is a shapeshifting vampire who wants to fuck me"

LMNO

Cramulus

yeah that's the idea - crank out short stories, under 3000 words each, try to sell them (either 'pay what you want' or a dollar). Some funny, some straight-faced. She's got a YA novel in print, and a couple more on the stove, but keeps thrashing around and scrapping them when she gets new ideas. So short erotic vampire stories are a good "low hanging goal", just something to keep her writing every day.

Two days ago she wrote a story about a vampire who is only allowed to feed by licking blood off her mistress' boots. I think she may have found her genre.  :sexybeast:

Junkenstein

I think you could probably make way more than a dollar a pop.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Probably. But short-form erotic fiction is one of the most scalable and profitable writing ventures, even when selling that low.

You're more likely to make a living cranking 20-30 erotic stories a year than you are as an actual novelist. Especially if you go for more niche areas, like for furries and so on.

altered

Furfic can go for 10-20 bucks per flash fiction piece. Literally like a dollar a page. This doesn't scale up to novel size (usually 25 dollars is the ceiling for furfic regardless of length) but it's a hell of a lot of money.

I cannot imagine what the werewolf furries would pay. They already pay on average an order of magnitude more on fur suits than other furries. They probably would buy you a house in exchange for a three story collection.

(I know a lot of furries.)

Cramulus

where do you think is the best place to sling smut stories these days?

Cain

The interviews I was reading just had people doing it via Amazon, I believe.

No doubt other stores would probably offer better ratios, but less exposure