News:

For my part, I've replaced optimism and believing the best of people by default with a grin and the absolute 100% certainty that if they cannot find a pig to fuck, they will buy some bacon and play oinking noises on YouTube.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Subpoenaed by Congress, but still refusing to testify

Started by altered, November 21, 2019, 05:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Pergamos on June 19, 2020, 07:44:22 AM
I didn't like R Kelly's music before he got in trouble for peeing on a kid.  I feel like if he were singing about peeing on kids, instead of your usual R&B garbage he might be worth listening to.

:kingmeh:
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 19, 2020, 02:56:45 PM
Quote from: Faust on June 19, 2020, 07:13:10 AM
Warren Ellis unreservedly admitted what happened, with the only out he gave himself being he didn't realise he had any position of power.
He doesnt go into specifics, just apologised for everything and deplatformed himself

Did he admit that he offered to help or threaten to damage a career upon refusal?  Because that's the sticking point for me.

Looking at his statement, he did not admit to coercion.

He has basically admitted to running around on his SO.
Molon Lube

Faust

Warren Ellis unreservedly admitted what happened, with the only out he gave himself being he didn't realise he had any position of power.
He doesnt go into specifics, just apologised for everything and deplatformed himself

Did he admit that he offered to help or threaten to damage a career upon refusal?  Because that's the sticking point for me.
He used the get out of blanket apologizing for everything, but that initial get  out clause of "I had no idea" which has stuck in everyone's craw. Again that one person I watch Zoetica found the apology lacking to put it nicely.

"The truly odious aspect of the Warren Ellis "apology" are the bits about not manipulating anyone. He's engaged in an escalating, decades-long pattern of grooming and 𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙘𝙞𝙛𝙞𝙘𝙖𝙡𝙡𝙮 manipulating (often vulnerable) women toward dependence and complete submission."

And

"Warm thanks to everyone who's reached out to offer support and encouragement. The past 48 hours have been... Dark. There are over 50 of us sharing our experiences with Warren Ellis now. Learning the degree of what's been done to some of the others is nothing short of harrowing."

It's not one or two, if we are talking 50 women its a deliberate pattern of behavior. I suspect they have more to say on this in response to his damage control attempt.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

minuspace

QuoteIt's not one or two, if we are talking 50 women its a deliberate pattern of behavior.

I am going to suck right now but clearly we're going to have to move those goalposts. Instead of having them so far apart that way, how about even less distant but also closer in the other. [and I'm having some urticaria ATM so forgive the worm-speak]

ETA, closer in supporting role, obviously, related perhaps, history at least. I hate myself.

altered

Quote from: Faust on June 19, 2020, 05:42:17 PM

He used the get out of blanket apologizing for everything, but that initial get  out clause of "I had no idea" which has stuck in everyone's craw. Again that one person I watch Zoetica found the apology lacking to put it nicely.

"The truly odious aspect of the Warren Ellis "apology" are the bits about not manipulating anyone. He's engaged in an escalating, decades-long pattern of grooming and 𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙘𝙞𝙛𝙞𝙘𝙖𝙡𝙡𝙮 manipulating (often vulnerable) women toward dependence and complete submission."

And

"Warm thanks to everyone who's reached out to offer support and encouragement. The past 48 hours have been... Dark. There are over 50 of us sharing our experiences with Warren Ellis now. Learning the degree of what's been done to some of the others is nothing short of harrowing."

It's not one or two, if we are talking 50 women its a deliberate pattern of behavior. I suspect they have more to say on this in response to his damage control attempt.

I was honestly not aware of the numbers beyond "more than a couple" to "kind of a lot". 50 is ... distressing.

Yeah, I think that kind of colors his work an ugly shade now. Not so much that even the fans are horrid, not yet, but certainly too much for me to personally consume anything by him now.

"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Faust

Quote from: proword on June 19, 2020, 08:18:23 PM
QuoteIt's not one or two, if we are talking 50 women its a deliberate pattern of behavior.

I am going to suck right now but clearly we're going to have to move those goalposts. Instead of having them so far apart that way, how about even less distant but also closer in the other. [and I'm having some urticaria ATM so forgive the worm-speak]

ETA, closer in supporting role, obviously, related perhaps, history at least. I hate myself.
Moving goal posts?
I waited for more information and I got it, both from the apology which Im not satisfied with, from a source I trust, and now from what appears to be an overwhelming exploitative pattern. I reserved my opinion and I feel I was right to do so.
I wont be rushed, by freeky or anyone.  I am now confident there was a cycle and pattern to this, all that im now curious is if he ever promised access to other writers or industry people. Because as I said before: the former makes him a bad person that people would be justified not to buy his work again, we are at that point.
The latter indicates he should never work again because he exploited his role in a professional capacity.

minuspace

Quote from: Faust on June 19, 2020, 10:38:50 PM

Moving goal posts?
I waited for more information and I got it, both from the apology which Im not satisfied with, from a source I trust, and now from what appears to be an overwhelming exploitative pattern. I reserved my opinion and I feel I was right to do so.
I wont be rushed, by freeky or anyone.  I am now confident there was a cycle and pattern to this, all that im now curious is if he ever promised access to other writers or industry people. Because as I said before: the former makes him a bad person that people would be justified not to buy his work again, we are at that point.
The latter indicates he should never work again because he exploited his role in a professional capacity.

The trusted source would be good enough for me, the corroboration of which I"d have to offload of course. Otherwise, my skin's still crawling a bit.

Doktor Howl

Moving goal posts?

Same.

But you are arguing with someone who refuses to write a coherent sentence.

Molon Lube

minuspace

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 20, 2020, 05:09:56 AM

Moving goal posts?

Same.

But you are arguing with someone who refuses to write a coherent sentence.

No, I was unable, there is a clear distinction. And there was no argument. I honestly thought that if any numerical product of proof were required, it should not ONLY be coupled to the number of alleged victims, I would like to hear from their acquaintances/relations as well. This qualification would neither be necessary nor sufficient for the task at hand but it would help a stupid primate like me "judge" the situation from different aspects of my CNS. Don't presume to know my intentions, it's not like you.

Faust

I cant tell if I'm being insulted, you are a chatroullette bot that gained semi sentience, or both

minuspace

:lulz:

Look, every perception is a gamble, stop hedging your bets and things should clear up nicely.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: proword on June 20, 2020, 07:53:19 PM

Look, every perception is a gamble, stop hedging your bets and things should clear up nicely.

Yodaism 2020 champion!

:lol:
Molon Lube

Faust

I never hedge my bets or gamble, if you are referring to the discussion of the last few days, you'll see I wait until I can draw an informed conclusion

minuspace

Quote from: Faust on June 20, 2020, 08:44:16 PM

I never hedge my bets or gamble, if you are referring to the discussion of the last few days, you'll see I wait until I can draw an informed conclusion

I think you got that other discussion covered, which is more than I can say. I was mainly hitting back at:
Quote from: Faust on June 20, 2020, 07:25:55 PM
I cant tell if I'm being insulted, you are a chatroullette bot that gained semi sentience, or both
Because that WAS funny AND appreciated given that other actually serious accusation. I like you. Your a funny guy.

Now, if you don't mind, I have work to do  :news:

Faust